Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 09:34 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times

Advertisements

I guess I can say White Plains, NY and Stamford, CT are healthy places with Newark trying to grow steadily. We all know JC and Hoboken are used as just as fancy extensions of Manhattan.

But Bridgeport, New Haven, Waterbury in CT
Allentown, Scranton in PA
Trenton in NJ.
Parts of Long Island, Rockland county and duchess county.

Manhattan (and Philly if you are in NJ and PA) seems to be focal point of the entire metro area but would it better if Manhattan cooled off on the building and corporations became more open minded in investing in the surrounding cities in CT and NJ that appear to be somewhat flat?

I mean the talent pool is there and the transportation is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2023, 09:44 AM

188 posts, read 127,303 times
I thought Allentown and Bethlehem are already seeing a lot of revitalization. Not sure what's happening in Scranton though. It's a little detached. Trenton for sure should, given the location between Philadelphia and NYC and being on the nec and served by septa/njt. Kind of surprised it hasn't already, I mean it's the state capital.

Old 07-27-2023, 09:45 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,080,928 times
There's already regional economic associations in place to address some of this. But yeah an even deeper focus on all of these economically depressed, impoverished, post-industrial cities (and others not listed) in the region would be a good thing. Not sure it will ever be as impactful as needed being that these states all have their own problems to deal with first.

Old 07-27-2023, 11:14 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
New Haven is not a dead city by any means. Its actually pretty damn nice.

Old 07-27-2023, 11:16 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
You need to revisit Allentown and nearby Bethlehem. Those areas are the definition healthy/improving areas and quite charming.

Allentown has a steadily growing population, strong downtown investment, a growing tourism industry, nearby prestigious Lehigh University, and the Lehigh Valley is an increasingly affluent region and attractive more affordable alternative to suburban NYC and PHL.

I'd say most cities in the NYC / PHL sphere are doing well, Scranton is kinda far to be in the sphere of those areas.
Trenton is the biggest outlier in terms of where it is at vs. where it should be.

Old 07-27-2023, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
New Haven is not a dead city by any means. Its actually pretty damn nice.
What’s going over there as far as revitalizing?

Old 07-27-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
You need to revisit Allentown and nearby Bethlehem. Those areas are the definition healthy/improving areas and quite charming.

Allentown has a steadily growing population, strong downtown investment, a growing tourism industry, nearby prestigious Lehigh University, and the Lehigh Valley is an increasingly affluent region and attractive more affordable alternative to suburban NYC and PHL.

I'd say most cities in the NYC / PHL sphere are doing well, Scranton is kinda far to be in the sphere of those areas.
Trenton is the biggest outlier in terms of where it is at vs. where it should be.
The only growth I know of the two are New Yorkers moving there. Well that’s good to know

Old 07-27-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skintreesnail View Post
I thought Allentown and Bethlehem are already seeing a lot of revitalization. Not sure what's happening in Scranton though. It's a little detached. Trenton for sure should, given the location between Philadelphia and NYC and being on the nec and served by septa/njt. Kind of surprised it hasn't already, I mean it's the state capital.
Trenton, Camden and Atlantic City are cities I would love to see a boom occur.

Old 07-27-2023, 12:36 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
What’s going over there as far as revitalizing?
a lot that i couldn't remember or list, but its been in a revitalization mode since before i got to college in CT in 2012. It's honestly a very beautiful diverse little coastal city.

Very different than Waterbury - which is hellish in some areas. Bridgeport is bad too but Id still take that over the Dirty Water all day.

Old 07-27-2023, 01:12 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
a lot that i couldn't remember or list, but its been in a revitalization mode since before i got to college in CT in 2012. It's honestly a very beautiful diverse little coastal city.
I feel Bridgeport is finally on the mend, but Hartford, New London and Waterbury really need help.
Very different than Waterbury - which is hellish in some areas. Bridgeport is bad too but Id still take that over the Dirty Water all day.
Yeah, New Haven hasn't been bad for years. It used to be a basket case, but that was 30+ years ago. I feel Bridgeport is finally on the mend, but Hartford, New London and Waterbury really need help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.