Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 07:55 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,538,358 times

Advertisements

Ok. Here's the criteria.

I would prefer to stay in the lower midwest all the way down to the southern states (meaning all the way over to places like SC and Mississippi, though NO ILLINOIS).

I lived in Illinois before right by a lake and the house was VERY affordable and it was about a half hour drive to the nearest suburbs of St. Louis.

We have since moved to the city and I now hate it.

I don't want to move back to the same place in Illinois but I am looking for

-affordable houses on a lake or within a quick walk (mile walk isn't a big deal). By affordable I mean $200,000 TOPS (and this is extreme extreme tops that I would be willing to pay).

-half hour or so drive to the nearest suburb of a city

-smaller town (5,000 or so?)

Can anyone give me any names to look at? If you want more info on what Im looking for, just post here and Ill reply. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by bls5555; 07-02-2008 at 08:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 08:46 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Kentucky has TONS of lakes to chose from, including the largest man made lake in surface area (KY Lake) and water volume (Cumberland). Cumberland is one of the top tourist destinations in the SouthEast, having over 6 million visitors a year, nearly as many as the Smokey Mountains

There are lots of nice subdivisions off Taylorsville Lake and Guist Creek Lake, each is about 20 miles from the edge of Louisville. T'ville Lake is larger and gets more speed boaters, GCL is small and winding, I think the whole thing is no wake so it's great for canoeing or kayaking as well as fishing.

Housing in the L'ville area is very affordable, so I don't think you'd have a problem with your price range. The land in that area is absolutly beautiful.

Guist Creek Lake

Taylorsville Lake

Old 07-02-2008, 08:56 AM

awesome. I have always been intrigued by Kentucky. Thanks for the info.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:26 AM

108 posts, read 452,395 times
Maybe Kingston, TN near Watts Bar Lake. It's not too far from Knoxville.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:26 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Village Idiot View Post
Maybe Kingston, TN near Watts Bar Lake. It's not too far from Knoxville.
It would help to know what type of lake you want also - for recreation if fishing, what kind? Lake Cumberland is very deep (main channel averages 200 feet!!) and cool, so it is mostly a Striped Bass and Trout lake. Kentucky & Barkley Lakes are warm and shallow (main channel rarely over 30) and are great for crappie and catfish. Both are in more rural areas (about 75 miles+ to any major city). Taylorsville & Guist Creek are similar to KY & Barkley, Lake Herrington is a lot like Cumberland - these 3 are just 30 minutes outside 'large' cities. Doe Valley Lake in Meade Co is also near Louisville

If you want a large lake in the mountains, Norris & Cherokee Lakes in East Tennessee are awesome. One of my grandpa's had a nice place on Norris L.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:52 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
It would help to know what type of lake you want also - for recreation if fishing, what kind? Lake Cumberland is very deep (main channel averages 200 feet!!) and cool, so it is mostly a Striped Bass and Trout lake. Kentucky & Barkley Lakes are warm and shallow (main channel rarely over 30) and are great for crappie and catfish. Both are in more rural areas (about 75 miles+ to any major city). Taylorsville & Guist Creek are similar to KY & Barkley, Lake Herrington is a lot like Cumberland - these 3 are just 30 minutes outside 'large' cities. Doe Valley Lake in Meade Co is also near Louisville

If you want a large lake in the mountains, Norris & Cherokee Lakes in East Tennessee are awesome. One of my grandpa's had a nice place on Norris L.
Kentucky and Tennessee are indeed blessed to have some amazingly beautiful lakes. I've always enjoyed camping around Land Between the Lakes (Barkley and Kentucky lakes).

I'm not sure if the OP will be able to find what s/he is looking for since it's almost impossible to find homes on or near these lakes for less than $200k unless s/he doesn't mind living in a trailer near one of the more rural lakes such as Cumberland in KY and Dale Hollow in TN/KY. Since TVA and the COE have restricted most of the lakes' shorlines from development it's tricky anymore to find cheap homes around the lakes. A little (and I mean LITTLE) cabin near (not on) Center Hill Lake that a buddy of mine bought for $20k in the 1970s sold for $300k a few years ago.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Kentucky and Tennessee are indeed blessed to have some amazingly beautiful lakes. I've always enjoyed camping around Land Between the Lakes (Barkley and Kentucky lakes).

I'm not sure if the OP will be able to find what s/he is looking for since it's almost impossible to find homes on or near these lakes for less than $200k unless s/he doesn't mind living in a trailer near one of the more rural lakes such as Cumberland in KY and Dale Hollow in TN/KY. Since TVA and the COE have restricted most of the lakes' shorlines from development it's tricky anymore to find cheap homes around the lakes. A little (and I mean LITTLE) cabin near (not on) Center Hill Lake that a buddy of mine bought for $20k in the 1970s sold for $300k a few years ago.
Well then, they might not be the right lakes. We had a 2000 ft sq. house about .5 mile walk down a sidewalk right to the lake in Illinois for $120,000. This was about 30-40 min. outside a major suburb. It was a nice lake I just wasn't fond of the town though it wasn't a horrible place or anything. We are more looking for recreation for the kids, not really fishing or anything.

Im sure there are plenty of them around, if KY and TENN aren't the right states then Ill look somewhere else.

THanks for all the help so far and I would appreciate more input. THanks.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:24 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
Louisville burbs.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Louisville burbs.
This is interesting. You are the 2nd to say this, and before we had moved I was interested in areas in Kentucky around Louisville. I will definitely look into it. Thanks a ton.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:47 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Louisville burbs.
I'm looking at a map of Louisville and don't see any lakes. Am I missing something?

But back to the OP, you might be able to find something in rural KY or TN. I haven't really investigated it much. I just know that around Nashville (Center Hill, Percy Priest, and Old Hickory lakes) and Knoxville (Norris, Loudon, Watts Bar, and Tellico lakes) you'll have a heck of a time finding something for less than $200k. But if you check the more rural lakes you might have more luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.