Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think that the U.S.A should use both Imperial/English & Metric system on road signs?
Yes, we should have Metric included! 16 25.81%
No, keep it only imperial like now 32 51.61%
U.S should only use metric like other countries in the whole world 14 22.58%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 06:06 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
Fine, use the stupid idiot US/Imp system..... they person who found that measurment hope burn to hell!! Americans are idiots aswell
You can easily hop on a plane and head back to w/e country you came from.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:10 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post

on S CR 700 S between SR 267 and Hadley Road ( Not sure if this sign is still there)in my hometown))
I didn't think it was politically correct to call 'em "slow" children anymore...

Old 07-13-2008, 05:32 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I didn't think it was politically correct to call 'em "slow" children anymore...
I'm glad I am not the only slightly twisted mind to think the same thing when I first saw that photo. LOL

Old 07-13-2008, 02:52 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
And just to clear any mis-representations or mis-understandings up, the US does NOT use the Imperial system of measurement. Britain uses the Imperial system, while the US uses the US system of measurement. They use a lot of the same names for units of measurements, but not the same values in all cases. The US is not the lone hold-out when it comes to the metric system either, Britain still uses some Imperial measurements as does Canada, and other ex-colonies of the British Empire of days gone by.
Thank you for pointing out the differences between Colonial and Imperial! I have also pointed them out.

Canada only has to use the Colonial system in some instances because excess American products, such as ranges with Fahrenheit control knobs, are exported there to be sold. Australia (and New Zealand) measures height in centimeters. Ireland completed converting to metric signs in 2005.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:03 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You can easily hop on a plane and head back to w/e country you came from.
Does Great Britain (still) rule the United States? You're acting like it is!

Of course you can move to monarchy-loving England since you love the Anti-American Colonial/Imperial system so much. As far as I'm concerned, they can keep it since they have a Queen (obviously not a Republic). This is America, a Republic. Love it or leave it!!! It is unacceptable to use the Colonial system, a symbol of monarchy, in this Republic since this nation stands for the principle "For the people, by the people, AND of the people" (not of nobles).

Old 07-13-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Thank you for pointing out the differences between Colonial and Imperial! I have also pointed them out.
Quote:
Does Great Britain (still) rule the United States? You're acting like it is!

Of course you can move to monarchy-loving England since you love the Anti-American Colonial/Imperial system so much. As far as I'm concerned, they can keep it since they have a Queen (obviously not a Republic). This is America, a Republic. Love it or leave it!!! It is unacceptable to use the Colonial system, a symbol of monarchy, in this Republic since this nation stands for the principle "For the people, by the people, AND of the people" (not of nobles).
Um, am I missing something here or did you first say that you have pointed out the difference between the Imperial and the US system of measurements? If so, then why the ridiculous rant about Britain still ruling America? Different systems that use some of the same terminology as pointed out earlier. We do NOT use the Imperial system of measurement, but instead we use what is known as the US system of measurement.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Canada only has to use the Colonial system in some instances because excess American products, such as ranges with Fahrenheit control knobs, are exported there to be sold. Australia (and New Zealand) measures height in centimeters. Ireland completed converting to metric signs in 2005.
This is 100% wrong. After living 42 of my 44 years on this planet within 100 miles of Canada and 20 of those 42 years within 10 miles of Canada with LOTS of Canadian friends. I can assure you they do NOT get our excess/cast off products. They use a very odd hodgepodge of Imperial, Metric, and US measurements. You can still pump gas by the Imperial gallon which is larger than the US gallon, or you can pump it by the Liter (more common now). Temp outside is given in degrees Celsius, while cooking temps are still given in degrees Fahrenheit (the real reason for knobs on stoves in Canada to be in Fahrenheit.) Road signs with distances are mostly metric, but ask directions and people still give them in miles.

Using your logic, Quebec and New Brunswick must get a lot of products from France because most of their signs are in French and that is the language spoken by most people who live in these Provence's. When you travel these two places you better know a Sortie is an exit, Nord is North, Sud is South, Est is East and Quest is West. Before jumping to silly conclusions, you should really do a bit of research first.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:55 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,062,199 times
Quote:
the sign doesnt mean what you think it means. the sign alerts people to SLOW down because children often frequent the area.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
the sign doesnt mean what you think it means. the sign alerts people to SLOW down because children often frequent the area.
It's called humor, you know: misrepresent what the sign actually is saying for an alternative meaning (usually socially unacceptable) in order to produce smiles and chuckles from fellow readers. Ha, ha, ha type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:03 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Quote:
Ok, then stop speaking the Anti-American language of English.

And as for the Queen, she hardly has any power at all, its more of just a traditional role, the Parliament and Prime Minister hold all of the power, the Queen has none, get your facts straight.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.