Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 03:40 PM

262 posts, read 2,021,665 times

Advertisements

Well, Maryland isn't considered the Northeast, even though we are the 3rd wealthiest state in the US and the DC Metro region is one of the most expensive from a home price standpoint, so I guess I am off the hook!

Realistically, the_pines, I'm 23 years old and single and I own a home in a waterfront community, in a city where the MEDIAN home price is in the 700k range. It's not the norm but it is doable. Friends and acquaintances of mine who do NOT own homes are plenty happy renting b/c of the jobs and the cultural benefits of the area.

Are the prohibitive costs of desirable areas frustrating? Yes. Can the average 2-income family afford a $500k home? Nope. But a $100-200k home? Sure. There's plenty of places in the country where it is possible to have access to a nice job market and pay less than this for a house. Try Charlotte, NC, for example.

Can't afford Ohio? Get a 2nd job or move. Them's the breaks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 03:55 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,023,591 times
Wow! Maybe Pines needs a reality check. Oh yeah, and maybe it might also be a good idea to take responsibility for your own plight in life and stop blaming others. Californians and Northeasterners didn't put you in the position you claim to be in. You did it to yourself!

Old 01-10-2007, 06:13 PM

77 posts, read 473,844 times
Yes, Californians are to blame, all 35 million of us. We had a big meeting a few years ago(yes, all of us) and decided to ruin the housing market for the rest of the country. We are, everyone of us, rich, smart, beautiful and sit around all day in the sun. Hey, look at our governor. Talk about cool. Has "the pines" ever been to California? I am sorry this person has been having a bad time of it, but to blame California is absurd.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:04 PM

63 posts, read 343,031 times
You know what, I live in SoCal. I rent. I can't afford to buy and may never be able to afford to buy. I could be angry at all the midwesterners that have moved here over the last 20 years. I'm sure that has alot to do with the reason why prices have gone up so much here.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:11 AM

30,306 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lainie View Post
Yes, Californians are to blame, all 35 million of us. We had a big meeting a few years ago(yes, all of us) and decided to ruin the housing market for the rest of the country. We are, everyone of us, rich, smart, beautiful and sit around all day in the sun. Hey, look at our governor. Talk about cool. Has "the pines" ever been to California? I am sorry this person has been having a bad time of it, but to blame California is absurd.
Hey, why didn't anyone tell me about the meeting?? I don't like basking in the sun anyway, since I get burned too easily... LOL. Anyway, I do agree that he/she has probably never visited California, and it's completely absurd to blame us for everyone's problems.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:18 AM

889 posts, read 3,116,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Hey, why didn't anyone tell me about the meeting?? I don't like basking in the sun anyway, since I get burned too easily... LOL. Anyway, I do agree that he/she has probably never visited California, and it's completely absurd to blame us for everyone's problems.
Well now i feel out of the loop. I left Calif.6 months ago,( sold my house,made a ton of money,live in a fabo brand new home and bought that plasma tv) and in between all that there was a meeting???? Now dang i love basking in the sun,in my itsty,bitsy,teeni,weeni bikini cause my body looks like Nicole Richies!
Now thats a California girl
I think the same thing that this person has never been and is quite jeoulous of the people who have worked hard and prospered there.After all we were all taught at an early age that "making money is everything,we dont care,we take advantage and we are parasites".Wow what a sick generalization of people.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:42 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,023,591 times
I think while a lot of us were in college sacrificing our social lives and the partying so we could actually make something of ourselves so we would be able to afford to live in today's world and be homeowners, Pines missed the memo! Now he/she can't cope and it just feels better to blame the rest of us for his or her lack of skills, finances, homeownership, etc.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:57 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,725,980 times
Angry I am glad one of them finally decided to confess

Quote:
Originally Posted by lainie View Post
Yes, one of those who caused all the problem has finally fessed up. I am sure they also were in the front row at the meeting.

Now I figure that only leaves another 34,999,999 to come clean about their role in the absurd conspiracy that has also ruined my chances at Paradise.

I am sure with a group like this, Ohio will be ruined shortly too. I think one of them also stole my plasma TV too, might have been the ones that gave my dog hammer toe.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:59 AM

30,306 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I think while a lot of us were in college sacrificing our social lives and the partying so we could actually make something of ourselves so we would be able to afford to live in today's world and be homeowners, Pines missed the memo! Now he/she can't cope and it just feels better to blame the rest of us for his or her lack of skills, finances, homeownership, etc.
Amen. I hate when people resent others, simply for making something of their lives... it's not like someone just handed me those degrees, I worked my BUTT off to earn them. Over the last few years (while in grad school), I've been on maybe 3 dates total - not because I haven't been asked, but because I was too busy with my studies. This is one reason I'm still single, and living in a cheap rented apartment at age 30. So why shouldn't I be able to reap the benefits one day, when I made the decision to go to school? Not saying you have to attend college to be successful, but it certainly is one way to increase your chances.

P.S. Even with those degrees, I'm still not earning a great living, since I chose the educational field... but that goes against the "greedy Californian" stereotype, doesn't it? I do hope to move up in my career (librarianship), to eventually make enough to purchase a nice home.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:44 PM

150 posts, read 799,019 times
It isn't hard to understand Piney's frustration, if not his enmity toward an unjustified source. The fact is, the rich are getting richer and middle class jobs are leaving the USA to go to India, et al. Medical care takes out a big monthly chunk of change, if you're lucky enough to have it at all. Our national debt will soon come home to roost in our wallets and anyone paying back college loans may find themselves bequeathing them to their grandchildren.

Many are clamoring for senior citizens, who are healthier and live longer these days, to 'keep working' and save more for retirement. I hear it and you hear it, but do potential employers doing the hiring hear it? Not.

These trends are not the fault of the residents of certain states but a government that needs to be reigned in and redirected inward. We are living in a global economy, which shouldn't mean that only the very wealthy and very poor deserve to live in the US, in a decent home with affordable medical care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.