Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2008, 06:28 PM

105 posts, read 302,543 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I'm a female in my mid-20's living in Providence, RI. I was born here, my whole family is here, friends, career, etc. I don't care much for RI, nor have I ever...just staying here because of all of the above mentioned things.

A problem I have encountered is the lack of job opportunities here. I work full time in Radio Broadcasting, and plan to continue doing so for the rest of my career. However, because of my wanting to advance in my career, I have no option but to leave RI. Which is ok, since I hate snow, cold weather, expensive housing and horrible roadways. But where the heck should I go?

I am single with no children, so I am looking to live somewhere that is not surrounded by children, schools, and so on. I love the peace and quiet of somewhere like New Hampshire, but only temporarily...as I get bored there after 3 days. Then on the other hand, I absolutely love NYC! I feel it is too busy and loud for me on a permanent basis, and far too expensive for my current budget unfortunately.

So my question is...where does a single, 20-something female, who works in Radio Broadcasting go to live if she wants her career to flourish, peace and quiet, but some city life too if I desire. Someplace warm, safe, with shopping and restaurants, and affordable. My salary is only in the low 30's, so I cannot afford to buy, I would have to rent :-(, unfortunately....

Does anyone have any advice for me? All help/thoughts are greatly appreciated!!! Thanks a bunch!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 09:05 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
A suburb or mid-sized city would probably fit you best, if you prefer a calmer atmosphere (but with access to urban amenities).

If you don't like the cold or snow, try southern cities.

Nashville has a growing job market....the city isn't too bustling or busy, but it's still a decent size with plenty to do. Same with Raleigh (although it is a bit more congested than Nashville).

Atlanta or the Texan cities could also work. Although, since they are bigger, you may prefer suburbs in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.