Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Los Angeles: traffic, real estate, mortgage, metropolitan city, earthquake survival.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 05:11 PM

382 posts, read 589,690 times

Advertisements

LA is awesome. I wish I lived there..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 04:58 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,868,413 times
Nonsense. Los Angeles is the place. I love the West Coast. I want to move there so bad.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:44 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,343,459 times
Its obvious people prefer to live in suburbs rather than mega-cities. You can say well look at how large certain cities are that are all urban like NYC. Yea, well if you look at the demographics most of those cities are foreigners. Most people in the US have always leaned towards creating smaller cities and suburbs. That's why its hard for places in cities to attract urban living to revitalize themselves. The only reason people live as much as they do in suburbs around cities is because of amenities. LA is not only out of touch and reason, but the entire state of California is. People in flyover states are very glad that their state isn't anything like California. Not just LA. This becomes very clear looking at demographics.

Most of your immigration comes from foreigners and not internal migration. In that scenario California has more people leaving than coming in. Its not just LA. Most of the big cities suck with a passion. Most of the big cities do not rely on people from our country, but people coming from other countries. People from our country have continued the trend of moving to smaller, more practical, less expensive places.

I also find it hard to believe that the middle class thinks as highly of cities like San Fransisco, LA, and New York as online publications, or people on here seem to think. As evidenced by people the majority of non-foreign born people moving to less expensive areas, rather than the bigger cities. Most of San Fransisco's migration is probably foreign, or second generation. People actually don't give a rats arse for the most part about the way these cities portray themselves as king of the hill, or fashion king, or whatever else.

There is the real US, which isn't acknowledged unless its called backwards and dumb, then there is the nonsense that spews out from the cracks. Most non-foreigners are leaving California as opposed to coming in. That number is only going to grow substantially. From Arkansas, to Georgia, to the entire western portion of the country.

People are jealous of California's scenery. Not its wealth. Not its culture. Not its fast cars. Not its political views billed as progressiveness. Most of the people who aren't foreign born don't even bother with any of the bigger cities. Its not just because they aren't practical, its also because people just don't really like those cities, and their prevailing attitudes in general. Crime, deprivation, corruption, the follower mentality, its all their on a much larger spectrum in most bigger cities. Demographics shows that most people are silent and vote with their feet. Bigger cities are mainly growing because of people from elsewhere that are drawn in. They keep numbers up by new immigrants, not people in the country moving to them the majority of the time.

Anyway for anyone with common sense the patterns are obvious. Those cities need a constant supply of external migration coming to them to grow, or even sustain their populations. Most people probably just don't like cities like LA OR NYC. The people that defend them usually try to say that people consider this or that city as this or that. That's more of a media thing than anything. Most people from our country AVOID those cities and the people who reside within them.

If we weren't constantly subjected to these cities rash opinions, and a careless media culture, then the US would still be going along fine right now. Instead nobody knows what lay ahead for tomorrow. No one cares what California has to offer in terms of culture or whatever for the most part. If the state could be made back to its original self, without all of the spoiled rotten people and their crummy politics, I know people would way rather have it like that again then have it the way it is now. The very fact that most people from California can not comprehend this, is in itself depravity. Its not just LA that is way out of whack either. Its the same thing for NYC. They all think their city is the capital of the world, and the most progressive and this and that. Most of the time progressive actually means regressive, with circular reasoning. They build up standards to tear them down over and over and never find solid ground. With indifferent views, it ties everyone hands.

The country was more concerned with individual security, and quality of life rather than political views and fashion statements. I'll take California as a place to settle and pioneer again any day over what it is now. Since thats impossible, most people will just avoid the place and keep to themselves their displeasure of a once great place to move to having been absolutely destroyed by careless fanatics.

Please continue to fly over and coastal hop. That will be all.

Last edited by the_pines; 07-01-2008 at 08:10 PM..

Old 07-01-2008, 08:26 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,040 times
I love LA, and after spending two years at ASU before transfering back, I came to appreciate what LA has to offer even more.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:15 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
Quote:
vegaspilgrimI'm not going to even bother responding to happ's pompous remarks. He is the unhappy one, if you ask me. I'm not saying I'm the happiest person in the world, but this poster is worse. I don't owe anyone an apology.
Sadly I could have predicted that. Get your schooling & move away; your lack of character speaks volumes.

Sorry to be such a jerk but the very thing you accuse Angelenos to be you are in spades

Old 07-23-2008, 09:22 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I've been puzzled by the same reaction of posters [especially some from Chicago & New York].

