Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What metro do you think will undergo the most demographic change over the next 20 years?
Seattle 6 6.19%
San Francisco 5 5.15%
Los Angeles 1 1.03%
San Diego 0 0%
Denver 0 0%
Dallas 8 8.25%
Houston 2 2.06%
Atlanta 27 27.84%
Miami 3 3.09%
Philadelphia 5 5.15%
NYC 9 9.28%
Boston 5 5.15%
Chicago 1 1.03%
Detroit 9 9.28%
Minneapolis 1 1.03%
Phoenix 3 3.09%
Tampa 0 0%
Austin 4 4.12%
Charlotte 5 5.15%
Orlando 3 3.09%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 10:27 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Austin may be an interesting one to watch over the next 20 years
How can you say Austin, when they've priced most of their minorities out and made it a model playground for high income/wealthy white people?

I mean, it's not like the cost of living is ever going to go back down in Austin, so you can expect more high income/wealthy white people to keep moving there and keep living there, and less and less minorities to be able to afford it.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 09-15-2023 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2023, 10:29 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siula View Post
Probably Boston. Of all metros, the white population is declining the fastest in Boston.
Good. Maybe it can finally shake its reputation of being a racist town...

Old 09-15-2023, 11:01 AM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
How can you say Austin, when they've priced most of their minorities out and made it a model playground for high income/wealthy white people?

I mean, it's not like the cost of living is ever going to go back down in Austin, so you can expect more high income/wealthy white people to keep moving there and keep living there, and less and less minorities to be able to afford it.
One of the most accurate things I've read in a while with a caveat. I would include Asians (mostly Indians) and wealthy Hispanics in the mix.

I total agree that Austin is not a city to watch for demographic trends. The demographic trends in Austin are set. Think San Jose without the Eastern Europeans or Persians, with less emphasis on Vietnamese. Lots of wealthy Indians/Whites and natural Hispanic growth.

Old 09-15-2023, 11:33 AM

8,071 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Well, she should know. "Undeclared first year"---her bona fides. Unless you're Native American, we all jumped in the melting pot at some point in the past. ...
Laugh if you want; Daina Solomon may have been an undeclared Freshman -- oops, I mean First Year -- at Occidental in 2008. But now she's all growed up and a reporter for Reuters covering business and politics in Latin America.

That "melting pot" is a racist phrase and a racist idea, is now part of Left Wing canon and you don't see the phrase used by Reuters, the AP, or the New York Times.

Old 09-15-2023, 11:42 AM

976 posts, read 1,056,898 times
I'm thinking none of the cities on that list will see significant change.

Think of an untapped Western city like Salt Lake City, Boise, a city in he Dakotas, Montana...somewhere like that.

Old 09-15-2023, 01:38 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post

I disagree on it never coming down. Like I mentioned in my post. Austin may stay expensive for basically ever. But they are doin things other expensive cities aren’t which is training a significant portion of the city, and the fact that they ar win the most pro-growth state After Florida. The one thing I’m surprised by the legislature of Texas and the governor is that they are super Anti-NIMBY Republicans. They do have their obvious hiccups but they push forward any pro-growth bill that pass by their desk.

So Austin even with its thousands of new units may be expensive but unlike California or Canada there isn’t an imposed growth boundary to protect Farmland. The surrounding counties are even more pro-sprawl Republican. Hays, Bastrop and Wilkinson Counties will all be minority-majority with a significant percent of that minority being Hispanic. Because it’s a popping city in the state with the most black people. Austin is actually getting tons of black growth. The biggest limiting factor is if they let the Eastern half of Travis County which has some geographical and industrial boundaries grow like crazy. Manor, Kyle, Buda, Elgin, Hutto, Taylor, Pflugerville, Georgetown, Jarrell, parts of Liberty Hill, Lockhart, Florence, South Killeen, Bastrop and San Marcos, especially east of I-35 are going to be the areas that take in a massive amount of the minority growth. As well as the poorer parts of the city that are further away and the thousands of apartment units under construction, South Austin and East Austin will all aid to the growing minority population in Austin.

This may seem contradictory to my previous post but, it isn’t. I still believe this growth among minority populations will happen significantly slower than the cheaper places. But for example the industrial jobs alone which have been ramping up like crazy in Austin will increase the blue collar demand far more than just the service sector, as well as the literally home building business. The city is expensive but not every suburb is expensive yet and some will likely never be. It’s not LA where you need to go past Yucaipa to see houses cheaper than 400,000 in any neighborhood. Austin will still have cheap houses 20-30 minutes on a good day to the core and to the rising Industry belt near 130.

