Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Building???
Chicago Spire 104 44.83%
Freedom Tower 116 50.00%
Neither 12 5.17%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 04:56 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times

Advertisements

I like them both, bit I'm giving an edge to The Spire as I like Calavatra and prefer his more daring approaching to architecture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 05:05 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I'm voting for the Freedom Tower. Living near New York I knew people who lost loved ones on 9/11, and for me this tower just speaks to me very emotionally. No offense to Chicago, but I agree that the spire looks very out-of-place.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:53 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
Yeah. The spire is a neat building...it just doesn't fit in with the skyline. It stands out too much to the point where it's distracting.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:10 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
HHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAA!!! I love the joksters we got around here! great joke

Maybe im a bit strange, but i thought this was about 2 skyscrapers, not 2 cities or their skylines.

Yea it is funny right? All the experts rank Chicago's skyline over NYCs. I love how you suddenly got so defensive.

I'm sorry,I don't think NYC has the best skyline, and I wrong for thinking that?

Old 06-28-2008, 11:48 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Yea it is funny right? All the experts rank Chicago's skyline over NYCs. I love how you suddenly got so defensive.

I'm sorry,I don't think NYC has the best skyline, and I wrong for thinking that?
That's not what i laughed at. The fact that you think New York has no diversity among it's skyscrapers is comical to me, especially since it's so apparent.

And No, I completely understand why many people think Chicago has the best Skyline, It is really beautiful!

But it all comes down to personal preference, which experts can't decide for me or anyone else.

I didn't try to sound so defensive btw! sorry!

Last edited by Billiam; 06-28-2008 at 11:57 PM..

Old 06-29-2008, 11:01 AM

187 posts, read 524,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [LEFT
radraja[/LEFT];4269407]Yeah. The spire is a neat building...it just doesn't fit in with the skyline. It stands out too much to the point where it's distracting.
That's exactly what people said about the Sears Tower, the Eiffel Tower, the Taj Mahal, etc. If we are only going to build structures that we feel fit in, can we call that progress? Can we call that vision? Can we call that creativity? NO! We in Chicago call that STATUS QUO! But that's is why Chicago is the birthplace of Modernism. That is why Chicago has a world renowned reputation for being a global leader in architecture, open spaces and urban design. IT'S CALL THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX! IT'S CALL TAKING CHANCES. IT'S CALL HAVING VISION! AND QUITE FRANKLY WE FIND MOST CITIES/PEOPLE LACK OF VISION DISTURBING!

Old 06-29-2008, 08:21 PM

990 posts, read 3,185,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post
That's exactly what people said about the Sears Tower, the Eiffel Tower, the Taj Mahal, etc. If we are only going to build structures that we feel fit in, can we call that progress? Can we call that vision? Can we call that creativity? NO! We in Chicago call that STATUS QUO! But that's is why Chicago is the birthplace of Modernism. That is why Chicago has a world renowned reputation for being a global leader in architecture, open spaces and urban design. IT'S CALL THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX! IT'S CALL TAKING CHANCES. IT'S CALL HAVING VISION! AND QUITE FRANKLY WE FIND MOST CITIES/PEOPLE LACK OF VISION DISTURBING!
WOOO There, calm down lol

Old 06-29-2008, 08:27 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post
Well, I personally don't think it compliments the rest of the skyline. Cool building, but I don't like the way it affects the skyline as a whole.

I'm entitled to my opinion.

No need to freak out.

(PS: I wouldn't use the word global - the Asian cities are kicking our butts in terms of modernism and architecture.)

Old 06-29-2008, 08:56 PM

990 posts, read 3,185,619 times
Maybe it will look better when aqua, and Waldorf-Astoria are complete. I also think trump will help it fit in a little.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:21 PM

149 posts, read 200,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post

All experts?

Please tell who all the "experts" are and where the they all unanimously agreed that Chicago's skyline is superior. Go around it all you want but fact remains New York is the King of the skyline and I'm pretty sure an overwhelming number of people agree New York has the best skyline.

When people think of New York, one of the first things that comes to mind is the amazing skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.