Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 07:42 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Yep, it may be colder than the usual, but it's normal. It snowed every year I lived in Las Vegas and in 2003 in Dec., it was enough snow that people stayed home.
I grew up in California and I can remember several large snowfalls in Central California that accumulated to 6+ inches. It usually falls and melts if it happens in San Francisco, though Twin Peaks and Mt. Davidson might get temporarily white.
And back in 1990, it was a deep freeze for almost a week and a half of temps. in the mid-20's in San Francisco. 50 year old Jade trees shriveled up and died, Eucalyptus trees died in their thousands, the ponds froze over in Golden Gate Park and I had to wear a parka to walk to work on Nob Hill!
It happens!
What worries me are ice storms and now they're predicting one, intensity as yet unknown, here in southern Missouri. I HATE ice storms. They wreck everything.
Just picturing ice caking those steep San Francisco hills makes ME nervous. Everyone in San Francisco already have calves the size of grapefruit from climbing those suckers all the time. Add ice into the mix and I think their legs might just burst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 08:07 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,150 times
Ill show you a picture of the temperature weather map. Usually the color is light blues to greens which correspond to 20-40 degrees.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:17 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,589 times
I am from Minnesota, it is brrrrrrr cold here, below zero temps, but no snow, that is very strange for Minnesota, we have no snow on our grass at all, isn't this January??? I don't think we have ever made it this long with out snow in our area. I am loving it though, as I hate the snow and cold, boy I can't wait to move.
Any ideas on what state to pick??? From what I see they are all going through some different type of weather patterns this winter. So now I will be hard to make upmy mind, booo hoooo. Could some one turn up the heat outside?????!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-12-2007, 09:26 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,150 times
If theres no clouds, there wont be precipation(rain, snow, sleet) Yes your state is cold, too cold for me to consider it a possibility to relocate to. Id choose a warmer state like Ohio or West Virginia. You will get maybe an inch of snow or a little more and temperatures not much below freezing. Nice mild winter and still enjoy 4 seasons

Old 01-12-2007, 10:40 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
If theres no clouds, there wont be precipation(rain, snow, sleet) Yes your state is cold, too cold for me to consider it a possibility to relocate to. Id choose a warmer state like Ohio or West Virginia. You will get maybe an inch of snow or a little more and temperatures not much below freezing. Nice mild winter and still enjoy 4 seasons
We were doing so good until today, I thought we would squeak past winter this year. I didn't get that lucky, it is freezing in here, I have the heat on 72 and it feels like the cold just sneaks in and hits my bones, and makes my fibromyalgia freak out and with that start of RA, well Aurthor don't like it one bit!!!!! He is *****ed, I can't say I blame him.
I used to have something printed up from dear Abby, something to due with all the Arthor's, and some other ailments names, I clipped it out because it fit me so well, and beings I have that forgetfulness problem, it may take a while to find it.
I guess what I am trying to say is I give up!!!!!! I want some heat!!!!!!!
Please let this be short lived!!!!!!!

Old 01-12-2007, 11:09 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,908 times
Tonight, Butte, MT is expecting to get down to -34. I think right now it is about -20 or so there. But like people said, it's typical in this area of the country. Butte's AVERAGE low this time of year is around 0, so having temperatures below 0 is very, very common. It's colder than Moscow and probably comparable to southern Siberia around SW Montana, to be honest.

I will never, ever forget the look on my friend's face when I picked him up at Butte's airport. He was from Scotland. When we stepped outside from the warmth of the airport, we had a windchill of -40 or so. The horror on his face, LOL!

Old 01-12-2007, 11:19 PM

77 posts, read 473,914 times
Dear NAH,

I know you want to live in Oil City. I grew up there and lived outside of Franklin(a nearby town) in the early 70's. One winter it went down to 20 below. Just thought you might like to know before relocating.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:14 AM

150 posts, read 799,180 times
LI probably stands for Long Island, which is in NY. Where, btw, they actually have a risk of hurricanes.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:18 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,762 times
NAH - I guess it's your age? You just seem so "naive" when it comes to weather!!! I mean, the northern states ALWAYS get below zero temps and -temps with windchill!!!!!!!!! What is your malfunction with this???!!! Not being obnoxious or making fun, I just really don't understand why you're in such a dream world when it comes to temps!!!
NYC used to get zero IN THE 70'S!!!!!!!! I mean, it was REALLY rare back then, but it still happened! Now it's not that unusual! My dad is ALWAYS telling me it's below zero with the windchill!!!
Just not THIS YEAR!!! The weather is getting WARMER!!! It's a cyclical thing don'tcha know!

Old 01-13-2007, 04:26 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
NAH -

For someone who forecasts the weather for a job....trust me the warmth of this winter (so far) in western PA and eastern OH is far from normal and normally these areas see temps well below freezing for an extended period of time and several snowfalls. Below is a link to the Pennsylvania state climate page. Using the middle column....click on window and scroll down to you find Franlkin, which is the closest site to Oil City with a climate record. You can then look at all sorts of data. I cannot post the table itself, the climate data section for Franklin shows average temps for this time of year high of 35 and low of 15.... and they average 51.5 inches of snow based on data back to 1926.

http://climate.met.psu.edu/data/city/cityhome.php

I like cold weather too (why else did I choose to live in North Dakota where we get below zero about 40-50 times a winter usually)....we hit -44 two years ago (wind was calm). Your ideas on housing up there are interesting and I wish you the best of luck. Having lived in 4 homes in my life so far....just not sure it is realistic. You need insulation and good heat up north. Winters are not all the same...this one has been unusually warm (though a return to more normal weather will occur).

Dan

Dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.