Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 12:35 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
Well I am originally from the Philly burbs... and I absolutely LOVE that area...

I have since moved onto to Kauai, Hawaii.

I live on the south side of the island, and we generally get less rain than the North shore (although my house gets a little bit more rain than other towns nearby, b/c I am up on a hill).

Kauai is known for the following things:

Mt. Waialeale, one of the rainiest places on earth. The area can receive anywhere up to 485 inches of rain per year. It is in the center of the island, which prohibits people from driving straight through the island. Therefore, it takes me over an hour to get to Princeville, which is on North shore.

Waimea Canyon is considered the Grand Canyon of the pacific.

The Na Pali coast is one of the most beautiful places on earth. The area is connect to Mt. Waialeale (same mountain region?), and has eroded over the years. The only way to see this part of the island (northwest side) is to hike or take a boat there. This area is home to one of the most famous hikes in the world- the Kalalau Trail.

Hanalei Bay on the North Shore was recently named the second best beach in the world. The nearby area is home to Bali Hai, which was made famous in South Pacific.
We are also home to numerous critically endangered monk seals.

Kauai is the old of the main Hawaiian islands and is a fabulous place. Oahu (Honolulu...) is considered the most modern and busiest of the islands. Maui is getting to that level, but is a bit slower, and Kauai is old Hawaii. Life is relaxed and people are incredibly friendly.

If you are planning a trip to the islands, make sure you come to Kauai. Its the best island!
I think we have a winner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 05:48 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,956,607 times
McDonough, GA

-30 miles SE of Atlanta
- Humid Subtropical climate with hot,humid summers and cool,wet winters with occasional snow, sleet and freezing rain can be a problem
-elev:878 feet, right on the piedmont
- about 80 miles from the Blue Ridge
- Smokey and the Bandit was filmed here
-Population has nearly doubled since 2000
- will probably become a suburb in the next 3-5 years

Old 06-16-2008, 06:01 PM

140 posts, read 562,725 times
Oregon, Illinois

-The population is slowly, steadily increasing, with about 4,250.
-Located along the beautiful Rock River
-The Black Hawk Statue on the north end of the city is the main attraction. She overlooks the river and sits up about 100 feet on a bluff.
-The historical downtown. Since the 90's we have had several entire city blocks designated as National Historical Sites.
-It is not as flat as you would think. Bluffs and rolling hills abound.
-We only have one fast food restaraunt, take a guess which one.
-We have three or four family restaraunts. Like a Sunrise, or a Spring Valley.
-The Historical Ogle County Courthouse a few blocks from the river in the historical district was built in the 1860's and another of Oregon's prominent land marks.
-The Autumn-On Parade the first Saturday in October is often Oregon's most famous and celebrated event. A few thousand or so visit.
-Christmastime in Oregon is also very neat. Horse-drawn carriage rides... Sinissippi Forest Christmas Cider and Donuts.
-Very nature-oriented. The Oregon/Central Ogle County area has an abundance of activities to do in the great outdoors, hiking, biking, camping, canoeing.
-Relatively far from a big city, Rockford, 30 miles north, Chicago, 90 (thereabouts) miles east.
-While in Oregon, stop at Alfano's Pizzeria... on Fourth Street near Mix Park. In my opinion, best pizza EVER.
-I actually do not live IN Oregon, I live about halfway between Oregon, Illinois and Rochelle, Illinois.

Don't even bother with Rochelle. It is a dump.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:09 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
I was waiting for something like this...

I live in Park Ridge, Illinois. It's a North-West suburb of Chicago that touches Chicago.

The population is a few thousand under 40,000 people.

It's mainly middle/upper middle class.

Harrison Ford and Hillary Clinton are from here

It was incorporated in 1873

Home to the Pickwick Theater!

Old 06-16-2008, 07:14 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Lawrenceburg, Kentucky

-Population: 10,000
-10 miles south of Frankfort, the state capital
-25 miles west of Lexington
-50 miles east-southeast of Louisville
-Only 20-22 minutes to Lexington's Bluegrass Airport
-Only 45-48 minutes to Louisville International Airport
-Home of two distilleries, Seagram's Four Roses and Wild Turkey. ALL Wild Turkey is made here.
-Home of Kentucky's largest winery, Lovers Leap
-This self-proclaimed "Burgoo Capital of the World" hosts the Anderson Co. Burgoo Festival twice a year
-We have had one of the longest-running local horse shows in the nation, the Lawrenceburg Horse Show, every June since the 1880s. William Shatner has showed off horses there.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:39 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Waco,Texas

Population is around 120,000 [probably decreased]

Voted as one of the worst places to live by Best Life magazine.

Voted one of the sweatiest cities in the U.S. {Usually in the Top 10}.

We're known as crazied religous fantatics who only go to church and still stuck in the 50s.

Centrally located within all the major cities in Texas.

We have the world's largest Baptist university in the world {Baylor University}.

We have Texas's largest municipal park and one of the countries largest.
City of Waco - Parks and Recreation (http://www.waco-texas.com/city_depts/parks/cameronpark.htm - broken link)

We have a great zoo which is only getting better.
Cameron Park Zoo - Waco, Texas

We also have many beaches {yes beaches!!! they suck though}.

Right now were experiencing the biggest transformation/Renovation this city has ever had [Named the Billion Dollar Decade]. Which includes lofts,grocery stores,hotels,marina,stadium,movie theatre,new iconic bride,etc all in downtown Waco.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:55 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
ATLANTA, GA:

Population in 1984 (when I moved here): 2 million
Population today (metro): 5.1 million

Best known for:

Traffic
Traffic
Traffic
Traffic
Smog
Traffic
Traffic
Traffic
Oh - Smog.
Sprawl
Carjackings
More Traffic
Transvestite hookers
Transvestite hookers causing traffic tieups
Rappers
Transvestite Rapper hookers causing traffic tieups
Drought
And let's see... last.... OH yeah - TRAFFIC!

Old 06-16-2008, 08:55 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post

Harrison Ford and Hillary Clinton are from here

I'm so sorry

Old 06-16-2008, 09:22 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
I'm so sorry
Hey, Hillary Clinton is a great politician.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.