Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 09:12 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times

Advertisements

I’m Massachusetts South Coast near the Rhode Island line. My beach reliably gets to 68F by June 15 and stays above that into October. We have had the remnants of a tropical storm with days of rain and big ocean surf. It’s barely at 68F now but will warm up a bit once the sun appears. There’s usually 4 months where it’s swimmable.

Massachusetts Bay north of Cape Cod has much colder water. I see 63F. That’s locally called wicked pissah cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 09:23 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusco View Post
Is Old Orchard Beach's water really warmer than San Diego's water during the summer? I do have yet to swim in either Maine or California myself (I only swam in VA, NJ, and HI). I knew the Atlantic's water is warmer than the Pacific's water on the same latitude.
It depends. I lived in a house with a boat dock in Portsmouth NH on the Maine line for a decade. If you get a high pressure parked over New England for a few weeks with no storms, the top layer warms up. I’ve seen 75F. 20 feet down, it’s 60F. If there’s a storm that churns everything up, it reverts to 60F.

You have to get as far south as Chatham Ma for the water to be reliably swimmable in the summer. That is beyond the currents that flow south from the Gulf of Maine.

Old 10-02-2023, 01:57 PM

8,480 posts, read 4,724,709 times
I’ve never been able to brave the Lake Ontario waters. It’s always too damn cold, and not worth it anyway since I’m always suspicious of what chemicals etc are hanging out in it.

Old 10-02-2023, 03:16 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
You didn't say outdoor in natural river, lake or ocean. Heated pools can be swam in year-round anywhere. You could also get one of those backyard Swim Spas that are advertised a lot. Then you could comfortably swim outside when it's below freezing in your backyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.