Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 11:14 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,010,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Google says 30 minutes to PHL from Cherry Hill and seems more likely much of the day.

There are closer locations in PA with nice hotels and the amenities you desire in places like Media, Springfield and Swarthmore.
Hmm im getting 21 minutes from the Holiday Inn i stayed at. But yeah, to each their own i guess. I just prefer Haddonfield, Collingswood and Cherry Hill over the latter said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
When I visited Yale in 2002, the city of New Haven was pretty off-putting. However, there was a park somewhere on the outskirts of the city that reminded me so much of a specific park in Western New York that I was forced to entertain the thought that I'd been transported home. It was a strange experience the likes of which I've only experienced one other time in my life...in the summer of 2022, I stumbled across an intersection in Chicago that strongly reminded me of an area of Buffalo near the city line. There have of course been other times when I've been in a place like Cleveland where I point out resemblance between my current surroundings and some part of my hometown, but only twice in my life have I been compelled to wonder, 'Wait, am I in Buffalo?' It's a cool if disorienting phenomenon
New Haven seems to have a lot of potential to me.

I once read a book about the history of New Haven and to this day I keep thinking that the city is more important than it actually is. I think this is because New Haven used to share capital city status with Hartford until the 1800s. In fact, New Haven was once the capital city of its own colony. Then you have Yale University, the New Haven Green and the old New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad, which was once of the nation's wealthiest railroads.

But that history still gives New Haven a strong sense of place and the start for a comeback. Then you add good rail transportation (because of the New Haven) a decent park system; including hilly wooded parks and even a shoreline park with a lighthouse, not to mention some museums, music and pizza!

https://ctvisit.com/listings/lighthouse-point-park (lighthouse)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_R...dge_State_Park

Old 02-13-2024, 07:40 AM

965 posts, read 724,888 times
Unless the 'total pie' is growing significantly for the NY CSA (a la smaller sunbelt cities atm), then the concept of reviving dead cities can't really be coordinated regionally. Cities recover by moving upwardly-mobile people and capital into them. By default, that implies that upwardly-mobile people and capital are moving out of somewhere else. So it's really a net zero-sum game, again unless there is significant expansion of the entire region, which there doesn't seem to be.

A good example of this was COVID. All of a sudden, the suburbs were hot: new restaurants, prices exploding through the roof, people leaving the city for for a bigger house with home offices, etc. But... look at what happened to Manhattan, it was a shell of it's former self. Some of that is starting to reverse.

I don't think there are many successful examples of this coordinated on the scale that is suggested here. Pockets maybe, but those are led locally. Danbury, CT has literally no interest in the shape of the recovery of Trenton, NJ (for example).

Old 02-13-2024, 08:43 AM

17,173 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post

A good example of this was COVID. All of a sudden, the suburbs were hot: new restaurants, prices exploding through the roof, people leaving the city for for a bigger house with home offices, etc. But... look at what happened to Manhattan, it was a shell of it's former self. Some of that is starting to reverse.

I don't think there are many successful examples of this coordinated on the scale that is suggested here. Pockets maybe, but those are led locally. Danbury, CT has literally no interest in the shape of the recovery of Trenton, NJ (for example).
It is?

Old 02-13-2024, 08:47 AM

965 posts, read 724,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
It is?
No, it was, before people started coming back. Did you go through midtown at all from 2021-2022? I did, every day (except for Fridays). And also, it's also still not fully recovered from pre-COVID. Certain parts are (West Village never really changed), but that is not true for all of it.

Old 02-14-2024, 09:33 PM

809 posts, read 469,277 times
Quote:
Unless the 'total pie' is growing significantly for the NY CSA (a la smaller sunbelt cities atm), then the concept of reviving dead cities can't really be coordinated regionally. Cities recover by moving upwardly-mobile people and capital into them. By default, that implies that upwardly-mobile people and capital are moving out of somewhere else. So it's really a net zero-sum game, again unless there is significant expansion of the entire region, which there doesn't seem to be.

This is why organizations like the Regional Plan Association exist and they are very effective at getting policy across the finish line in the tri-state area (ADUs, TODs, Climate, Congestion Pricing) so it's definitely more coordinated than you think, especially compared to other metropolitan areas in the country. All three governors (NY, NJ, CT) have attended their events and all three state legislatures have passed versions of their regional planning policies.

https://rpa.org/work/reports/commuter-dividend

https://rpa.org/work/reports/the-fourth-regional-plan

Old 02-15-2024, 06:16 AM

Quote:
No, it was, before people started coming back. Did you go through midtown at all from 2021-2022? I did, every day (except for Fridays). And also, it's also still not fully recovered from pre-COVID. Certain parts are (West Village never really changed), but that is not true for all of it.
agreed completely. Every city saw a noticeable shift.

Also, with inflation following immediately after COVID, the quality of everything has gone downhill quite fast too. I have not had a great lunch around my work in Manhattan in a while. Then around home, food quality declined too.

One of a mutual friends owns 7 bars, 5 of which is in Hoboken. Food sales and food heavy establishments are seeing a 20-30% decline in food sales YOY. Quality at places have gone down, and to keep a good quality means jacking prices up, and that risks losing customers.

So not just Manhattan, but everywhere.

Old 02-15-2024, 06:18 AM

8,492 posts, read 4,738,627 times
I don’t think so. People got smart and realized it’s too crammed and that better climates exist. You can only go so far when people don’t necessarily see an inherent value of the area.

Old 02-15-2024, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I don’t think so. People got smart and realized it’s too crammed and that better climates exist. You can only go so far when people don’t necessarily see an inherent value of the area.
But the population keeps going up in the NYC CSA. People have to be here for work. When people leave, there is a lot of people taking their place. Apartments are full. Houses are flying off the market still. People want to be here.

I would prefer to live in Charlotte or Greensboro or Greenville or Atlanta. However, the climate of the Northeast USA is more desirable to a lot of people. Its better for me. But not better for all.

Old 02-15-2024, 08:30 AM

1,047 posts, read 569,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
agreed completely. Every city saw a noticeable shift.

Also, with inflation following immediately after COVID, the quality of everything has gone downhill quite fast too. I have not had a great lunch around my work in Manhattan in a while. Then around home, food quality declined too.

One of a mutual friends owns 7 bars, 5 of which is in Hoboken. Food sales and food heavy establishments are seeing a 20-30% decline in food sales YOY. Quality at places have gone down, and to keep a good quality means jacking prices up, and that risks losing customers.

So not just Manhattan, but everywhere.
Yes.

It’s not just coastal or big cities, it’s all around the country.

Just look at this deal in Bentonville AK of all places. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...=srp-list-card

A shad of a house that’s $1.285 million with $1,098 per square foot. In Arkansas.

(WSJ did a piece on Bentonville a while ago re. the town being considered “hip” by many young people, people are moving there in droves….etc. I only know it as the headquarter of Walmart.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.