Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:03 AM

78 posts, read 437,138 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your responses. Although weather is a huge consideration we are also looking at the huge picture. We don't want to live somewhere that has 6 months of winter weather, but we also don't want a place that is not "lively." If there is a big community sense and things to do during bad weather, we will consider it. Our huge thing is wanting a place that we can make home, that we will be accepted. We are "liberal" and have found it hard to fit in in Virginia. (I am not putting down anyone who thinks differently, just saying we don't want to be the minority in thinking.)

Thanks so much for your replies. Look forward to more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 06:11 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,562,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Weather is an issue in Des Moines as well. It has a typical midwestern climate: hot and humid in summer, cold in winter. Look up some weather stats on one of the weather websites.

I have lived in a college town (Champaign, IL) as a working adult with no ties to the University, and it got old, for me. That is the downside of a college community. Madison is more than just the university, it is also the state capital and it is not too far from Milwaukee, so it may be a bit different.

I think Columbus (also college town and state capital, but larger than all that) would perhaps be best.
Madison really isn't too much more than the University. Just more people than most college towns, so it can field a few more things in it. \
My vote goes to Columbus.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:15 PM

6,341 posts, read 11,087,268 times
Go with Columbus. Ithaca would be an excellent choice if you don't mind the drive to Syracuse for recreation. But in the winter that can be a real chore thanks to all the Lake Effect snow in Syracuse.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:20 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukusmom View Post
Thank you all for your responses. Although weather is a huge consideration we are also looking at the huge picture. We don't want to live somewhere that has 6 months of winter weather, but we also don't want a place that is not "lively." If there is a big community sense and things to do during bad weather, we will consider it. Our huge thing is wanting a place that we can make home, that we will be accepted. We are "liberal" and have found it hard to fit in in Virginia. (I am not putting down anyone who thinks differently, just saying we don't want to be the minority in thinking.)

Thanks so much for your replies. Look forward to more.
There ARE vibrant/liberal places in the south.

Of the cities you picked, Columbus would probably work best. On your other thread I think I also suggested Providence.

But why not look at places like Austin? Or Nashville?
Asheville, NC could work too.

If weather is that big of a factor for you, do realize that there are plenty of vibrant warm-climate places.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:56 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,280,626 times
Of those cities, I'd say Des Moines.

But otherwise have you considered a look at Omaha. (yes I can hear the rest of you groaning)
Omaha is relatively safe, as it is about at the median in that account, and the downtown(entertainment) and midtown(residential) areas are relatively low on crime, The Dundee neighborhood is praised as a Jewel of Omaha and is home to the richest man in the world Warren Buffet, but homes are very affordable. We are not a huge city, so we have a nice community feel, but we are bigger than Des Moines. We are the most liberal part of Nebraska and may turn the state purple in November(yes Nebraska can do that). Tornados are very rare, and usually hit the area in the spring if they hit at all. We had two twisters hit this year(a rarity) and there were no injuries.
Omaha has all four seasons.
Anything else you want to know? any concerns?

sorry to rant, but the city seems like a good fit to your specifications.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:26 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,388 times
If I were making this decision I would check out graduate rates for the areas. I would also try to find stats on teen pregnancy, and crimes committed by youths involving drugs. Others have recommended Columbus. I'm not so sure about that. I suspect Ohio fails at the things mentioned above.

I have never been to Madison or the other places. I have been to Columbus. It has a fairly high crime rate, fairly average schools, its overpriced, its economy is mostly retail right now, and the place is filled with bars everywhere. Its very average in terms of everything.

I don't think Ohio offers that great of an education either. So im thinking your children could be persuaded by bad influences more easily there. Or get caught up in to crime, drugs, or just not be challenged enough in school. Ohio can be very "homey" and might actually seem very tranquil sometimes, but I don't think it offers the best opportunities. Boredom can be a big problem in Ohio. The place can be a trap for people who walk on the line when it comes to being a go getter or putting things off.

Despite that I would think if you have a close relationship with your kids and encourage them to do a lot of things and help out, Ohio can be a nice place. I just don't ever want to see another Ohio person turn out to be a loser like me as long as I live.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I don't agree with a lot of the above. Columbus is a college town and the state capital; college towns usually have good schools. It is true that some parts of Ohio are very depressed, but that does not seem to be the case with Columbus. If you want mild winters I would not suggest Ithaca, Madison, or Des Moines, or Omaha.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:49 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,195 times
Cleveland get a pretty negative reputation, as well as a few other cities in Ohio, but Columbus isn't bad off at all.

And honestly, it has the most mild winters of the cities the OP is looking at (Ithaca, Madison, and even Des Moines get really cold in the winter).

Old 06-23-2008, 12:28 AM

663 posts, read 2,263,522 times
Ithaca, NY

It is BEAUTIFUL there.

Enjoy and good luck in your travels!

Old 06-23-2008, 06:58 AM

78 posts, read 437,138 times
Default The South

We are not considering areas south of Virginia because of the heat! I do not do well with extreme heat at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
There ARE vibrant/liberal places in the south.

Of the cities you picked, Columbus would probably work best. On your other thread I think I also suggested Providence.

But why not look at places like Austin? Or Nashville?
Asheville, NC could work too.

If weather is that big of a factor for you, do realize that there are plenty of vibrant warm-climate places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.