Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 01:58 PM

37,280 posts, read 39,596,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Never heard mention of it.

NH is "im a car guy" territory anyway.

Not after we rail them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2023, 02:05 PM

6,823 posts, read 6,084,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, that sucks. Does it seem likely that within a decade there'd be a MBTA Commuter Rail extension to NH?
NH really doesn’t want to invest in commuter rail. And if the MBTA could somehow beg or bully the state into supporting an extension, Lowell to Manchester is a much bigger deal than Newburyport to Portsmouth.

Old 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM

14,053 posts, read 15,087,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
There's not, doesnt exist. The MBTA doesn't have Commuter Rail or bus service to New Hampshire.

A lot of this is just the cultural influence of Boston's sports/museums/tourist areas IMO.

So much of the "Boston Area" is exurban low-density towns with no practical day-to-day connections to Boston.
Generally eastern Metros where Boston, Philly, DC, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Cleveland where 90%+ of its MSA is in even the Census’s urban area is kind of absurd.

While it’s true like Acton, MA is part of Metro Boston it’s not part of urban Boston. And there are a lot of towns like that. Horsham Township, PA? Metro Philly? Yes, Urban Philly? No.

Old 08-01-2023, 03:09 PM

861 posts, read 706,835 times
I am a DC resident that goes to college in Massachusetts, so I'll chip in here.

In the past, I would have put DC and Baltimore in separate areas, often because of commuting patterns. However, with the rise of remote work, these commute patterns don't exist anymore. Nowadays, due to the overlap in suburbs between the two cities, I would put them in the same urban area. I would say Columbia is "local" but would NOT say that Front Royal is local. Going to college in Worcester Massachusetts, I agree that it and Providence feels very much part of the Boston Area.

Most large urban areas these days are somewhat polycentric. This includes Dallas, Miami, Philadelphia, SLC, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Seattle. This is also common outside the US, with polycentric urban areas including Tokyo, Guangzhou, Osaka, Cologne, Brisbane, and Johannesburg. DC and Baltimore are one urban area, and a trip between the two either on Route 1, I-95, or the two Marc lines that go up to Baltimore, you can tell that they are one cohesive area.

Old 08-01-2023, 05:20 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,143 posts, read 7,612,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Generally eastern Metros where Boston, Philly, DC, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Cleveland where 90%+ of its MSA is in even the Census’s urban area is kind of absurd.

While it’s true like Acton, MA is part of Metro Boston it’s not part of urban Boston. And there are a lot of towns like that. Horsham Township, PA? Metro Philly? Yes, Urban Philly? No.
For DC at least, that number's more like 80% not 90% of the MSA.

DC's Census based UA is right at 4,000 pp sq/mi, and more dense than those others by a good margin. It's the 3rd most dense UA on the Eastern Seaboard after NYC and Miami, and the 4th is Baltimore. The Census UA doesn't really go that much far outside the main Beltway ring of suburbs. It doesn't include Fredericksburg area, nor Waldorf, and at that metric is still kept separate from Baltimore's UA.

Taking a look at the US Census UA map gives a much clearer picture of how condensed it looks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rban_areas.svg

Last edited by the resident09; 08-01-2023 at 05:39 PM..

Old 08-01-2023, 05:31 PM

14,053 posts, read 15,087,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
For DC at least, that number's more like 80% not 90% of the MSA.

DC's Census based UA is right at 4,000 pp sq/mi, and more dense than those others by a good margin. The Census UA doesn't really go that much far outside the main Beltway ring of suburbs. It doesn't include Fredericksburg area, nor Waldorf, and at that metric is still kept separate from Baltimore's UA.

Taking a look at the US Census UA map gives a much clearer picture of how condensed it looks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rban_areas.svg
Yeah DC has the advantage of being somewhat sunbeltish in that it sprawled into agricultural land like Dallas vs small town America like Boston/Philly/NY and has a smoother density profile as a result. However, most cities not LA, LV, SLC, SF, Phoenix etc where you basically have 6,000 pppsm neighborhoods… Wall… empty desert have oversized UAs because the threshold IMO is probably less than 1/2 it really should be if we were being honest. Maybe like 2,750 rather than 1,000.

But even on that map you can see Balt/DC do have a tenuous connection and a realistic lower threshold of urban would almost certainly split them up.

Old 08-01-2023, 05:48 PM

1,211 posts, read 810,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey the Otter View Post
I am a DC resident that goes to college in Massachusetts, so I'll chip in here.

In the past, I would have put DC and Baltimore in separate areas, often because of commuting patterns. However, with the rise of remote work, these commute patterns don't exist anymore. Nowadays, due to the overlap in suburbs between the two cities, I would put them in the same urban area. I would say Columbia is "local" but would NOT say that Front Royal is local. Going to college in Worcester Massachusetts, I agree that it and Providence feels very much part of the Boston Area.

Most large urban areas these days are somewhat polycentric. This includes Dallas, Miami, Philadelphia, SLC, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Seattle. This is also common outside the US, with polycentric urban areas including Tokyo, Guangzhou, Osaka, Cologne, Brisbane, and Johannesburg. DC and Baltimore are one urban area, and a trip between the two either on Route 1, I-95, or the two Marc lines that go up to Baltimore, you can tell that they are one cohesive area.
Osaka is one of those case that is somewhat resemble the DC-Baltimore situation. Osaka and Kyoto definitely has separate sphere of influence (Osaka and Kobe blend more towards each other as they are closer) and depends on metric, Osaka-Kobe is sometimes separated from Kyoto. Even the commuting pattern of Osaka tells the story - towards Kyoto a lot of local trains terminate at Takatsuki (the city furthest NE in Osaka Prefecture) whereas basically all trains towards Kobe ran between the two cities.

The bottom line is, Osaka-Kobe is DFW while Osaka-Kyoto is DC-Baltimore. But the like of Demographia groups all of them together regardless.

Old 08-01-2023, 05:59 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,143 posts, read 7,612,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Osaka is one of those case that is somewhat resemble the DC-Baltimore situation. Osaka and Kyoto definitely has separate sphere of influence (Osaka and Kobe blend more towards each other as they are closer) and depends on metric, Osaka-Kobe is sometimes separated from Kyoto. Even the commuting pattern of Osaka tells the story - towards Kyoto a lot of local trains terminate at Takatsuki (the city furthest NE in Osaka Prefecture) whereas basically all trains towards Kobe ran between the two cities.

The bottom line is, Osaka-Kobe is DFW while Osaka-Kyoto is DC-Baltimore. But the like of Demographia groups all of them together regardless.
Yep. Guangzhou-Dongguan, or Johannesburg-Pretoria are also other international examples of this.

Old 08-01-2023, 06:23 PM

21,770 posts, read 12,907,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Yeah DC has the advantage of being somewhat sunbeltish in that it sprawled into agricultural land like Dallas vs small town America like Boston/Philly/NY and has a smoother density profile as a result. However, most cities not LA, LV, SLC, SF, Phoenix etc where you basically have 6,000 pppsm neighborhoods… Wall… empty desert have oversized UAs because the threshold IMO is probably less than 1/2 it really should be if we were being honest. Maybe like 2,750 rather than 1,000.

But even on that map you can see Balt/DC do have a tenuous connection and a realistic lower threshold of urban would almost certainly split them up.
Its very sunbeltish...

with the exception of NYC all true northeastern legacy metros are definitely bloated to fit the definition more applicable in more newly settled areas of the country where the majority of the American population lives.

Baltimore and DC connection development-wise is strong IMHO. Its cultural and actual cross-commuter patterns where it's weak. Also their economic trajectories diverge pretty significantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.