Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What metro do you think will undergo the most demographic change over the next 20 years?
Seattle 6 6.19%
San Francisco 5 5.15%
Los Angeles 1 1.03%
San Diego 0 0%
Denver 0 0%
Dallas 8 8.25%
Houston 2 2.06%
Atlanta 27 27.84%
Miami 3 3.09%
Philadelphia 5 5.15%
NYC 9 9.28%
Boston 5 5.15%
Chicago 1 1.03%
Detroit 9 9.28%
Minneapolis 1 1.03%
Phoenix 3 3.09%
Tampa 0 0%
Austin 4 4.12%
Charlotte 5 5.15%
Orlando 3 3.09%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 09:38 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 7 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 977,160 times

Advertisements

I vote Detroit. I see that metro changing rapidly, not just the large influx of Arab/Middle Eastern population that has settled in Dearborn, but Hispanic, South Asian, and SE Asian populations too. It is a prime location for growth and redevelopment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2023, 06:00 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Yeah, I don't think any metro area can be singled out here. Two decades is actually quite a long time demographically anywhere.

White population is actually declining the fastest in the Northeast and Midwest proportionately, so along with the gains in Hispanic and Asian populations, I'd put my money on metro areas in those regions (outside of already super diverse regions like NYC and DC) to change the most.

Old 09-11-2023, 08:25 AM

271 posts, read 302,063 times
I've lived in the ATL area now for the past 2.5 years. The diversity here is incredible. And that's from someone who used to live in Los Angeles.

As other have mentioned, the Hispanic/Latino and Asian Populations here are surging. There is a growing tech presence with the likes of Google, Microsoft etc. being attracted to the city for its diverse talent pool. Cumming, GA now has one of the fastest growing S. Asian populations in the country. An estimated 100k Koreans live in the state of Georgia. I believe last year the white population increased in the city of Atlanta, far outpacing Black population growth. The area also continues to attract young Blacks who choose to begin their careers here due to the cost of living, HBCUs and professional networks to name a few.

Old 09-11-2023, 10:25 AM

11,085 posts, read 7,146,060 times
Eh, America is a melting pot. This doesn't have to be turned into an issue.

Embrace the melting pot and continual changes. Be dynamic and flexible. Don't be scared or racist.

Old 09-11-2023, 10:52 AM

8,069 posts, read 7,429,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude7 View Post
And I don't necessarily mean white flight. You see black flight in some places too. A lot of asian and hispanic movement seems to changing certain places at a pretty rapid pace.
I voted for Atlanta because AFAIK it's the blackest city on the list, therefore it will become more Hispanic.

Old 09-11-2023, 10:53 AM

8,069 posts, read 7,429,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Eh, America is a melting pot. This doesn't have to be turned into an issue.

Embrace the melting pot and continual changes. Be dynamic and flexible. Don't be scared or racist.
I'm sure you mean well, but "melting pot" is a racist phrase and the thinking behind it is racist, too.
https://theoccidentalnews.com/uncate...phrase/2882079

Old 09-11-2023, 02:18 PM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I'm sure you mean well, but "melting pot" is a racist phrase and the thinking behind it is racist, too.
https://theoccidentalnews.com/uncate...phrase/2882079
Well, she should know. "Undeclared first year"---her bona fides. Unless you're Native American, we all jumped in the melting pot at some point in the past. For a while, immigrants stay in their own communities, then in the succeeding generations, they branch out, marry other ethnicities and move around.

My family used to be 100% Swedish, stuck in Minnesota. They all married other Swedes. In my generation, we moved away and married non-Swedes. Oh, my! "I'm melting"!

Old 09-11-2023, 02:23 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Literally every single American city will see fairly dramatic demographic changes in 20 years as the white population continues to decline.
This. I don't really see any places changes faster than others apart from the coastal areas will diversify faster than inland areas (minus Dallas and Vegas).

One easy way to approximate this is to look at child demographics compared to adult demographics..

Old 09-11-2023, 02:25 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Yeah, I don't think any metro area can be singled out here. Two decades is actually quite a long time demographically anywhere.

White population is actually declining the fastest in the Northeast and Midwest proportionately, so along with the gains in Hispanic and Asian populations, I'd put my money on metro areas in those regions (outside of already super diverse regions like NYC and DC) to change the most.
In reality, it will probably be Rhode Island and Connecticut metros. Maybe above all else. Not really exciting stuff for most of us here.

The super diverse metros will still be super diverse metros.

Old 09-12-2023, 12:51 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Austin may be an interesting one to watch over the next 20 years
I actually think it might see the least-ish change. It’s not gonna get much larger than 30% Hispanic without rapid growth East if I-35, in Lockhart, in Bastrop and in Hays County. It’s probably gonna get a lot more Asian maybe be 15% even by 2040, but I think it’s White, Hispanic and Black population will bear most of the demographic difference from the Asian growth. White people may have even outgrow Hispanic people in the last decade just to show you how much the metro is stable demographically. It will get a lot more folks outside of the expected groups meaning; Chinese, Indian, White American, African American, Mexican American, Vietnamese American. That will add something to the area but the on paper numbers won’t budge much outside of the overall Asian population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.