Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 07:02 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,045,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Don't forget about the people from overseas with more money that brains. They have done wonders to ruin my part of Florida. Crime follows them, and I am tired of it. Yet if I leave this state am I now one of those bad people?

absolutely not. I too am leaving Florida because I am not happy and cant afford either. If you feel youll live a better life elsewhere, relocation is the answer as it will be for me and millions others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
Well for starters all of Ohio has seen major price jacks in the last ten years. It is use to being one of the most affordable-balanced-stable states in the US..........

Ohio is still very affordable, even I can afford many different cities and towns. Ive seen nice houses very cheap, check Realtor com and youll see.
California was expensive before I was born, even my dad with a PHD couldnt afford it back then so it doesnt even matter today. Theres still many affordable cities where a low paying $15 an hour job is enough to afford a nice big 4 bedroom house with basement! Just dont buy in expensive cities.

Quote:
Yea pound your chest because you got some sucker to by your problems out. You people are rich and delusional. Just like I said shallow and uncaring for what you do. You shouldnt be allowed to move anywhere else. And there is plenty of land in NorCal. More than the entire state of Ohio that doesnt need to be a designated natural park. Thats just more of the usual money grubbing strategy. Same thing in Austin Texas. Endless land all around and they have a supply problem? Yea okay. The interior of Texas is vast and plentiful for any amount of sprawl for the next fifty years+.

Land in north CA is cheap, ive seen rural desert land for just a few thousand an acre. The problem is its not cheap to buy the materials and build a house! Lots of land in north Florida as well, I can easily afford several acres but the cost to have a house built on the land is like $150k for a 3/2 1800-2000 square feet house! I could just slap a $20k doublewide mobile home on the land but as long as theres affordable houses, I dont need a mobile home. Maybe future generations will. Texas is not expensive!

Quote:
I have worked my ass off. But you know what? The economy almost came to a complete standstill in Ohio and prices were still going up. There are very few new homes going up. Im talking about average homes prices. Not beach condos in Malibu. Descent clean areas without money grubbing folks like you. Where people arent looking to get rich off of real estate and screw the next generation. You rode the next boom to get rich quick. Somehow that makes you feel smarter because you got what you want. WOW!

What annual salary do you make? Because you can easily find a house you can afford. Trust me, I am not rich and theres so many affordable homes in Ohio. I am not allowed to provide links but you can search for yourself.

*countinue next post*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 07:25 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,045,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
You said it so well. I think the original poster has some jelousy issues or secretly always wanted to live in Calif. but is priced out of the market or something!Anger at other people who happened to make a profit on there house is just crazy. The funny thing is i have only been in my new home for a month and a half. Contractor basically sold to cheap and underestimated the market.We have already made a profit on our home by $50k or more

I second this. I read that CA is the most desired state and if it was cheap, half of America would be living in CA. I have news, CA wasnt affordable even before I was born. Many people have been priced out of CA for decades now.
I am not jealous of those who profit, its a capitalist nation. What if I buy wholesale computers and profit off each? Do the same if you want to make profit! If you arent happy with a house price, just dont buy it! Ill be buying a house I can afford and that is priced right and im sure you can agree.

Quote:
On weekends I watch programs on tv with my mouth agape, completely incredulous when $600,000 two bedroom tiny homes that would cost a tenth or less the price here are sold the first day with multiple offers. It seems to be mass hysteria!
Usually they buy those houses for investment or to demolish and build a proper house. No one seriously buys it with the only intention of calling it "home" People know if they had $600k they would buy a huge house elsewhere if their intentive was to call it a "home" to live in.

Quote:
Can't afford Ohio? Get a 2nd job or move. Them's the breaks...

LOL why do some people think Ohio is expensive? Its one of the cheapest states ive seen! Whoever thinks OH is expensive isnt looking in the right place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Wow! Maybe Pines needs a reality check. Oh yeah, and maybe it might also be a good idea to take responsibility for your own plight in life and stop blaming others. Californians and Northeasterners didn't put you in the position you claim to be in. You did it to yourself!
I totally agree! I am not gonna blame others, I will make my own money and buy whatever house I can afford with whatever money I have and thats that.

Quote:
only the very wealthy and very poor deserve to live in the US, in a decent home with affordable medical care.
the very poor are homeless! They do get free medical care but id rather have money, pay health insurance and have money left over.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:16 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,667,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I'm a native Californian who used the equity growth of my home in California to buy a magnificent home and property in Las Vegas in 2000, rode that boom and sold last June and paid cash for an estate in Missouri.
Unlike you, the people I've met have been wonderful and friendly and don't give a darn about where I come from, but accept me because I'm polite, friendly, hold American values, and respect them. The people who owned the house I bought sure seemed happy to accept my cash. It is green, has presidents on it just like everywhere else in the country. And, I actually brought the price lower by $40,000, so I actually DEPRESSED the price. Go figure.
If you're so poor that you have no home-buying prospects, it seems likely that the first place to turn is inward and take a good look at yourself and ask why you can't ever see yourself buying a home. It may have to do with a lack of skills and education for the job markets and that you can fix. Blaming others won't cure your apparent lack of skills or ambition.
I bought a home in the San Francisco Bay area when everyone told me I could never find a home I could afford. Stop complaining and get off your ass and work for your dreams.
Momark you know I love ya..lol...but don't be too hard on these people who weren't in the right place at the right time like you. You basically won the lottery!! Not to say you haven't worked hard in your life....but so have alot of people, and they are still struggling.Sometimes working hard has nothing to do with it. I sacrificed income to stay home with my daughter the first 6 years of her life (while prices started to climb in Cali)so that I could raise her instead of a babysitter.(Oh...the audacity!!!) Well guess what? We got priced out of California ...and it's not because we didn't "work hard". Sure we fixed our problem by moving to Texas....but it's not always that easy for some.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:13 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,490,077 times
Quote:
Im done with the conversation.
Obviously, the rest of us aren't done!

