Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Metros that have changed over the last 3 decades
DFW 6 7.59%
Atlanta 14 17.72%
Los Angeles 1 1.27%
Miami 8 10.13%
Chicago 0 0%
NYC 5 6.33%
Houston 8 10.13%
San Francisco 2 2.53%
Seattle 8 10.13%
Denver 4 5.06%
Phoenix 5 6.33%
Tampa 1 1.27%
Philadelphia 1 1.27%
Detroit 2 2.53%
Portland 1 1.27%
Boston 2 2.53%
Other 11 13.92%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 05:31 AM

24 posts, read 25,938 times

Advertisements

Demographically and culturally in your opinion. And maybe not even looking at stats just what from your POV IRL. You'll here a lot of folks that have been around awhile talk about a ton of changes X area has been through. I think 50, 60 years ago it would probably would have been a rust belt or NYC/Chicago/Miami answer but more recently it seems like it would be a sunbelt answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2023, 06:06 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,902,554 times
So I haven't been to a lot of these places, and only 2 of them 30 years ago. Chicago and Detroit haven't changed too much in the last 30 years.

I'm voting NYC. From 89 to 93, the violent crime rate in NYC was over 1000 per 100k and the total crime rate was over 6000.
Today the violent crime rate is about 350 and total crime rate around 1700.

Last edited by JMT; 08-29-2023 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: violation of rules for posting images

Old 08-29-2023, 07:12 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,032,304 times
From 1990 to 2023?

Boston: It changed a lot from becoming a white collar/life sciences hub with lots of development from a back water beta city that had deep pockets of blue collar neighborhoods. It diversified relatively fast, going from about 90% white to 65% white in its MSA. Huge change. But I think Boston did start from a higher pedestal than other metros in 1990, so it change isnt as big as others.

New York City: i think New York City changed way more than Boston. 1990s New York is very different than 2020s New York. The once 24/7 city (Manhattan) is now sleepy, sterile and more or less… just like any other big city in the country … just bigger. New York cleaned up greatly and has reduced its crime by like 80-%. Brooklyn and Queens are destinations now. The metropolitan area has become way more cosmopolitan and full of construction and development. Jersey City’s skyline looks like a smaller Miami! Cities out as far away as Stamford and New Brunswick are absolutely booming. Newark, Yonkers, White Plains, Paterson, Passaic, New Rochelle and Bridgeport have all massively improved.

Philadelphia: Philadelphia probably had changed the least out of the other northeast cities, but it still has changed I bet. It looks like the center city is way more cosmopolitan and university city has been coming a long way. I think this city will be propelled upward due to its proximity to both NYC and DC. But the suburbs are still mega wealthy and rather unchanged while the city tends to have neighborhoods that either went up, or down. It seems like it also traded crack for fentanyl/tranq, relative to other cities which have reduced drug presence more.

Washington DC: DC probably changed the second most in the northeast. The development in DC itself, Arlington and all the rail exurbs has been impressing. There are great cities and TOD communities that are leading the way as its transit grows exponentially. Its become a destination and more known outside politics in 2020 over 1990. Its turning into a mega region.

Chicago: I dont think Chicago changed all that much. Much like other cities with the decline in crime and random globs of development. Similar to Philadelphia imho.

Miami: I have always pictured Miami as what it is today, but I think its a grander version of itself 30 years ago. It always felt like Miami would grow into this… but nonetheless, its become a world renowned destination after Will Smiths song about it.

Of cities that Im familiar with, imo:
1. New York
2. Miami
3. Washington DC
4. Boston
5. Chicago
6. Philadelphia

The other sunbelt cities I am not even going to touch, because they all grew so rapidly. From Atalanta to Dallas to Houston to Charlotte to Phoenix… wouldnt even know where to begin.

Old 08-29-2023, 07:27 AM

12,845 posts, read 9,583,014 times
I voted Seattle, I would've voted Austin if it were in the poll

Old 08-29-2023, 08:47 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
From 1990 to 2023?

Washington DC: DC probably changed the second most in the northeast. The development in DC itself, Arlington and all the rail exurbs has been impressing. There are great cities and TOD communities that are leading the way as its transit grows exponentially. Its become a destination and more known outside politics in 2020 over 1990. Its turning into a mega region.

Of cities that I'm familiar with, imo:
1. New York
2. Miami
3. Washington DC
4. Boston
5. Chicago
6. Philadelphia
I agree!

DC is the standout for me, especially within the District itself

Logan Circle, U Street-Cardozo, Shaw, Bloomingdale, Mount Vernon Square, Rhode Island Ave/New York Avenue, H Street Corridor, Navy Yard-Waterfront, Stadium-Armory, Columbia Heights and Petworth are prime examples of 180 or near 180-degree changes.

Old 08-29-2023, 09:03 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,579,110 times
Believe it or not, the most accurate answer to me would be New York City. It's never taken it's foot off the gas, and still for the remainder of this century at the very least will remain the far and away #1 city of this country potentially increasing it's lead, and that's with other cities making major strides. Anyone familiar with demographic trends in major cities also realizes the major shifts NYC has made in adding foreign born residents and where the largest groups migrate from vs 30 years ago.

Followed by Washington DC, Austin, Dallas, and Miami.

I agree that DC is the lead city of a burgeoning mega-region, and in this century I expect the city and it's core to eventually surpass both Chicago and Philadelphia's population density. With the transit infrastructure and bones continuing to expand across the region, it will really give DC a great opportunity to elevate at it's tier and among it's peers. On diversity it's a top 3ish or so, diverse metro area in the country now.

Old 08-29-2023, 09:25 AM

836 posts, read 456,018 times
I’ll go with Atlanta, DFW, Houston, and Phoenix out of this poll.

Old 08-29-2023, 09:27 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,402,695 times
1. NYC
2. DC
3. Austin
4. Boston
5. Seattle

I grew up in the DC area and to see what it was not even that long ago and what it is today is interesting. The super high CoL, TOD, etc. and that’s just the suburbs. DC itself has undergone quite the transformation.

Old 08-29-2023, 09:31 AM

8,869 posts, read 6,882,561 times
Seattle's population within city limits has grown by 50%, all through second-generation infill. That's unusual.

Old 08-29-2023, 09:49 AM

12,845 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
I’ll go with Atlanta, DFW, Houston, and Phoenix out of this poll.
I'm not sure how these cities have changed culturally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.