Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:32 AM

631 posts, read 1,885,527 times

Advertisements

I would go back for my Masters in Historic Preservation. I was going to start before I moved up here to the frozen tundra and that put a stop to things. There is no degree program up here for it plus there is not any need for it so it would be pointless while I live in AK but if I ever get to move back home getting my Masters is one of my goals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 11:55 AM

23,446 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyedgirl View Post
I would go back for my Masters in Historic Preservation. I was going to start before I moved up here to the frozen tundra and that put a stop to things. There is no degree program up here for it plus there is not any need for it so it would be pointless while I live in AK but if I ever get to move back home getting my Masters is one of my goals.
I have a friend that did this at the University of Vermont, then got a 'dream job' with the Historic Charleston Foundation.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:41 PM

631 posts, read 1,885,527 times
Oh wow, I envy your friend. That has to be an amazing job. I think my dream job would probably be Colonial Williamsburg or at a museum. Instead I get to be a paper pusher. Woo Hoo

Old 07-07-2008, 04:03 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
I went back to school (and then graduate school) starting at 35, to get degrees in geology and engineering. Loved it (and have thought about going back again). There were some interesting differences in going to school at that age, and I have to say one of them is lower tolerance for BS from professors and fellow students. I paid my way through school, every damned dime of tuition, books and fees, out of money I'd saved up and it really annoyed me to have my time wasted by unprepared professors/graduate student TAs or other students who hadn't paid attention and weren't doing the work and bogged down the class.

My advice for returning students: start at a community college, especially for beginning math and science courses. You will be taught by a full professor, not a graduate student with questionable English skills and zero experience teaching, and the community colleges care about retention rates. A lot of the full universities have delusions of grandeur and view drop-out rates as proof of exclusivity and rigor, which is flat-out BS. Any person of average intelligence can get through the first year of physics, chemistry and calculus IF it's taught well and the students are provided support (and are interested in learning it, of course).

Old 07-07-2008, 05:29 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
I would attend the finest school in the world for violinmaking and open up my own shop in San Francisco or New York.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:12 AM

439 posts, read 1,241,890 times
Well my mom to returned to college at the ripe old age of 60 to complete her business degree. So it aint ever too late. But in this economy I'd probably choose a technical/engineering degree. We're always in high demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.