Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2023, 09:44 PM

24 posts, read 25,510 times

Advertisements

Even most of the summer. Comfortably let’s say not if it’s possible jump in.

For me I might say roughly maybe Monterey on the West coast and I couldn’t tell you exact but it’s somewhere in New England on the east coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2023, 06:43 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,276,900 times
I’m used to 90f water in the gulf so all of the west coast is always too cold and the east coast north of Jupiter, FL is usually too cold.

Old 09-22-2023, 06:49 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,321 times
Lake Ontario rarely gets above 70 degrees where we are, even in the middle of summer. So anything warmer than that would be fine with me lol.

Old 09-22-2023, 08:32 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
All west coast waters from SD and up are too cold.

Old 09-22-2023, 08:59 AM

961 posts, read 721,516 times
On the east coast, I'd need to go pretty far north into Maine before it would be too cold for me in the peak of August (I've swam in Boothbay Harbor many times, it's brisk but perfectly fine for me). Anything above 65 is doable, 70 is when it becomes comfortable. But obviously everyone has different tolerances.

Not sure on the west coast, I've swam in San Diego and Santa Monica, and it was a bit chilly but generally fine. I assume somewhere on the central coast is the line of demarcation where it becomes too cold. Surely north of San Francisco is a no.

Old 09-22-2023, 09:32 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Swam in a lake in Maine a few weeks ago. Not bad

Old 09-22-2023, 09:34 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
I mean summer is only a quarter of the year anyway so even places with hot summers, thats still not "most" of the year.

Even in FL, locals/natives don't go in the water after early October. Winter and early spring in FL is manowar/jellyfish season as well.

I been in warm ocean waters as far as Massachusetts. Warm lake water as far north as Manitoba.

I think this question should reframed as "warm to swim in most the summer." Even most people down south don't care to go swimming past mid-September. Water feels a lot colder to our skin than air does.

Old 09-22-2023, 10:00 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
I mean summer is only a quarter of the year anyway so even places with hot summers, thats still not "most" of the year.

Even in FL, locals/natives don't go in the water after early October. Winter and early spring in FL is manowar/jellyfish season as well.

I been in warm ocean waters as far as Massachusetts. Warm lake water as far north as Manitoba.

I think this question should reframed as "warm to swim in most the summer." Even most people down south don't care to go swimming past mid-September. Water feels a lot colder to our skin than air does.
Late September/Early October is my favorite time to go to the beach in NC (when there aren't hurricanes/tropical systems headed our way obviously). Water is still quite warm and still decent sun but not BLAZING sun and it isn't unholy muggy once you go more than one "row" inland which is the case from basically mid/late June- early/mid September.

The only time I've ever swam in the ocean on the west coast was incidentally in mid-September in Malibu. Water was definitely much colder than I was used to but not unbearable. Similar to May/early June water on the SE Coast. Definitely not "spend a few hours in the water" but also not "step one foot in and NOPE" either.

My grandparents had a cottage on Lake Ontario (technically Port Bay) that I went to almost every summer growing up. Lake water there in July was never above "cool" but it was refreshing. I remember my uncle once remarking that the water was "so warm its practically bathwater" when he read 77 on the thermometer on his boat. Having just been thrown off the innertube I didn't necessarily agree. Lake water/freshwater doesn't "sting" when it's cold quite as much as Ocean/salt water though...at least for me personally.

Grandmother (other side) snow-birded in South Florida (Delray Beach). I comfortably swam in the water there in March as a teen.

Old 09-22-2023, 10:39 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Late September/Early October is my favorite time to go to the beach in NC (when there aren't hurricanes/tropical systems headed our way obviously). Water is still quite warm and still decent sun but not BLAZING sun and it isn't unholy muggy once you go more than one "row" inland which is the case from basically mid/late June- early/mid September.

The only time I've ever swam in the ocean on the west coast was incidentally in mid-September in Malibu. Water was definitely much colder than I was used to but not unbearable. Similar to May/early June water on the SE Coast. Definitely not "spend a few hours in the water" but also not "step one foot in and NOPE" either.

My grandparents had a cottage on Lake Ontario (technically Port Bay) that I went to almost every summer growing up. Lake water there in July was never above "cool" but it was refreshing. I remember my uncle once remarking that the water was "so warm its practically bathwater" when he read 77 on the thermometer on his boat. Having just been thrown off the innertube I didn't necessarily agree. Lake water/freshwater doesn't "sting" when it's cold quite as much as Ocean/salt water though...at least for me personally.

Grandmother (other side) snow-birded in South Florida (Delray Beach). I comfortably swam in the water there in March as a teen.
My tolerance for water temp has increased since living in the North. I was in Michigan in July. Air temp in 60s. Water temp felt cold but not unbearable. Not ideal for swimming but fine for walking/wading. It was fun lol But for proper swimming, like going underwater, doing some strokes etc. I prefer 80+ water temps.

Old 09-23-2023, 09:02 PM

1,234 posts, read 941,091 times
Is Old Orchard Beach's water really warmer than San Diego's water during the summer? I do have yet to swim in either Maine or California myself (I only swam in VA, NJ, and HI). I knew the Atlantic's water is warmer than the Pacific's water on the same latitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.