Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 12:53 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
First let's not confuse population metrics. There's UA by Census definition, and then there's Demographia's definitions. Those two are entirely different. The point was to show that they both are relatively same population from center of town, until the actual larger area in DC begins to show it. Also the population jumping Philly's at 20 to 25 mi radius is more due to adding land area in the NOVA suburbs that run way deeper away from center of town, even more than it is adding population along the stretch of suburban MD, although it is a bit of both.

There are very little exurbs within 20 or 25 miles of DC. You're in some form of suburban/urban corridor along that stretch from NOVA until you pass north of Baltimore. If there were an exurb near DC, or Baltimore, it wouldn't be counted for in the urbanized area. A better illustration with a UA map from Demographia showing which actual land area is being included would be most relevant here.
Where is the contiguous urban corridor that connects Boston to Portsmouth? Cause I can’t find it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2023, 08:15 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Where is the contiguous urban corridor that connects Boston to Portsmouth? Cause I can’t find it?
Well if you noticed, that's why the densities seen under the Demographia metric show Boston's being much lower than the other large urban areas. It's much more elongated from the central core to that end point, and Portsmouth is 60 miles from DT Boston.

Old 07-31-2023, 08:17 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Population Density per sq mi (the West/ Southwest really stands out):

Los Angeles, CA- 6,201

San Francisco-San Jose, CA- 5,709
Las Vegas, NV- 5,372

Miami, FL- 4,737
New York, NY-NJ-CT- 4,607
San Diego, CA- 4,258
Denver, CO- 4,117

Portland, OR-WA- 3,911
Salt Lake City, UT- 3,774
Phoenix, AZ- 3,662
San Antonio, TX- 3,599
Washington-Baltimore, DC-VA-MD- 3,593
Houston, TX- 3,414
Dallas-Fort Worth, TX- 3,410
Chicago, IL-IN-WI- 3,348
Seattle, WA- 3,169

Tampa-St. Petersburg, FL- 2,841
Orlando, FL- 2,834
Philadelphia, PA-NJ-DE-MD- 2,767
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN-WI- 2,660
Detroit, MI- 2,561
St. Louis, MO-IL- 2,275
Boston-Providence, MA-RI-NH-CT-ME- 2,019

Atlanta, GA- 1,917
Cleveland, OH- 1,828
Charlotte, NC-SC- 1,815
I unusually omitted Miami which density is 4th overall here.

Old 07-31-2023, 08:59 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Well if you noticed, that's why the densities seen under the Demographia metric show Boston's being much lower than the other large urban areas. It's much more elongated from the central core to that end point, and Portsmouth is 60 miles from DT Boston.
Specifically which towns would you consider Urban

Ipswich? Rye? Merrimack? Kingston?

Which towns form a contiguous urban corridor to Portsmouth?

Old 07-31-2023, 09:00 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The real issue is it going up to Maine. And DC going out into PA/WV.
How far into ME does the demographia definition go? I assumed it was just to Kittery, which makes perfect sense to be included since it’s a close-in suburb of Portsmouth and a popular shopping destination for people in the North Shore / Seacoast.

Old 07-31-2023, 10:34 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
How far into ME does the demographia definition go? I assumed it was just to Kittery, which makes perfect sense to be included since it’s a close-in suburb of Portsmouth and a popular shopping destination for people in the North Shore / Seacoast.
i don't see the map and I have no idea what people in Portsmouth do. One you're out of Massachusetts and Rhode island? idk.

Old 07-31-2023, 11:00 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Boston netting Providence and Washington netting Baltimore seems premature at this point in terms of development and transit. Maybe in a decade or so, but right now seems kind of silly.

Old 07-31-2023, 11:35 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Boston netting Providence and Washington netting Baltimore seems premature at this point in terms of development and transit. Maybe in a decade or so, but right now seems kind of silly.
what would supposedly change in a decade?

Old 07-31-2023, 11:37 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Quote:
More people working from home instead of commuting cross counties

Old 07-31-2023, 12:31 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
For Washington - Baltimore, there's supposedly going to upgrades to the bridges going over the Potomac which means MARC (and Amtrak) services from the Baltimore area will go over to job and resident dense Northern Virginia and potentially with potentially good frequency turning it into a regional rail with that region being Washington and Baltimore urban areas combined: https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...ains-virginia/

Trains running serving Baltimore's Penn Station are also seeing some large improvements, though only Penn Line for MARC would be using them. Amtrak's Northeast Corridor is going to be able to expand capacity, but Amtrak's sort of too pricey for most people to really be much of a commuter or frequent daytrip kind of service.

There's likely fill-in development in the Maryland suburbs between the two with Montgomery, Howard, and Baltimore County all notching growth and with a fair chance of that growing.

Boston and Providence is trickier as there's no real major plan that's in serious talks of completion within a decade for greatly improving services within a decade as far as I know and there's an extremely low chance I think of Boston having through-running, regional rail. However, Bristol County which is part of the Providence MSA (maybe urban area?) is slated to get commuter rail service to add on to the current commuter rail service in the region via the Providence line. The counties between Providence and Boston are also pretty likely to grow and infill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.