I think part of the negativity is that Los Angeles is one city an American knows even if he/she has never been here. Television & the movie industry is centered in LA so, of-course, much of what is seen takes place here. Even on the TV commercials I recognize the neighborhoods or downtown scenes where they are filmed. Because the entertainers who live here generate lots of media attention [some of it not very positive] people across the nation begin to think that everyone crash their Lamborghinis into trees while drunk or high on drugs. Also many of the tv programs promote a glamorous lifestyle that attract young people [esp MTV] into thinking everyone in California lives practically on the beach w/ sexual activity 24/7.

Also California is a bit more eccentric than the other states. Our politics & issues can differ from the norm creating a negative perception that we are extremely liberal & out of sync with the rest of the nation. Los Angeles is more culturally diverse & less tradition-bound than the U.S. in general. Just this morning I read in the newspaper the study that found the West Coast to be the least religious of any region in the country.

Then, of-course, there is the magnificent beauty & climate that are idolized. Some become resentful over the natural paradise that is California.
Okay, just to make one thing straight... NYC is the television center, LA is the movie center. There's a difference.

LA is a beautiful area, a VERY beautiful area, just not a very attractive CITY. The members of C-D are a smart bunch. They're not all running around like the people you say love LA and don't know much about other cities and ways of life. This is a site of many travellers... Believe me, I know. I'm a 17-year old Bleacher Creature at Yankee Stadium who didn't know what the hell I was talking about for quite some time after I joined. But I've learned a lot here and I've used it well.

The demographics are 46% Hispanic in LA and still growing. The white and black population in LA is shrinking.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
Most people i've met love L.A,but the one's that hate it are found on City Data.

L.A is Huge and has Millions of People,so it has it's Good and Bad Points.

The things I love about L.A is the Diversity,Scenery,Outdoor Activities,Shopping,Dining,Entertainment,Special Events,the Opportunities and the Weather.

If others don't like L.A,well that's their opinion,but it doesn't affect my love for this Wonderful City
C-D people = educated travellers. You act as if people on C-D are a bunch of uneducated, know-nothing freaks. People who come to sites like these are some of the most well-rounded travellers around.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:31 AM

55 posts, read 79,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Okay, just to make one thing straight... NYC is the television center, LA is the movie center. There's a difference.

LA is a beautiful area, a VERY beautiful area, just not a very attractive CITY. The members of C-D are a smart bunch. They're not all running around like the people you say love LA and don't know much about other cities and ways of life. This is a site of many travellers... Believe me, I know. I'm a 17-year old Bleacher Creature at Yankee Stadium who didn't know what the hell I was talking about for quite some time after I joined. But I've learned a lot here and I've used it well.

The demographics are 46% Hispanic in LA and still growing. The white and black population in LA is shrinking.
\
new york city might have all the channel headqauters to cnn to MTV but there all owned by one company thats Viacom and its in a small building they just have many channels: Bravo, FX, sci fi,ETC but the shows thats a diffrent story the shows are produced and mostly made in L.A. that why New york allways have to associate with L.A. and they get really mad because they can't own the shows only recive them.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYGA View Post
\
new york city might have all the channel headqauters to cnn to MTV but there all owned by one company thats Viacom and its in a small building they just have many channels: Bravo, FX, sci fi,ETC but the shows thats a diffrent story the shows are produced and mostly made in L.A. that why New york allways have to associate with L.A. and they get really mad because they can't own the shows only recive them.
CNN is not out of NYC, it's out of Atlanta. NYC has the other three of four, which are FOX, NBC, and ABC. Viacom International Headquarters is not in LA, it's in New York City. So yes, NYC does pretty much "own" television and media.

NYC does not need LA. Don't even go there. NYC produced more than 1/3 of American movies in 2007 and still growing thanks to technology which allows for more indoor filming during the winter. NYC is the capital of the world in general and the film is a meaningless industry when you think about it, don't you agree when you walk down Wall Street and feel the power? Who really cares where Seinfeld is filmed? I know it's filmed in LA and yet they still base it in NYC and the star, Jerry Seinfeld, lives on Long Island in the Hamptons right now. He even created Bee Movie which is also based in NYC. HellBoy is based in NYC, superhero flix, comedy shows, House (based outside the city), etc.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:57 PM

98 posts, read 113,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYGA View Post
\
Wrong.

Wrong.

and

Wrong.

Go bury a hole and stick your head in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.