I can't afford a house in Southern California, either. I can't even afford to move from my rent controlled apartment. I'm a divorced mom without any child support, with two kids in college. I take full responsibility for making the choice to have kids when I was very young, and I take responsibility for marrying a complete loser as well. Those choices have put me squarely in the lower middle class, unfortunately. I'm not blaming anyone else for the way I live, though, and I hope to change my status once my kids both move out.

Please remember that not everyone owns a home here. In fact, in L.A. almost half of us are renters! And believe me, rents aren't stagnant. No way are my wages keeping up with the market increase. When I first moved into my apartment almost ten years ago, the rent was $725 for a two-bedroom. Now the market rent is $1,350. That's an 86% increase! Do you think my wages increased that much? Try 35% over ten years. It's no wonder that I'm stuck in my rent controlled apartment until I can leave L.A. altogether.

I agree with the posters who said that the real estate investors and speculators are the ones truly responsible for the crazy housing prices. The tech stock bust back in 2000 and 2001 really scared off a lot of people from the stock market, and they all invested in real estate. They get rich; the rest of us pay the price.

I am sorry about what's happening in other areas of the country. However, I am far from being the "rich Californian with an attitude" who should blamed!

Old 01-13-2007, 06:09 PM

484 posts, read 1,938,991 times
Default It's not our fault!

Northeasterns and Californians we thank you for inflating housing markets so bad that people can pay their life away for small boxes and manufactured homes.

If anyone's to blame, it's people who bought houses 15 years ago, whose home values have skyrocketed. Mortgage lenders, the Federal Reserve, and whoever changed the Capotal Gains Law also share some blame.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:13 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,039,922 times
Default You give "us" (who ever that is) too much credit

Quote:
Northeasterns and Californians we thank you for inflating housing markets so bad that people can pay their life away for small boxes and manufactured homes.
Before you blow a gasket over some "us" vs. "them" fantasy, why don't you research the MARKET FORCES that are pushing the housing prices up in the areas you mentioned. As if individual Californians or Northeasterners had SO much power as to screw up the housing market for an entire continent. Did you ever stop to think that those of us who live in high-priced housing markets are ALSO struggling with the high cost of housing? Even for those of us who own. Sure, we might be in (for as long as we can pay the mortgage, insurance and taxes), but we're also in many ways stuck. So go easy on us. "We" have more in common with you than you give us credit for. We didn't "do it" any more than you did!

Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-14-2007 at 02:26 AM..

Old 01-15-2007, 12:52 PM

147 posts, read 239,143 times
Default Let's define the cause of gangs and crime

Quote:
Gangs are from poverty. Crime is directly linked to poverty. I dont have any envy or jealousy to live anywhere in California either. I dont envy rich people. I wasnt raised to value only monetary things as much as some people. Im done with the conversation. Ive got company and I dont want to sit around argueing with you. Facts are California is extremely expensive and unrealistic. People are leaving there in very large numbers. The housing trends have spread to the entire western US. I just wish people cared more. If there is nothing that can be done about it then millions of middle class to poor people wont be able to afford homes or raise families like in SoCal.
Gangs and crime come from moral poverty, not financial poverty.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:14 PM

14,984 posts, read 23,756,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh891 View Post
I made a ton of money selling my house in Florida but no one knows but me and my family how many times we went 'without' in order to have the house. We only have one car payment and just paid off $20,000 in credit card bills that we had to use to live on sometimes. .
And now you live in a tent? You used that money to buy an overinflated house at the current market price, you made no money. Equity cash out allowed you a larger house and maybe to pay off your debts but I bet you are in more debt then when you started, it's just consolidated into a mortgage.

Real estate prices are a problem, the common fallacy for some is "yeah I bought my house 20 years ago and now it's worth 20 times more, i'm rich!" No, you are not rich unless you move to one of the few remaining areas with reasonable housing prices. You sell your houe for 20 times what you bought it for, and buy a new house for 20 times what it's worth. The only people that higher housing prices benifit are real estate professionals and speculators/house flippers. A pox unto them. Real estate agents are the "lawyers" of the new century as far as hated professions.

Not that it is all their fault, but they share the blame. Interest rates, the trend of a mobile society and changing jobs, the dot.com boom in the late 90's, creative financing, consumerism, all had to do with the increase in real estate. It will come crashing down as interest rates rise, forclosure become more common, and the housing market supply exceeds demand. Lets hope it doesn't take the total U.S. economy with it.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:40 PM

17 posts, read 61,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Its to bad you feel that way.Now where exactly are you from that you see this happening to the state/town you live in?
I've been reading some of The_pines posts, and it seems he's from Dayton, Oh, but living in Tampa , Fl. He complains about everything. Dayton Oh has recently been ranked one of the lowest priced housing markets in the USA!

Old 09-21-2007, 02:06 AM

1,994 posts, read 4,842,842 times
Honestly,I don't care what the rest of the Country thinks of us....California get's bashed either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.