Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 10:54 PM

6 posts, read 31,062 times

Advertisements

This is possibly a strange request but I am currently in the process of writing a silly little story and would love some visuals to help me out.

It takes place in a city that apparently only exists in my mind but I was hoping there was a real city out there that looked similar.

Can you think of any cities that have the following:

1. Old architecture (red brick, European-influence buildings)
2. On a river - one side urban, the other side mainly suburban
3. Either bluffs nearby or a small mountain/large hill in the background. Not a totally flat landscape.
4. Medium-sized city of about 75,000-150,000. Enough to have an actual downtown and large buildings but clearly not a huge city.

Obviously not all of these are that important. The closest I have found is, surprisingly, Albany, NY. But it's not quite as pretty as I imagine my city.\ and it's fairly flat.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 10:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Some of the cities on the Mississippi River in Ill/Iowa/Mo. I'm too lazy to get out a map right now.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:02 PM

96 posts, read 616,578 times
Where I'm from, Southern Indiana (next to Louisville, KY) fits that criteria. I am from New Albany, Indiana. It seems like you described it with your criteria. It's got some older buildings and all, is right on the Ohio River, the west side is surrounded by what is called Floyd Knobs it's basically like a big hill but is like a forest kindof with trees all around on the hill it looks nice when everything is green, and the population is about 40,000 (suburban area of Louisville basically) and then the other side is Louisville which fits your idea of suburban on one side and urban on the other.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Some of the cities on the Mississippi River in Ill/Iowa/Mo. I'm too lazy to get out a map right now.
Yeah, I was thinking this too. I should just go down the river on a map and look each up.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMover08 View Post
Where I'm from, Southern Indiana (next to Louisville, KY) fits that criteria. I am from New Albany, Indiana. It seems like you described it with your criteria. It's got some older buildings and all, is right on the Ohio River, the west side is surrounded by what is called Floyd Knobs it's basically like a big hill but is like a forest kindof with trees all around on the hill it looks nice when everything is green, and the population is about 40,000 (suburban area of Louisville basically) and then the other side is Louisville which fits your idea of suburban on one side and urban on the other.
It's funny that you mentioned Louisville. About a year ago, I had a dream about Louisville even though I have never been there nor read about it. In my dream, it was on a river with beautiful bluffs overlooking it. When I looked up the actual city, it seemed to fit my dream eerily well. I think the city in my story is based on this dream city aka Louisville. I've just had a hard time finding any good city pictures that show off its beauty and architecture.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMover08 View Post
Also, I just looked this up on Google Images and a post from this forum had this image of Covington:

This is the closest I have found. I think the only thing missing is an abundance of old buildings/architecture but it might just be the picture I am looking for...

Old 06-25-2008, 11:26 PM

96 posts, read 616,578 times
Right there along the river where you see those buildings is probably ok but a lot of that area isn't a very good neighborhood, at least not from what I've seen of it. It does seem like it's starting to improve though.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:26 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times
How about Rapid City South Dakota? the city is literally divided in half by the black hills and probably has plenty of old buildings and I think its population is around 70,000 or 80,000 and it is on a river.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:22 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,919,071 times
Quote:
I agree that cities along the Mississippi would have be good in other years. But with current flooding, cities along the Mississippi aren't going be too attractive...they were pretty devestated by the flooding. Now isn't the best time for these cities. It may take awhile for things to clean up.

Instead, I'd recommend Ithaca, NY. If red brick is important to you, the best place to find it is the northeast (there isn't a whole lot in the midwest...some, but not a lot).

The Louisville area could also work.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:48 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isle of lucy View Post
This is possibly a strange request but I am currently in the process of writing a silly little story and would love some visuals to help me out.

It takes place in a city that apparently only exists in my mind but I was hoping there was a real city out there that looked similar.

Can you think of any cities that have the following:

1. Old architecture (red brick, European-influence buildings)
2. On a river - one side urban, the other side mainly suburban
3. Either bluffs nearby or a small mountain/large hill in the background. Not a totally flat landscape.
4. Medium-sized city of about 75,000-150,000. Enough to have an actual downtown and large buildings but clearly not a huge city.

Obviously not all of these are that important. The closest I have found is, surprisingly, Albany, NY. But it's not quite as pretty as I imagine my city.\ and it's fairly flat.

Thank you so much!

Charleston, West Virginia

pics taken from Google Images

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.