Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 05:03 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
There may have been marginal benefits (South of the Border on steroids leading into North Myrtle Beach). But the highway was completed in the 70s, and much of the economic building blocks were already baked into the equation for these states. Charlotte, the Triangle, Atlanta, all were already on their way.

It probably would have helped Hampton Roads a bit however. I'm unsure on Charleston. Probably helped moreso than Savannah, but I think it would still have been slow to transition out of where it was.
I'm not arguing that a coastal I-95 through SC would have had Myrtle Beach and Charleston nipping at the heels of the Piedmont cities today but only that the potential for notably more growth and development would likely have been there. It's also worth noting that direct interstate connections (and railroads before that) to Savannah and Charleston have helped Atlanta and Charlotte, respectively, evolve into the places they are today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2023, 09:47 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,853,098 times
I’m not aware of any direct interstate connections between Charlotte and Charleston. Columbia seemed to be the nexus for transportation in the state of SC, even predating the interstate system no?

Old 09-27-2023, 11:38 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Yet Florida doesn't have deep water Harbors either yet Miami managed to create and build one to the point it is a Panamex Port now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Jacksonville completed a mega-dredge last year and is one of the just three deepwater ports in the Southeast now.
I believe the person who made the video was talking historically. I believe at one point he noted that Charleston founded 1670 is today dwarfed by Atlanta which was founded 150+ years later.

So, the point was that the Southern coastal cities tend to have shallower waters then the Northern cities making their rise as major trading ports more problematic. So that might be a reason why Savannah/Charleston/Georgetown/Wilmington are much smaller today then Baltimore/Philadelphia/New York/Boston.

Of course today, large scale dredging is much easier than it was in the 1800s, let alone the colonial era.

Old 09-28-2023, 08:23 AM

12,919 posts, read 18,765,744 times
Air conditioning is a late invention.

Old 09-28-2023, 11:43 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,544,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
So, the point was that the Southern coastal cities tend to have shallower waters then the Northern cities making their rise as major trading ports more problematic. So that might be a reason why Savannah/Charleston/Georgetown/Wilmington are much smaller today then Baltimore/Philadelphia/New York/Boston.
Water-borne shipping was one factor, but trans-shipment potential is more important than depth. Cities historically thrive at the head of navigation, where goods are transferred between ocean-going boats and wagons/trucks/railcars (or inland/canal boats). In the Northeast, the fall line runs close to the shore; in the Southeast, a broad coastal plain separates the two. Water-powered industry was another factor; the Piedmont megalopolis arose inland because water power was more plentiful further inland (at sites like Charlotte or Greenville).

This LOC article even quotes none other than George Washington riffing on the OP:
"From the Sea board to the falls of all the Rivers which water this extensive region, the lands [are] a continued pine barren very thinly inhabited. ... The Lands above the falls of the several Rivers... are generally thickly inhabited comparitively speaking with those below."

Old 09-28-2023, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heel82 View Post
i’m not aware of any direct interstate connections between charlotte and charleston. Columbia seemed to be the nexus for transportation in the state of sc, even predating the interstate system no?
I-77 and I-26 give Charlotte and Charleston direct interstate connections between each other, just as I-16 and I-75 do for Savannah and Atlanta. Charlotte and Atlanta are important transportation and logistics hubs (and manufacturing to a lesser extent) that rely on that direct interstate access to major ports. Neither Columbia or Macon are impediments to that access.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 09-28-2023 at 10:43 PM..

Old 09-28-2023, 11:18 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
The Bible talks about the difference between building on solid ground and building on sand. We are talking about the Bible Belt. Elevation and weather play an important part in where it is most pleasant to live. I grew up in the Piedmont which means at the foot of the mountains. 70 degrees is a better temperature than 80, 90, or 100 closer to the coast. The coast is O. K. to visit but when you want to be safe solid ground is more secure.

Old 09-28-2023, 11:30 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
SCs coast is developed a lot more than GA or NCs. It’s also growing like wildfire
South Carolina's coast does not stick out to catch the storms as much as the Outer Banks. The Outer Banks are really growing but in N. C. have a lot of rules and regulations as to where you can build and if it is destroyed, where you can build back.

Old 10-02-2023, 07:48 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Georgia has only 100 miles of coastline, and it is protected in many areas. A lot of the Low Country, not limited to GA, is not buildable because it’s marsh.

I live 10 miles inland in one of the fastest growing cities in GA. We are getting a huge Hyundai plant nearby that will be built in an area that was formerly known as bumf**k….miles of nothing. This will require housing and services.

Friends of ours live in Florence, SC. Only a few years ago, you couldn’t pay me to live there, but it is growing a lot, too.

Old 10-02-2023, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Friends of ours live in Florence, SC. Only a few years ago, you couldn’t pay me to live there, but it is growing a lot, too.
Yeah Florence is quietly doing some pretty great things. Its downtown has been on the up-and-up in recent years, echoing the early days of Greenville's downtown transformation in the 90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.