On top of this Austin is seeing either the biggest or one of the biggest deflations in housing price nationwide.

If the government both city and state continue ramping Austin up to Houston levels of homebuilding the city will be affordable within 10-20 years which there isn’t much historical precedent for without a financial crash but might become reality.

Old 09-15-2023, 01:41 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I voted Orlando since it seems to be becoming Miami 2.0 demographically speaking.
First response is spot on—it’s gonna be Orlando. Mass migration from the Caribbean and Latin America is often moving to Central Florida as Miami becomes overcrowded.

A certain amount will go so far as Atlanta, but Atlanta’s diversity calling card is its massive African American population, and I don’t see that trend slowing down anytime soon. Atlanta will remain pretty balanced in terms of non-African American demographic growth.

Old 09-15-2023, 02:37 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
It's gotta be a city in the Old South,
American culture has changed and with that the Old South also has changed
from my point of view, now is land of opportunity unlike other places where people have been moving to for decades.

Old 09-15-2023, 03:36 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
First response is spot on—it’s gonna be Orlando. Mass migration from the Caribbean and Latin America is often moving to Central Florida as Miami becomes overcrowded.

A certain amount will go so far as Atlanta, but Atlanta’s diversity calling card is its massive African American population, and I don’t see that trend slowing down anytime soon. Atlanta will remain pretty balanced in terms of non-African American demographic growth.
Nah, my guy. I mean, yes, Atlanta's African-American population has grown the largest in recent decades and isn't slowing down...but Asian and Latino Atlanta is doubling their population every ten years and that is only intensifying.

I was just perusing Brown Univerity's 2020 Demographic portal (good info for all locations can be found here https://s4.ad.brown.edu/projects/div...aspx?msa=35614), and I was straight shocked.

Atlanta went from a combined total of Asian and Latino residents of less than 500k to over 1 million between 2000 and 2020. Since I live in a area (North Dekalb) that has seen a huge increase in both of those groups as well as immigrants from Africa and Eastern Europe, it's not uncommon for me to enter an establishment where English isn't the primary language and I have to either pantomime my way to what I want or wait for the owner's kid that speaks better English to come out from the back.

We're the better for it though. Unlike other cities, we've had very little in the way of backlash from these groups as they've grown and they have instead been embraced. Two years ago when that whack job shot up all of those massage parlors, the community as a whole rallied around the Asian community. The most popular style of food among the young and influential is Korean, and there has been huge surge in dozens of other cuisines. So much so that I was reading a story the other day about how the Michelin reviewers were shocked by the food diversity in Atlanta when they decided to add Atlanta to their list of cities. I think they were expecting to find refined sweet tea and peach cobbler, and they found a pho and samgyupsal in every district instead. lol.

As others have mentioned, the other clue is the political shifts seen in Georgia in the last two national elections. That was almost entirely driven by voters in Metro Atlanta and will only intensify as each year thousands of the children of these immigrants become of voting age and they are almost always voting Democratic. Take a look to Gwinnett county. In 2000 it was solidly Red and was ran by Republicans...until 2010 when demographics finally caught up and local leadership started changing, and 2016 when they finally went Blue and have stayed that way since.

The last point, as the graphic above shows is that Metro Atlanta for the first time in it's history saw a drop in it's non-white Hispanic population. This will only increase as Baby Boomers age since the make up a large chunk of that demographics population.

Old 09-15-2023, 03:45 PM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
We're the better for it though. Unlike other cities, we've had very little in the way of backlash from these groups as they've grown and they have instead been embraced. Two years ago when that whack job shot up all of those massage parlors, the community as a whole rallied around the Asian community. The most popular style of food among the young and influential is Korean, and there has been huge surge in dozens of other cuisines. So much so that I was reading a story the other day about how the Michelin reviewers were shocked by the food diversity in Atlanta when they decided to add Atlanta to their list of cities. I think they were expecting to find refined sweet tea and peach cobbler, and they found a pho and samgyupsal in every district instead. lol.
What kind of Asian growth is important. Its not Koreans that are causing the Asian growth in Atlanta, its Indians. In fact, Asian growth in Atlanta is extremely India heavy.

Atlanta's total Asian growth breaks down as follows. Between 2011-2021. This is Asian alone, not including Asian in combination:

Total Growth: 123,997
Indian Growth: 66,677
Chinese: 12,792
Vietnamese: 11,734
Korean: 4,489
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.