Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What metro do you think will undergo the most demographic change over the next 20 years?
Seattle 6 6.19%
San Francisco 5 5.15%
Los Angeles 1 1.03%
San Diego 0 0%
Denver 0 0%
Dallas 8 8.25%
Houston 2 2.06%
Atlanta 27 27.84%
Miami 3 3.09%
Philadelphia 5 5.15%
NYC 9 9.28%
Boston 5 5.15%
Chicago 1 1.03%
Detroit 9 9.28%
Minneapolis 1 1.03%
Phoenix 3 3.09%
Tampa 0 0%
Austin 4 4.12%
Charlotte 5 5.15%
Orlando 3 3.09%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 02:41 PM

271 posts, read 302,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
The numbers are from data.census.gov. They are official. They do have a margin of error, but it doesn't matter what things feel like. Korean immigration to the US is nett negative. That means more Koreans from the US are moving back to Korea than coming in. The Korean growth, even in Atlanta, is not that great but at least the number is trending upwards in Atlanta. In places like NYC, LA, and the Bay Area, its declining.

I lined up why in post 45 of this thread.

You also need to cite where you see there are more than 100K Koreans in Georgia because I cannot find one source to back that up. The number I can find are all closer to 60K.

I've heard that from a U.S. Senator in Georgia (link)-- but I've also shared a recent news article that confirms that the Georgia Department of Economic Development estimates more than 93k Koreans just in the state of Georgia alone in 2021.

https://www.ossoff.senate.gov/press-...-korea-caucus/

https://coastalcourier.com/news/busi...ean-neighbors/

To be clear, you're saying that based on U.S. census Koreans from Korea have stopped immigrating to the U.S. (or Georgia). I'm telling you that the Korean population in Georgia is quite large and growing both through S. Koreans who arrive to work at SK, Hyundai/Kia, etc. and due to Korean Americans who migrate here from other parts of the U.S. These large # of new Korean residents may not be accounted by the census bureau accurately.

I'm still puzzled by your numbers from the census.gov website, as the link you posted previously had data that wasn't recent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2023, 06:52 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Agreed.

I'd be interested in what happens with El Paso, Laredo, and the other border cities. The Mexican immigrants there will continue to assimilate and fewer and fewer will cross the border to replace them (in part because standards of living in Mexico are increasing). Will that make these cities --- with their low crime rates, warm weather, and cheap housing --- more desirable to other races of Americans?
This could be interesting. Not sure about Laredo but I could see a lot of white people moving to the RGV. It’s just so hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.