Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 06:19 PM

19,799 posts, read 9,336,681 times

Advertisements

I don't put much stock in "Best places to --" polls because different people have different ideas as far as what is a good place to live. So, this post is just to get an idea of how people who actually live in a place feel/think about that place.

So, for anyone who wants to chime in --

Where do you live -- and are you: Very Happy, Mostly Happy, Mostly Unhappy, Very Unhappy, or 'Half and Half'? If you want to offer any explanation for your answer, please do so -- but please remember that these are all nothing but opinions, and that what one person finds to be a definite plus, someone else might consider that to be a definite minus.

I will start:

Door County, Wisconsin -- Very Happy

Beautiful scenery, four seasons climate, many walking trails, mostly affluent rural community, and clean (virtually no trash or graffiti)

Next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2023, 07:07 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Fun thread idea

New York City (Manhattan).

Mostly happy.

Pros: I love the opportunities, diversity, walk-ability, endless food, dining, cultural options, the shopping, the energy. It's unmatched anywhere else in the US and even most of the world, and I thrive off this type of environment.

Cons: Cost of living. One can make a great living and still be limited in terms of purchasing power, it gets old as I get older.

Old 08-01-2023, 08:01 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Rino/Five Points Denver

Mostly happy, it would be very happy if I could afford a home here.

Old 08-01-2023, 09:01 PM

6,373 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Lakewood, WA (Tacoma suburb)

Half and half. Moved up from CA for a job, paying rent month-to-month while I figure out where I really want to live.

Cons: Zero walkability, just a bedroom community with some strip malls. Doesn't even have a cute downtown. Has a kind of depressing, unfriendly feel that's hard to put into words --- people seem to just stay inside rather than engaging with the community or outdoor activities; I never see anyone running or biking recreationally. A lot of the streets that function as major arterials are just wooded two-lane roads --- it's like the residents don't actually want people passing through. I don't get this vibe from most Seattle suburbs.

Pros: You're still close to Seattle, Tacoma, and Olympia and can take advantage of what they have to offer. And it's still a naturally beautiful part of the country with a climate that rarely gets uncomfortable. Doesn't feel rich or overly "cool" in a way that makes you feel poor and lame. COL is low-ish by Seattle area standards, although Pierce County in general is climbing fast.

Old 08-01-2023, 09:11 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
D.C. area - mostly unhappy

Why? Winters still too cold for me, no sense of place, climber mentality and intellectual mediocrity, people enthusiastic only about whatever the current elite fad is. People who want to be famous go to L.A., people who want to be rich go to New York, people who want to be important go to D.C. Unfortunately that is the ambition I find most objectionable.

Old 08-01-2023, 10:10 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Brooklyn, NY, NYC - mostly happy

Pros: Best city in the US, and arguably, the world. Access to anything and everything within minutes by train. Amazing, different very vibrant neighborhoods, incredible and unlimited supply of phenomenal restaurants, nonstop great nightlife, world best culture, unlimited bar options, diversity and cultures from all over the world.

Cons: the crowds of people in popular areas, when you aren't in the mood, can become a bit annoying and frustrating. Cost of living is high--rent and daily expenses can be steep, even on 200-300k per year.

Old 08-01-2023, 10:34 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times
Panama City Beach, FL - Pretty happy

I live 2 miles from the Gulf. We have nice weather most of the year. Gentle breezes coming in off the Gulf. Lots and I mean lots of things to do in town.

Go carts, mini golf, arcades, axe throwing, bowling, theater, snorkeling, jet skis, parasailing, fishing, escape rooms, zoo, aquarium, water parks, piers, sandy beaches, swimming, golf, Ripley's museum, shells, dig a hole in the sand, it's a real thing that a lot of tourists do, shop, eat, drink, get a tan, get a sunburn.

People spend good money all the time to come vacation where I live. I like to remark that I live on vacation.

Cons: Traffic can be heavy at certain times of the year. I just stay close to home or venture out early or late when traffic is lighter. Always a risk of a hurricane. Costs tend to run high in a tourist town.

Oh, did I mention we have some of the cleanest beaches and crystal clear sparkling water? The sand is like baby powder and doesn't have a lot of broken shells in it. You can stroll the beach barefoot and not have to worry about sharp shells.

I've posted this photo before. But just in case you were wondering what the beaches here look like like:

Old 08-02-2023, 05:16 AM

2,045 posts, read 782,588 times
Philadelphia, PA - Half and half.

Pros: Convenience, four seasons, good sandwich scene, passionate sports fans, our bills are very low, my immediate neighborhood is pretty good.

Cons: Too much diversity, too much litter, dumping and graffiti, too many aggressive, rude, loud people, too much violence, lousy mayor, DA and city council that are tolerant of crime and quality of life issues, police have been neutered, parking, too much attention to race instead of excellence, too many crazies and junkies roaming the streets. Philly is mostly a dump, basically.

Old 08-02-2023, 05:32 AM

468 posts, read 465,572 times
Bloomington Indiana- we love it

Pros- we love the rolling hills, trees, plenty of places to walk, several nearby state parks, Indiana University located here, weather is decent and not the hot humid hell we lived through in coastal Florida

Cons- no Costco, Trader Joe's, or Home Depot

Old 08-02-2023, 06:40 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Brickell/Miami. Very happy.

Clean, modern, walkable urban living with solid amenities, year round warm weather climate, 15 minutes from 2 beaches, 15-17 minutes from the airport, and proximity to several other neighborhoods within a consistent 10-20 minutes.

Cons: will become more / too congested in about 3-5 years.

Last edited by elchevere; 08-02-2023 at 06:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.