Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 04:53 PM

3 posts, read 9,806 times

Advertisements

I just finished a Ba degree, and I'm contemplating moving to the U.S. I also want to start my own business. and I want to move because I want a change of pace. I need help finding a location.

Things to consider:

I have no children, Im in my mid twenties, I am a single female. I love big cities like New York, Toronto, Chicago, and even San Francisco.... however, I am curious to other places as well.I know that I look for everything a big city has to offer, but Im also looking for a safe, multi-cultural, low cost for housing, safe place to raise children, and all the perks of city living. If there is a beach close by, even better because I like to do many activities such as biking, hiking and camping.

Im excited to start a new chapter in my life and the town that I currently live in is no longer up to my expectations.

Im open to anywhere on the map but that's what Im looking for!!Can anyone help?..I'd love some suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 06:04 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,087,268 times
Pittsburgh has everything that you are looking for except the beach. It's a few hours to the MD or NJ shoreline. However, there are plenty of parks and forests in the area that will offer biking, hiking and camping. The job market there is better than most in the USA right now.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:56 PM

323 posts, read 1,425,946 times
San Diego?

Old 06-23-2008, 10:26 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times
San Diego fits the bill except the housing cost are insane. Also the gang and homeless problems are unbearable. I got the heck out of there and moved to Montana.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:30 AM

139 posts, read 451,027 times
Austin, except for the beach. But, it has tons of lakes and rivers, along with hiking, biking, and camping.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:07 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,195 times
Austin is a good suggestion. It has the vibrancy of a large city, but with much lower costs.

As for major (giant) cities, Philadelphia, Houston, and Atlanta are probably the most affordable (NYC, Boston, San Francisco, LA, Chicago, San Diego, etc. are all going to be expensive).

Old 06-24-2008, 03:06 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,688,622 times
Omaha, Denver, Houston?

Old 06-24-2008, 04:12 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,562,445 times
Minneapolis is nice because it doesn't overwhelm your senses, yet has everything that cities of its size (and of some that are larger) should have. It is safe, and diverse. Housing isn't cheap, but it is far from other cities of its class. The city is noted for its extensive park system, and the culture here is very orientated toward nature. There aren't the beaches, but lakes abound (even in the core of the city) and hiking, biking and camping are ubiquitous here. Minneapolis is also pretty conducive to business. The population is educated and the economy is diversified. I would also suggest places like Pittsburgh, Kansas City and Denver.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:31 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,195 times
The only thing about Minneapolis, though, is that the weather can be constricting to one who likes to be outdoors all the time.

Pittsburgh is extremely affordable, and not quite as harsh of a climate, so maybe Pitt.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:37 PM

605 posts, read 2,380,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious_Chick View Post
I just finished a Ba degree, and I'm contemplating moving to the U.S. I also want to start my own business. and I want to move because I want a change of pace. I need help finding a location.

Things to consider:

I have no children, Im in my mid twenties, I am a single female. I love big cities like New York, Toronto, Chicago, and even San Francisco.... however, I am curious to other places as well.I know that I look for everything a big city has to offer, but Im also looking for a safe, multi-cultural, low cost for housing, safe place to raise children, and all the perks of city living. If there is a beach close by, even better because I like to do many activities such as biking, hiking and camping.

Im excited to start a new chapter in my life and the town that I currently live in is no longer up to my expectations.

Im open to anywhere on the map but that's what Im looking for!!Can anyone help?..I'd love some suggestions.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-10-2018 at 06:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.