Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 04:50 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
What makes you think that Boston or Philadelphia are especially fit cities?
I don't know about Philly. But Boston is pretty fit, at least among younger people. Here is the % of college-educated women with a Normal BMI in Massachusetts.

18 to 24: 73.2%
25 to 29: 57.7%
30 to 34: 51.6%
35 to 39: 58.7%

Here is the same demographic for Texas.

18 to 24: 51.5%
25 to 29: 44.6%
30 to 34: 42.3%
35 to 39: 33.3%

BMIs are lower in Mass even after accounting for race and educational attainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2023, 10:24 PM

6,793 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't know about Philly. But Boston is pretty fit, at least among younger people. Here is the % of college-educated women with a Normal BMI in Massachusetts.

18 to 24: 73.2%
25 to 29: 57.7%
30 to 34: 51.6%
35 to 39: 58.7%

Here is the same demographic for Texas.

18 to 24: 51.5%
25 to 29: 44.6%
30 to 34: 42.3%
35 to 39: 33.3%

BMIs are lower in Mass even after accounting for race and educational attainment.

It looks to me like those are state stats, not city stats, so you're not comparing Boston to a Texan city, you're comparing the entire states. Given how different Texas and Massachusetts are, that's a notable difference. I'm also not sure why you'd pick out 'college educated women' as that's just one sub-group of the population.

It looks to me - anecdotally - like women of higher social class may wear yoga pants, but sweatpants wearing is more common among men of lower social classes. I live in a city quite often voted the 'fittest' in the country (or top 3) and I don't see to many guys in sweatpants. It's a city full of white collar workers walking around in slacks, 'fancy' jeans or in the summer shorts. I probably see a guy in Nantucket Red shorts about as often as I see one in sweatpants. Quite frankly the only group I see a ton in sweatpants are teenagers i.e. children.

Old 09-13-2023, 08:56 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
It looks to me like those are state stats, not city stats, so you're not comparing Boston to a Texan city, you're comparing the entire states. Given how different Texas and Massachusetts are, that's a notable difference. I'm also not sure why you'd pick out 'college educated women' as that's just one sub-group of the population.
Yes, you are correct. The CDC does not have this data for cities so states is all we have to work with. I picked out younger college-educated women because they are far more likely to be concentrated in large urban centers.

Quote:
It looks to me - anecdotally - like women of higher social class may wear yoga pants, but sweatpants wearing is more common among men of lower social classes. I live in a city quite often voted the 'fittest' in the country (or top 3) and I don't see to many guys in sweatpants. It's a city full of white collar workers walking around in slacks, 'fancy' jeans or in the summer shorts. I probably see a guy in Nantucket Red shorts about as often as I see one in sweatpants. Quite frankly the only group I see a ton in sweatpants are teenagers i.e. children.
Don't you live in DC? I think that would depend on where you are. Tenleytown, you probably won't see many sweatpants. Union Market, you will see a lot.

Old 09-13-2023, 09:31 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
At any ski resort, you'll see lots of people wearing premium ski apparel branded Polartec pants when they're out & about. I have a couple pairs of Arc'Teryx ones that are $160 MSRP. I've always worn Polartec. Jeans are freezing in the winter.

Old 09-13-2023, 12:35 PM

6,793 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
Yes, you are correct. The CDC does not have this data for cities so states is all we have to work with. I picked out younger college-educated women because they are far more likely to be concentrated in large urban centers.

Don't you live in DC? I think that would depend on where you are. Tenleytown, you probably won't see many sweatpants. Union Market, you will see a lot.

I live in Arlington, VA, outside D.C.. I think in D.C. proper you will see more sweatpants for sure.

Old 09-16-2023, 09:50 AM

1,230 posts, read 991,166 times
Quote:

I guess Northern Virginia would be same has West Virginia and Oklahoma where people dress up more and it is more jeans, khakis and cargo pants there.

But I’m surprised sweatpants is not thing in Seattle, Detroit or Anchorage despite people dressing casual in those cities.

Old 09-16-2023, 07:38 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
I guess Northern Virginia would be same has West Virginia and Oklahoma where people dress up more and it is more jeans, khakis and cargo pants there.

But I’m surprised sweatpants is not thing in Seattle, Detroit or Anchorage despite people dressing casual in those cities.
NoVa isn't the same as Oklahoma or West Virginia

Old 09-16-2023, 09:39 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,013,419 times
I'll take seeing people wearing sweatpants over pajama bottoms with house shoes any day.

Old 09-16-2023, 10:44 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Quote:
Because it's the male version of Athleisure wear. Most men also derive great enjoyment from seeing 24 year-old women prance around Whole Foods in Lululemon and alo.
31. Can confirm

But in all honestly sweats (or joggers) are just mad comfortable. I say this as guy who loves throwing on a nice classy fit, but if I'm running bs erands like getting car parts, buying a case beer or grabbing fast food... joggers are being thrown on if it's cold/chilly.

Old 09-17-2023, 06:22 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
31. Can confirm

But in all honestly sweats (or joggers) are just mad comfortable. I say this as guy who loves throwing on a nice classy fit, but if I'm running bs erands like getting car parts, buying a case beer or grabbing fast food... joggers are being thrown on if it's cold/chilly.
And its becoming work place appropriate now! Love GenZ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.