Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 06:28 AM

810 posts, read 474,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
It sounds like your experiences with some of these cities are limited to specific neighborhoods. There are different vibes elsewhere in cities like New York and Denver. I honestly think New York would be the best fit for your criteria, and as a recently-single 40 year-old myself, NYC offers more than most places, IMO. Denver does feel younger in many areas downtown, but IMO the Capitol Hill neighborhood and places a bit east of there like around Cheesman Park felt a little older and quieter.

I think Norwalk is probably the worst place you could land, and I'm not particularly a fan of Raleigh. I'd advise checking into New York, some other parts of Denver than where you're familiar, or coach yourself up for a move to a new city with no ties. Philly and Chicago would be on my short list.
What? Norwalk is just fine (clean, diverse, nice beach/marine culture yet still in the tri-state area) and there ~30 trains a day into NYC via Metro-North as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 01:10 PM

5,524 posts, read 8,790,702 times
Take a look at Stamford CT, a bit more bustling than Norwalk, feels a tad more urbane IMO, easy to get to beach or NYC for getaways, and feels mature but not old—a lot of corporate offices in and around it. But it’s still a smallish urban area, walkable in areas, and enough nightlife to be pleasant. Simone also mentioned White Plains NY, which has a similar vibe.

Old 08-07-2023, 01:36 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,616,563 times
I vote for Raleigh. Being the research triangle it will have science types from around the world. Big enough for a singles scene but not overwhelming.

The fact that you have a friend there will be the bonus.

Old 08-10-2023, 06:14 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,814,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post

I don't like NOVA. I don't hate it, but I would never voluntarily choose to live in metro DC. I don't like the city (too sterile), the sprawl, the heat but no beach, the cold but no snow.
If DC is too sterile, too sprawly, and has too much heat with no beach, then you will not like Raleigh.

Old 08-10-2023, 07:02 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,443,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
If DC is too sterile, too sprawly, and has too much heat with no beach, then you will not like Raleigh.
But Raleigh is cheaper and not to bad from the beach.
I cant stand paying a premium price to be in DC without getting the NY vibe or the beautiful scenery.

Old 08-10-2023, 07:22 PM

Quote:
But Raleigh is cheaper and not to bad from the beach.
I cant stand paying a premium price to be in DC without getting the NY vibe or the beautiful scenery.
It is cheaper, but rents and home prices have gone up quite a bit. The closest beach is 2 hours away. Traffic is a lot better than the DC Metro, but there is no mass transit other than buses, so you are driving everywhere. The Triangle is similar to NoVA without a big city next to it. DC is bigger, more vibrant, and more unique than Raleigh. The Triangle overall is a friendly, pleasant, easy place to live but is still very suburbanish. It would not be my first pick for a single 40-year old.

--My 2 cents as someone who lived in DC for 20+ years and the Triangle for 10+ years.

Old 08-13-2023, 11:20 AM

1,264 posts, read 2,443,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
It is cheaper, but rents and home prices have gone up quite a bit. The closest beach is 2 hours away. Traffic is a lot better than the DC Metro, but there is no mass transit other than buses, so you are driving everywhere. The Triangle is similar to NoVA without a big city next to it. DC is bigger, more vibrant, and more unique than Raleigh. The Triangle overall is a friendly, pleasant, easy place to live but is still very suburbanish. It would not be my first pick for a single 40-year old.

--My 2 cents as someone who lived in DC for 20+ years and the Triangle for 10+ years.
What would be your pick?
Keep in mind I am not in NOVA person or DC.
I find Arlington too trendy, young, and faux.
Do not like DC, again too sterile, faux, and pricey.

If I want a big city or big rent price, I want NY metro, not some wannabe NY.

Old 08-13-2023, 11:54 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,369,156 times
Quote:
What would be your pick?

How does that make it a wannabe NYC?

Old 08-13-2023, 09:43 PM

Quote:
What would be your pick?

I am not familiar with Denver or Norwalk to comment on those. For cities not on your list, I like the suggestions of Philly or Richmond. Charlotte might also work as it is larger and more urban than Raleigh. Of course if professional hockey is high on your list then Richmond or Charlotte wouldn't work.

I will note that one thing that Raleigh does have over NoVA is that the people are more down to earth and are pretty friendly. There is less "putting on airs" than in DC/NoVA. I think if you come down and rent an Air B&B for a week or perhaps stay with your friend, you can get a better feel for the city. Its downtown core is pretty small and it gets suburban quickly, but maybe you will find the sweet spot. You should probably check out Durham, too if you visit. Good luck!

Old 08-14-2023, 07:55 AM

12,885 posts, read 9,628,061 times
Denver is out if you're against trendiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.