Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 08:37 PM

791 posts, read 2,958,964 times

Advertisements

I have lived in several different states in the past few years and really find a few things comical about moving to a new area.

1) When the weather is crappy the locals always say, "Oh this is SO unusual" when really it ends up being the norm.
2) The Chamber of Commerce if full of crap, I now realize that they are just there to sell you on the place and make it sound like it's so perfect.
3) The pictures posted online are probably the nicest places in the area so you better not expect the entire place to look even remotely like that.
4) Local lingo, it just cracks me up. A community or street could be easily read one way but the locals always have some funny way of pronouncing it and look at you with crazy eyes when you pronounce it different.

These are just a few things that have been consistent throughout my moves and thought I would vent them here.LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 08:44 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousetrap View Post
I have lived in several different states in the past few years and really find a few things comical about moving to a new area.

1) When the weather is crappy the locals always say, "Oh this is SO unusual" when really it ends up being the norm.
2) The Chamber of Commerce if full of crap, I now realize that they are just there to sell you on the place and make it sound like it's so perfect.
3) The pictures posted online are probably the nicest places in the area so you better not expect the entire place to look even remotely like that.
4) Local lingo, it just cracks me up. A community or street could be easily read one way but the locals always have some funny way of pronouncing it and look at you with crazy eyes when you pronounce it different.

These are just a few things that have been consistent throughout my moves and thought I would vent them here.LOL
Great post, I'll have to put my thinking cap on. Points for being so funny!

Old 06-03-2008, 11:15 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousetrap View Post

Number 3 is the biggest problem I have. People will always hype the city by showing the few good parts reserved for the wealthy but will forget to show pics of the folks where regular folks stay. When they show San Francisco there is always the Golden Gate Bridge and unique houses, but in reality it is not that cheery. I should really stop believing these pics because I was shocked to see so many homeless people!

Old 06-07-2008, 05:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
# 1: True of many places, esp. Seattle, in my experience. (Never lived there, just visited, but my DD had a boyfriend there who was ALWAYS saying that.)

# 4: Also very true. Fractured French in the midwest, fractured Spanish in the SW, crazy pronunciations everywhere!

Old 06-07-2008, 08:40 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,904 times
I LOVE how things are said differently in different places. I am originally from Philly and when I was talking about getting a sandwich from Subway to my friend here in Hawaii, I referred to the sandwich as a hoagie, and people didn't know what I meant! Also, it is interesting to hear the way in which people talk. Here, people talk in an up and down pattern, raising and lowering the tone of their voice as they speak. People on the east coast are usually more monotone....

What also interests me is how people give directions. When I lived in Japan, people would tell you how to go by telling you how many blocks or to turn at a bank or something. People here in Kauai are similar- giving directions based on landmarks and visual cues, whereas in Philly, everything is about street names and counting how many lights you go past....

Old 06-07-2008, 09:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Out here in CO we use compass directions when giving directions, e.g. go three blocks south, then turn east, etc. This is NOT how they give directions in Pittsburgh. There, it's "turn left where the Winky's used to be", etc.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:58 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,717,719 times
I agree on local pronunciations. I often have to get phone numbers from a cell while driving. Once I asked for a number in the remote town in Colorado where my mom lives. The operator corrected the Spanglish pronunciation that I used. I laughed, and said, I can't tell you are not from around here or you'd know it's not pronounced that way here in Colorado.

Another time, I called a local Sheriff's department to talk to someone and was chatting him up since I did not know him. He said he was from LA. I said, is that California or Colorado? He laughed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.