Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 07:27 PM

4 posts, read 12,670 times

Advertisements

Folks,

I'm over 40 and longing for a place to settle down and call home. Any input will be much appreciated.

I'm seeking the land of the cultural creatives: Artsy, intellectual, liberal, caretaker of nature, respectful of diversity (in race, religion, lifestyle), innovative, spiritual (but not religious), peace loving, globally aware, politically active, personally responsible... Some might call this "crunchy."

Here are the other features I'm looking for:

Mid-sized to small (Pop. under 1 million, as low as 200,000)
Near mountains and forests
Affordable living
Colleges/universities nearby
Relatively few big, polluting industries or nuke plants
Cultural activities
Historic preservation
Good climate (not too cold or hot)
No Midwestern cities, please (prefer East)

Any recommendations? If you will give me detailed suggestions, I'll compile them and make them available on this site to other folks seeking the same.

Amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 07:31 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,195 times
Asheville, NC. sounds perfect for you.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:55 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,820,931 times
Eugene, OR is the first city that popped into my head. If you're willing to head out west rather than back east then it could be a very good fit for you.

There are about 200,000 people in the urban area and it's home to the University of Oregon. This city has a reputation as the original poster child of "crunchiness." The climate is moderate, it's near the outdoors, yet has a fair share of culture, and is relatively affordable.

Best of all, definitely no nuke plants around.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:38 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,349,657 times
Both Eugene and Asheville sprang to my mind before I read the posts recommending both cities. I'll throw in Madison, WI for consideration too.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:56 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Both Eugene and Asheville sprang to my mind before I read the posts recommending both cities. I'll throw in Madison, WI for consideration too.
Madison probably wouldn't work, because she wants mountains, a mild climate, and nothing in the mid-west. And depending on her price range, it may be too pricey.

I'll second Eugene though (it's not the east coast, but it's not the midwest either, and it otherwise works).

Morgantown, WV could maybe work too...it's in the mountains, affordable, a collegetown, has fairly moderate weather, and has been named a Tree City USA.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:44 PM

485 posts, read 1,959,182 times
I was going to say Eugene, Oregon too! Ashville, NC sure is pretty though...I understand that it has a fairly diverse population compared to the rest of the tobacco-growing state...but I don't know that from personal experience. What about Burlington, Vermont?

Old 06-03-2008, 01:48 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,806 times
Burlington VT would be a perfect fit, except for the "too cold" part. However, a trip to LL Bean or LandsEnd solves that problem very easily.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:54 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
I immediately thought of Asheville, North Carolina, too. Of course I live only 100 miles from there and have a cabin near there so I guess I'm a little biased.

But it definitely meets all of the OP's criteria.

I thought about Eugene and Boulder, too, but the OP said she prefers the East.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:04 PM

485 posts, read 1,959,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I thought about Eugene and Boulder, too, but the OP said she prefers the East.
Boulder would have been nice 20-30 years ago, but it's ridiculously expensive, self-absorbed, and really is just about part of Denver because the burbs have practically grown right up to the border of the city. It's not going to be on its own for much longer.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:50 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,589,402 times
Yup, Asheville has attracted so many crunchy newcomers they have created animosity with the original residents.

Once again we have the conundrum of someone who states they are looking for diversity but yet it appears they want to be surrounded by people just like themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.