Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Building???
Chicago Spire 104 44.83%
Freedom Tower 116 50.00%
Neither 12 5.17%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:42 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,877 times

Advertisements

I like the look of both. I think Chicago will further enhance its already amazing skyline, and New York will build up what it tragically lost. I voted for Freedom Tower because of its meaning. I'd take the Twins any day over either of those 2...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 01:50 PM

35 posts, read 39,020 times
The spire sticks out like a sore thumb while the freedom tower flows with the skyline and is more asethicaly pleasing to look at while the spire is a eye sore that looks like an italian bread. I would like it better if they reduced the height.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:58 PM

35 posts, read 39,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Cloverfield, anyone?
that movie was intresting, just whish they would have explained what the monster was

Old 08-22-2008, 02:30 PM

382 posts, read 1,053,763 times
Interesting Coincidence-

Santiago Calatrava, the designer of Chicago's Spire, also designed the WTC Transit Hub proposal ('steel-wings building') that is between Tower 2 and 3.

Calatrava’s WTC Transit Hub Pared Down | News | Architectural Record

-
I'm more a fan of the WTC Towers/complex/park than the Spire

Old 08-22-2008, 08:57 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
I say that the spire fits in Vegas more cause its tacky, its cool cause its different but its kinda tacky looking, its a huge vibrator, Vegas is a tacky fake city, I hate that place,I was just offered a free room and board from my g/f's family to Vegas but I turned it down, I have to go with NYC, it looks more at home and more elegant.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:03 PM

304 posts, read 904,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You got that right. It would only work in Vegas if it was shaped like the Eiffel Tower, draped in tacky neon, and have some amusement park ride on it. Oh, add some stupid fountains in front of it, call it something cheesy and the braindead masses will gravitate to it, dragging their knuckles, all the while proclaiming "Vegas is hot, baby".

Vegas: "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas."

THANK GOD FOR THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sounds like someones mad more people visit vegas then the midwestern town this guy lives by

Old 08-22-2008, 10:20 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,172 times
lol....getting jealous because most of the exciting supertalls are all in NY & Chicago, huh? Someone should go out and convince people that LA is a real city so skyscrapers should be built there

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
sounds like someones mad more people visit vegas then the midwestern town this guy lives by

Old 08-22-2008, 10:26 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
lol....getting jealous because most of the exciting supertalls are all in NY & Chicago, huh? Someone should go out and convince people that LA is a real city so skyscrapers should be built there

I would rather live in L.A. than in Chicago, skyscrappers aint everything.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:39 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,172 times
They only make the city more powerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
skyscrappers aint everything.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:53 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
They only make the city more powerful

Skyscrapers are great and all, but I far prefer mountains. Skyscrapers are dreamt, built, and occupied by men, while mountains have a unique sense of undiscovered country about them. Also, skyscrapers are cold, unfriendly, and claustrophobic. Skyscrapers symbolize the epitome of collectivism, mountains typically symbolize just the opposite (in the sense of mountain climbing, one man's achievments against nature). Just my opinion, I wouldn't recommend anybody take it too seriously.

But anyways, back to the topic at hand, I far prefer the Freedom tower, as other posters have alluded to, the Chicago Spire is...very phallic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.