Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 06:10 PM

4 posts, read 9,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
I live in the Mid-Atlantic. Maryland, DE, and DC are not the south, they are Mid-Atlantic. I sometimes consider it a subregion of the NE and sometimes a region of it's own. It depends
maryland is the south no ins, ifs, or buts about it. its not georgia buts its definetly not new york, philly, or connecticut and as a fellow yankee Im offended when people call maryland the northeast because its not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 06:15 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazonQueen View Post
maryland is the south no ins, ifs, or buts about it. its not georgia buts its definetly not new york, philly, or connecticut and as a fellow yankee Im offended when people call maryland the northeast because its not!
Im offended when people not from my area,who have likely never been, try to tell me where i live. Sorry, no ins, no ifs, or buts, I live in the Mid-Atlantic, a subregion of the Northeast, with the southern parts of the Mid-Atlantic having southern influences.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:51 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,191,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazonQueen View Post
And Boston is definitely not new york, philly or connecticut...so is boston not northeastern? Truly, Philly is not New York or Connecticut. Every region of the Northeast has its unique characteristics.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:53 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Its funny, I have never heard anyone on Long Island or New York City ever call New York State the Mid-Atlantic. We would just say plain old Northeast. I suppose if we do not use Mid-Atlantic down here, I doubt they would say it upstate near the Canadian border!

To me the Mid-Atlantic is the coast down around the Delmarva area or Chesapeake Bay. Its warmer, less hectic and further away from the big cities - not New York City beaches like Coney Island and the Rockaways!

Old 10-17-2008, 09:55 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
^^ NYC is mid altantic brah - not sure about LI though. that's another planet. wtf is massapequa, bethpage, little neck? lol.

LI is its own state imo

Old 10-17-2008, 10:05 PM

204 posts, read 751,771 times
A region of its own.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:09 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
^^ NYC is mid altantic brah - not sure about LI though. that's another planet. wtf is massapequa, bethpage, little neck? lol.

LI is its own state imo
I would say you got it the other way around - Long Island seems more Mid-Atlantic to me than NYC.

Btw - the Mid-Atlantic would be some great region if it was sort of a mixture of North and South. Think NYC, Philly, Wash DC, Colonial Williamsburgh, Ocean City, the Jersey shore, the Shenadoah & Hudson Valleys, the Adirondacks, Catskills, Poconos and Niagara Falls all in one region! Plus Hershey!

Old 10-17-2008, 10:52 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,427,490 times
Sub-region of the Northeast.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:19 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
The Mid-Atlantic is a subregion of the Northeast. I draw the line however, at any state south of Maryland. Those who say Virginia is Northeastern I think need to stop and think about what they are saying. Just about all of Virginia and North Carolina are climatalogically and culturally Southern states. Northern Virginia is as far as I would go for an inclusion in the Mid-Atlantic.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:53 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I would say you got it the other way around - Long Island seems more Mid-Atlantic to me than NYC.

Btw - the Mid-Atlantic would be some great region if it was sort of a mixture of North and South. Think NYC, Philly, Wash DC, Colonial Williamsburgh, Ocean City, the Jersey shore, the Shenadoah & Hudson Valleys, the Adirondacks, Catskills, Poconos and Niagara Falls all in one region! Plus Hershey!
Nope, I agree with John Starks. When I think of Mid-Atlantic cites I think of Philadelphia, Newark, Dover, Baltimore and NYC. Of course there are others but these are just some examples. Long Island is too far off for me and is to suburbian. I would rather group Long Island with upstate NY then I would the Mid-Atlantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.