Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 12:29 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times

Advertisements

I guess I dont really understand the whole sweet tea thing, I've always grown up with it only we just called it tea,wether it was sun tea or just instant tea but it was always sweetened while it was made.

I honestly dont know anyone who dosent drink tea sweetend, I never even thought of it I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 07:15 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
I don't like to drink sweetened tea. All restaurants in NY/NJ serve iced tea unsweetened. I like it that way. Sweetened tea tastes like sugar water to me. I forget about sweetened tea when I travel down South sometimes. I order an iced tea, and then take a sip, and immediately draw the glass away from my face and ask for water instead. I just can't drink it. But I also drink coffee black w/ no sugar, drink water all the time, and "water down" my fruit juices, so maybe I'm just weird like that. I like places in Virginia where, if you ask for an "iced tea," they reply "sweetened or unsweetened?"

Old 10-29-2008, 07:56 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
Yes, it's a normal thing.

Sweet tea is vile. That much sugar in anything makes me feel sick-- it also doesn't quench my thirst. I need water. Coke tastes so much better to me; I'd sooner order that before tea-flavored sugar.

With that being said, we "northerners" are in love with real tea. Ceylon high estate blends for breakfast, earl grey blends, et cetera. Coffee is king in the north, and I mean real coffee.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:34 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Some folks like their tea really really sweet. Fast food joints are notorious for butchering tea like this, and I think its nasty. The traditional way to make sweet tea doesn't use much sugar, and should not be nearly as sweet as Coca-Cola. I actually prefer to make a big batch of hot green tea, toss in a little bit of brown sugar, and put it in the fridge.

On a side note, have any of y'all tried that sweet tea vodka out of Charleston? I believe it just came out this past spring, and people are really getting hooked on that stuff. It's been selling like wildfire in the southeast.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:08 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post

Sweet tea is vile
Agreed. Sweet tea is just wrong. Why not just drink sugar water? Seriously, it probably tastes better. When I drink tea, I want to taste the tea leaves, not sugar. BLECH.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:16 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
Where i live in northeast Ohio restaurants serve hot tea and iced tea all year round, but i'm not sure i've ever seen any serve actual sweet tea. When i'm out with friends and they order iced tea they usually sweeten it themselves.

The other day i went through the McDonalds drive-thru and it made me think of this thread. I was looking at the drink list and sweet tea was on it. This isn't something i remember seeing before, but I suppose they are trying something new since so many people from my area vacation in the carolinas and have become addicted, i know my mom is. I myself don't care for tea at all and usually drink lemonade. Some restaurants used to not serve lemonade year round, but now almost all of them do.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:13 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Where i live in northeast Ohio restaurants serve hot tea and iced tea all year round, but i'm not sure i've ever seen any serve actual sweet tea. When i'm out with friends and they order iced tea they usually sweeten it themselves.

The other day i went through the McDonalds drive-thru and it made me think of this thread. I was looking at the drink list and sweet tea was on it. This isn't something i remember seeing before, but I suppose they are trying something new since so many people from my area vacation in the carolinas and have become addicted, i know my mom is. I myself don't care for tea at all and usually drink lemonade. Some restaurants used to not serve lemonade year round, but now almost all of them do.

the Mcdonalds here serves sweet tea too along with Popeyes,Cracker Barell and a couple BBQ places but I think its like that no matter where you go cause they are chains.

Most restaurants here bring the tea out unsweetened, some will ask if you want it sweet or un-sweet

Old 10-29-2008, 12:23 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
Some of y'all are over the top with this and act like sweet tea is poison, "Oh my God sweet tea almost stopped my heart" or "I went blind for five minutes after I drunk some sweet tea". I admit that some people go overboard when they make tea because they dump the whole bag in it. Sweet tea is just tea with sugar in it, it doesn't matter if it's only half a teaspoon or a whole bag. I agree with CortlandGirl79 lemonade's better than tea period and real juice is the best.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:32 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
Most restaurants I go to in Monroe and Shreveport ask "Sweet or unsweet?" when one orders tea. Sweet tea is not an automatic given everywhere in the deep south. I only know of one place which had only sweet tea and that was a Subway shop at a convenience store which was a surprise to me given that many people (yes, southerners) do not drink sweet tea.

I like making mine at home well steeped until it is black then I sweeten it. Sometimes I use splenda since my wife tries to avoid sugar. My biggest complaint about restaurant tea is that it is more often than not weak and watery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.