Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 09:41 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixKick View Post
I believe London was 3rd as well in the bid scores for 2012.
Right, those rankings last week meant nothing after the two cities were cut, which they stated.

I HIGHLY doubt they would ever pick Spain. It would look like this for the past few years:

2004: Europe
2008: Asia
2012: Europe
2016: Europe.

Not to mention Spain isn't that large of a country and just hosted the games in 1992.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 01:44 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Pretty much any mid-sized Southeastern metro area at this point: Charlotte, Jacksonville, Birmingham, Nashville, Chattanooga, Virginia Beach/Norfolk, Mobile, and Baton Rouge.
I agree with this and would add the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area to this list.

The one area you did list that I think I would eliminate is Hampton Roads (VA Beach/Norfolk). I have known several people, singles and families, that have considered this area and decided against relocation there. Cost of living is very high. We had a friend (familyof 4) that was recently considering the area and we forewarned them based on what we had heard in the past. They did go for a visit and immediately took it off there list - said the area was very disappointing and still overpriced!

Old 06-13-2008, 01:43 PM

6 posts, read 17,550 times
philadelphia the city of brotherly love its on it way back country

Old 06-13-2008, 03:38 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,493 times
1. Chicago
2. Toronto
3. Pittsburgh
4. Atlanta
5. Guadalajara
6. Baltimore
7. Montreal
8. Mexico City
9. Boston
10. Miami

I agree with this list except for Miami. Montreal would do alot better if it weren't isolated linguistically from the rest of North America, it drove alot of business from the city when the Quebecois booted English; prob. why Toronto is on the list. I also wanted to note how well Pittsburgh is doing with its relatively limited resources (in comparison to, say, Boston).

Old 06-13-2008, 11:20 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Right, those rankings last week meant nothing after the two cities were cut, which they stated.

I HIGHLY doubt they would ever pick Spain. It would look like this for the past few years:

2004: Europe
2008: Asia
2012: Europe
2016: Europe.

Not to mention Spain isn't that large of a country and just hosted the games in 1992.
Europe will NOT get the next two unannounced games. One tops. But Africa and South America will get at least one of those.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:27 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
1. Chicago
2. Toronto
3. Pittsburgh
4. Atlanta
5. Guadalajara
6. Baltimore
7. Montreal
8. Mexico City
9. Boston
10. Miami

I agree with this list except for Miami. Montreal would do alot better if it weren't isolated linguistically from the rest of North America, it drove alot of business from the city when the Quebecois booted English; prob. why Toronto is on the list. I also wanted to note how well Pittsburgh is doing with its relatively limited resources (in comparison to, say, Boston).

Pittsburgh is basically just sitting here waiting to be tapped. I predict in the next 5 years or so it'll be one of America's "coolest new cities". Same goes for Baltimore, if they can get a handle on the crime problem. Atlanta will continue to be a great place to do business and a horrible place to live. I'd rather live in Mexico City than Atlanta. I noticed that none of their cities were on the West Coast. I like that. The smug bastards really need to realize how overrated they are.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:45 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Atlanta will continue to be a great place to do business and a horrible place to live. I'd rather live in Mexico City than Atlanta.
What do you know about living here? Most people I know in Atlanta enjoy it, despite what the malcontents in this forum would have you believe.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:10 AM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Default The List

Assuming we are talking about the lower 48 states, here is a rundown of the cities I believe have the brightest future.

1. Tampa
2. Charlotte
3. Oklahoma City
4. Phoenix
5. San Diego
6. Las Vegas
7. San Francisco
8 through about 16. Any medium or big city in Texas (best economy in the country right now)
17. Seattle
18. Portland

And there you are.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:31 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
If the Federal courts intervene in Alabama and Florida's favor, then that could bring Atlanta's growth to a screeching halt.
There are plenty of new houses there still for sale at a fraction of what equivalent homes in NY, Bos, and DC go for. Courts can't stop people from moving into them, therefore doubt an adverse ruling will really effect growth.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:32 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
What do you know about living here? Most people I know in Atlanta enjoy it, despite what the malcontents in this forum would have you believe.
No kidding. Atlanta is a great city. I think it's pure jealousy that makes some people in this forum say such stupidly negative things about it.

Some very iconic American groups have moved their headquarters to Atlanta from various parts of the country and wouldn't have done so if Atlanta were so horrible: UPS, Rayovac, Rubbermaid, American Cancer Society, Holiday Inn, Georgia-Pacific, Arby's. Coupled with home-grown organizations that are well-known (Coca-Cola, Home Depot, AT&T Wireless, Delta Air Lines, CNN, TBS, The Weather Channel, the Center for Disease Control) Atlanta has attracted thousands of executives and other very smart people.

Atlanta is home to the world's busiest airport, the world's most recognized trademark (Coca-Cola), it hosted the 1996 Olympics, and it's home to America's only federal agency not based in the DC area (the CDC).

In 1970 metro Atlanta had a population of just over 2 million. By the 2010 Census it will be pushing 6 million and is growing at over 120,000 every year. Clearly it's not such a bad place to live or else people wouldn't be flocking there by the thousands every week.

It's got its problems, to be sure, including crime, water sources and traffic. But every big city has problems, and I'm convinced the same spirit of entrepreneurship which spawned CNN, Home Depot, Coca-Cola and other wildly successful home-grown companies will also figure out a way to overcome its current problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.