Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 09:46 PM

1,230 posts, read 991,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I like sweatpants in the winter at home. I don't usually wear them outside except when walking for exercise and it's damn near freezing outside.

I will never give up sweatpants and sweatshirts.
I don’t know where he is going with the generation thing as some cities seem to be more into sweatpants than other cities.

I hope we get some southerners here that can comment is it custom not to wear sweatpants out of the house or is it just too hot there.

Take Texas or Florida as an example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2023, 04:37 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
I don’t know where he is going with the generation thing as some cities seem to be more into sweatpants than other cities.

I hope we get some southerners here that can comment is it custom not to wear sweatpants out of the house or is it just too hot there.

From Louisiana, I don't notice much of a difference. In the winter, people wear them inside or outside. Doesn't really matter what you wear if you're just running to the store or picking up someone from the airport.

Old 08-31-2023, 04:49 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:

I lived in FL for 9 years and NC for 1.5… there is NOT a big difference. If anything, you trade your Adidas pants in for shorts during the summer down south. But un the winter? Absolutely no difference. If Orlando or Charlotte had the weather of Philadelphia or Boston, they would be on the list at the top too.

Like I said, its more of a generational thing (GenZ more likely to wear these than older gens). Its not south vs north.

Old 08-31-2023, 10:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I'm in my office at work right now, wearing lightweight jogging/sweat pants, have several and have been wearing them here since June. I just like to be comfortable and with hybrid work now there are not many people here, and despite our "business casual" policy no one has said anything. Walking the streets in Seattle you are most likely going to see men in khakis or nice jeans, women in yoga pants.

Old 08-31-2023, 10:19 AM

12,833 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I'm in my office at work right now, wearing lightweight jogging/sweat pants, have several and have been wearing them here since June. I just like to be comfortable and with hybrid work now there are not many people here, and despite our "business casual" policy no one has said anything. Walking the streets in Seattle you are most likely going to see men in khakis or nice jeans, women in yoga pants.
It's 90 degrees in SoCal right now. I still wear sweatpants indoors. Ok, not 90 now, but it's been 90+ these last few days.

Old 08-31-2023, 12:13 PM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
I came across this articles today of US cities where people like to wear sweatpants.

Although it could also just be the thousands upon thousands of annoying college kids who love to moan, "I, like, can't even believe I left the house like this," because they're wearing sweatpants and Ugg, as if that in itself isn't a blatant fashion statement, but who knows. "It's nebulous," Michael Scott might say.

Here's the top 20 in full:

Philadelphia, PA
Hartford, CT
Pittsburgh, PA
Lafayette, LA
Laredo, TX
Boston, MA
New York, NY
Los Angeles, CA
Victoria, TX
Scranton, PA
Salt Lake City, UT
Marquette, MI
Milwaukee, WI
Washington, DC
Austin, TX
Watertown, MA
Jacksonville, FL
Idaho Falls, ID
Providence, RI
Chicago, IL
Take that, New York!

https://www.americaninno.com/boston/...st-sweatpants/

-
I knew the Bay Area wasnt going to be on this list--that's not really a thing here.

Old 09-01-2023, 06:11 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,165 times
Surprising or not surprising that Colorado's not on the list? I think here it's a lot of leggings/yogapants/spandex and Ughs (yes, pun-ishment).

Old 09-01-2023, 10:22 AM

1,230 posts, read 991,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I’m surprised Seattle has done a 360 degree after 90s and early 2000s grunge fashion of ripped jeans and flannel shirt.

Old 09-01-2023, 06:10 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
If Boston never got too white collar, it’d probably be them. But id agree here
Slightly off topic, but I'm curious if it's a common thing for people in Boston to wear pajama bottoms outside of the house.

I've seen mostly women wearing them for a quick WaWa or Walmart trip or during the winter when they want to feel warm and comfortable (especially at Eagles home games during December)... I remember seeing them worn in high school too.

Old 09-01-2023, 06:57 PM

6,793 posts, read 4,236,377 times
I wear them to take out the garbage and for little else. I'd never go out in public wearing sweatpants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.