Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 10:13 PM

1,230 posts, read 988,568 times

Advertisements

I came across this articles today of US cities where people like to wear sweatpants.

Although it could also just be the thousands upon thousands of annoying college kids who love to moan, "I, like, can't even believe I left the house like this," because they're wearing sweatpants and Ugg, as if that in itself isn't a blatant fashion statement, but who knows. "It's nebulous," Michael Scott might say.

Here's the top 20 in full:

Philadelphia, PA
Hartford, CT
Pittsburgh, PA
Lafayette, LA
Laredo, TX
Boston, MA
New York, NY
Los Angeles, CA
Victoria, TX
Scranton, PA
Salt Lake City, UT
Marquette, MI
Milwaukee, WI
Washington, DC
Austin, TX
Watertown, MA
Jacksonville, FL
Idaho Falls, ID
Providence, RI
Chicago, IL
Take that, New York!

https://www.americaninno.com/boston/...st-sweatpants/

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2023, 11:26 PM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Honestly? Accurate.

Someone mentioned this in a thread a few years ago I went back home to Boston and was like damn- there’s a lot of sweatpants for being on the train in Downtown crossing. And slides with socks.

So now I feel self conscious in sweats in baltimore/ everyone wears jeans all day everyday.

Old 08-26-2023, 01:14 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
When I lived in the Baltimore suburbs I would regularly sees people in sweatpants at Walmart. You see this much less in Louisiana. I'm not sure if its because classiness and appearance still matters more in the Deep South, or because of our warmer climate.

Old 08-26-2023, 06:13 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,116,133 times
Lol, Philadelphia ranked first. There is an old 'meme' about it.
https://twitter.com/thestartpackss/s...39407123197952

Old 08-26-2023, 06:16 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,116,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Honestly? Accurate.

Someone mentioned this in a thread a few years ago I went back home to Boston and was like damn- there’s a lot of sweatpants for being on the train in Downtown crossing. And slides with socks.

So now I feel self conscious in sweats in baltimore/ everyone wears jeans all day everyday.

The original article is from 2012 before sweatpants became 'joggers'

Baltimore would likely be included on the list for 2023, with Philadelphia still being first. It's kind of meme at this point, you can't go a block without seeing UA, Nike, or Adidas joggers.

Old 08-26-2023, 06:16 AM

1,423 posts, read 663,047 times
They call them joggers now I think..
Sounds better than sweatpants.

Old 08-26-2023, 06:21 AM

14,009 posts, read 14,995,436 times
I refuse to believe this has any validity. New York and LA are literally the only two “fashionable” cities in America. Also it’s never cold enough in lA to wear sweatpants surely if you’re going casual in LA you’d wear shorts?

Clearly designed for clicks when like Watertown, a town of 35k is big enough to be on the list how are 4/5 biggest cities in America the list? Statistically it should be full of no name towns like Watertown

Last edited by btownboss4; 08-26-2023 at 07:05 AM..

Old 08-26-2023, 06:28 AM

1,029 posts, read 561,806 times
Hahaha. I think it’s an American thing. Even in the middle of NYC you saw people wearing sweatpants holding a yoga mat looking very tense on the way to the gym.

(Why is working out/exercise so serious here? Isn’t it supposed to relax you?)

I never own a pair of sweatpants, maybe once upon a time a pair of Adidas skinny track pants but that’s because it went well with my black & white Adidas Gazelle tennis shoes. I’ll never do Lululemon, no sweatpants, even my Mom who’s 84 said she could never wear those JLo in the early 2000 pink track suit thing with ugly baggy sweatpants that are baggy on top but have this weird gathering thing at the bottom that every suburban mom and grandma were wearing. Rappers and college coeds wore them too. (Juicy Couture made a bank on that ugly design.)

I think my husband owns one pair too, he only wears it at home, or I’ll pretend I don’t know him.

Old 08-26-2023, 06:35 AM

1,029 posts, read 561,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I refuse to believe this has any validity. New York and LA are literally the only two “fashionable” cities in America. Also it’s never cold enough in lA to wear sweatpants surely if you’re going casual in LA you’d wear shorts?
L.A can get chilly too in winter. The beach area can get breezy and chilly even in summer. People in LA can get so casual and indifferent about fashion too, much to my chagrin. Flip flops, sweatpants, hoodies, baggy t-shirts, and then they go to places like Erewhon to get a $25 salad.

Old 08-26-2023, 06:47 AM

14,009 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
L.A can get chilly too in winter. The beach area can get breezy and chilly even in summer. People in LA can get so casual and indifferent about fashion too, much to my chagrin. Flip flops, sweatpants, hoodies, baggy t-shirts, and then they go to places like Erewhon to get a $25 salad.
More than say Dayton OH? or Montgomery Alabama?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.