Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greatest influence on the U.S.A.
New York City 63 36.21%
Los Angeles 64 36.78%
Chicago 4 2.30%
Boston 3 1.72%
Milwaukee 0 0%
Seattle 0 0%
Portland, OR 0 0%
San Fransisco 1 0.57%
San Diego 0 0%
Denver 0 0%
Phoenix 0 0%
Houston 9 5.17%
Dallas/Fort Worth 5 2.87%
Philadelphia 3 1.72%
Pittsburgh 2 1.15%
Detroit 5 2.87%
Minneapolis/St. paul 0 0%
Other Nation 6 3.45%
other (please state) 9 5.17%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 05:37 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,128 times

Advertisements

Very good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The greatest influence on the USA is not a city, it is the country and good, honest, hard working people. If cities were the only things America had, it wouldn't have much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 05:38 PM

149 posts, read 200,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I knew there was a possibility of the poll being rigged (maybe it was, maybe it wasn't).

But I still don't think it was one person. Creating 30 new e-mail addresses and registering them all would take a long time.
It actually takes a few seconds to register an account here. I don't think there is any verification process.

I stand by my argument that it was rigged by a desperate guy from Lost Angeles. It's baffling why someone would waste their time with such nonsense. Compare this to the other "Greatest influence thread" where NYC is ahead by 2X. It makes no sense.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:39 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
But to create all those e-mail addresses too?

Anyway, I think it's sort of a disservice to say that only a troll would vote for LA (not that you necessarily said that, but others have). A lot of our legitimate regulars voted for LA too (on the list, I see at least 8 members who are really well-known on here).

Old 06-16-2008, 05:42 PM

149 posts, read 200,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
But to create all those e-mail addresses too?
No, I don't think there an email verification process. You can type any phony email into the e-mail field when you register and you are still allowed to go straight to threads.

And I don't think everybody who voted for LA is a troll. Some people prefer Los Angeles, I'm quite aware...but compare this to the other threads, and the fact that it jumped up by like 30+ points in less than 45 minutes makes no sense. City-Data General section does not have that kind of traffic.

But it's funny that New York will still catch and beat LA, even with the phony accounts and votes.

Last edited by soho111; 06-16-2008 at 05:54 PM..

Old 06-16-2008, 05:48 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
Quote:
No, I don't think there an email verification process. You can type any phony email into the e-mail field when you register and you are still allowed to go straight to threads.
Really? It's been awhile since I've registered, so I had no idea. C-D should really tighten security a bit...

Anyway, the second part wasn't necessarily directed to you. I edited it after I realized that it came across rudely. Sorry.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:51 PM

990 posts, read 3,185,619 times
As the maker of this poll, something seems wrong, and many legit people voted for LA, but at the same time some of the LA votes look suspicous.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:58 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
I voted for LA. I think I was like the tenth person to vote, back when LA was loosing the thread. I noticed it jumped a ton too and was surprised, especially after the other thread. I personally think LA's culture has a larger effect on this country, but New York's economy and importance is stronger. I don't think importance equals influence though and a lot of new growth and cities model LA more than NYC nowadays. Both cities are very important to our country though and are the anchors of their respective coasts.

It would be interesting to be able to do the poll with all residents from Greater LA and New York excluded (which I know isn't possible). I'm sure LA seems more influential to someone like me, living only 1 hour outside of LA, while NYC would seem more influential to someone living in New Jersey. It would be nice to see what people just outside of the metro areas of these cities think.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:04 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
It's true, some of the "users" that voted for LA joined yesterday and have not made a single post. I clicked on 3 users whose names I did not recognize and all three profiles were created yesterday and none has made a single post yet. I'm sure if I continued clicking on users whose names I don't recognize I'd find much of the same.

wingerphx, wewin, and rowand were the 3 I clicked on.

edit: I just checked out 3 more profiles, all new. Just click on any username you don't recognize and you can see what I mean.It's pretty ridiculous that someone would go through that much trouble to influence such an insignificant poll.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:12 PM

990 posts, read 3,185,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It's true, some of the "users" that voted for LA joined yesterday and have not made a single post. I clicked on 3 users whose names I did not recognize and all three profiles were created yesterday and none has made a single post yet. I'm sure if I continued clicking on users whose names I don't recognize I'd find much of the same.

wingerphx, wewin, and rowand were the 3 I clicked on.

edit: I just checked out 3 more profiles, all new. Just click on any username you don't recognize and you can see what I mean.It's pretty ridiculous that someone would go through that much trouble to influence such an insignificant poll.
It's not like this poll decides the fate of the world LOL, obviously some people just can't do this the fair way. I apploud those who voted for NY, LA or any other city who did not cheat!!

Old 06-16-2008, 06:14 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soho111 View Post
You're taking this thing way too seriously. You will be OK! Breathe!
Kind of ironic that someone who says this has so many posts in this thread, probably more than anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.