Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 04:21 AM

129 posts, read 466,218 times

Advertisements

For those people who checked out Chicago, and didn't care for it, what cities DID you like?

NYC, L.A, San Fran ?

I'm just asking this because I've been in Chicago for a few weeks so far, and it's not that I don't like it... It's just not a place I would want to live long-term for some reason...

So basically, I want to find a city that fits me better....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 04:46 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,071,636 times
What are you looking for in a city? No city is a perfect fit for everybody. Chicago, NYC, LA etc shouldn't pretend to be. If you name some of the characteristics your looking for in a city it would help. Luckily America has tons of cities that are each unique and should fit the molds of almost anybody. You should take advantage of the diversity of cities that this country offers. There's literally something for everybody.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:18 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,407,655 times
Most people who live in Chicago are raised there. As in any city, in order to like it, you have to know it's history and areas that offer a quality of life. Inner cities, well that's a whole different story, but the suburbs are much different.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:01 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
It might help to know what you don't like about Chicago or what your needs are that aren't being met by living here. For what it's worth, the main destination for Chicagoans who decide to move on is Phoenix. As of a few years ago, nearly 1/3rd of Maricopa County's population originated in the Chicago area.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:43 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,341,152 times
I have talked to hundreds of people and not one has said anything bad about Chicago asides from its harsh winters
On another thread it was discussed that Seattle is more similar and comparable to Chicago so you might want to look there.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:31 PM

304 posts, read 901,740 times
SF or LA

you wont feel land locked and if you go outside the actual cities its still diverse and not hickish

Old 07-06-2008, 07:12 PM

147 posts, read 375,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
For what it's worth, the main destination for Chicagoans who decide to move on is Phoenix. As of a few years ago, nearly 1/3rd of Maricopa County's population originated in the Chicago area.
I can believe it! There are Chicago transplants everywhere around these parts. I prefer NYC (Manhatten sp?), most of LA, and all of San Fran as a place to live over Chi-town, anyday. I found it to be a fun city to play for a few days, but I would never want to move there long term. With a rapidly sprawling metro area, and many of its own transplants moving by the thousands to places like Phoenix and Houston, I feel comfortable in saying that I am not alone.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:59 PM

500 posts, read 907,362 times
Depends where you're from. Seems that most people that I knew from the west coast hated Chicago while most east coast transplants liked it. Similar pace and vibe only cheaper. It also depends what you didn't like. If you hate the weather but like the size I'd check out LA, Houston/Dallas or Miami. I've never been to Philly but have often heard it's like a smaller Chicago and I also knew that many of the problems with Chicago you'll find in Boston. Then again, just MHO, the elitists that overpopulate these forums will arrive soon to tell you exactly where to go and why or you'll live a miserable life amongst the hicks.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:28 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,778,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona sunset View Post
I can believe it! There are Chicago transplants everywhere around these parts. I prefer NYC (Manhatten sp?), most of LA, and all of San Fran as a place to live over Chi-town, anyday. I found it to be a fun city to play for a few days, but I would never want to move there long term. With a rapidly sprawling metro area, and many of its own transplants moving by the thousands to places like Phoenix and Houston, I feel comfortable in saying that I am not alone.
Of course you're not alone.

There are people who are forced to live in Chicago due to jobs and hate it, and there are people who are forced to live in Phoenix do to jobs and hate it (like tons of my parents friends who wish they were back in Chicago for the same reasons you listed - Phoenix sprawl, unhappiness, ugliness, etc.).

If people talk dirt about a city, it's not necessarily the city - many times it's the person. For example, I would prefer Chicago and San Francisco over any other cities in the US (NYC would be third, but it's way to expensive for me).

If I have to force myself to move to Phoenix for a job, I would do it. I would be upset about living in Phoenix at first, but I'd make the best of it. It obviously wouldn't be Chicago or New York or SF, but you can find plenty to do there and keep you occupied (sightseeing, cultural events, etc.)

If you lounge in your unhappiness, of course you'll always be unhappy, because you're choosing to be.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:50 PM

147 posts, read 375,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
If you lounge in your unhappiness, of course you'll always be unhappy, because you're choosing to be.
I couldn't agree more! I wish more people had your take on the matter.

Last edited by arizona sunset; 07-06-2008 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: typo....maybe one of these days I'll learn to spell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.