Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you enjoy living in Hawaii?
Probably 57 45.60%
I don't think so 68 54.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:50 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I enjoy roadtripping way too much to get stuck on an island.

Same here. That's what I always thought. How would the average Hawaii family enjoy an old fashion American Road trip? They would have a to rent a car etc. Much easier to live on the mainland if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 09:09 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times
I could live there- but I could see why it wouldn't be for everyone.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:57 PM

186 posts, read 639,658 times
I think I would enjoy a vacation there, but I would have major cabin fever after a while. I would feel like I was on Lost lol. I enjoy driving all over this country and being that isolated, I would really go crazy (I think).

Old 07-09-2008, 01:48 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I would love it. But ONLY in Honolulu.

The Road Trip. Well, you can ALWAYS fly to another island and drive around. If you are in say, Michigan, taking a road trip, where are you gonna go? Ohio? Indiana? The frequency of taking a road trip to say California is probably more likely by flying from Hawaii then from Michigan.

The best about Hawaii is that it is SO gorgeous. You have everything right there. Honolulu is a great little city, you have incredible beaches. You wouldn't need to drive say 6 hours from Phoenix just to see a beach, or 6 hours from Nebraska to see a mountain in Colorado. You have it all and more in Hawaii - even active volcanoes, everything.

Downsides to Hawaii, in my opinion, is outside of OAHU, the other islands ARE quite dull and boring long-term. I could really ONLY live in OAHU. Downside to Oahu is that is where pretty much all the U.S. military personnel is stationed. Sharing a small island with tons of single guys 'out on the make' every night with the bars and clubs, and the tensions of that might be wearing if you are a single guy just looking to have a non-tension night out. (I lived in Seoul for years, so pretty familiar with competing with U.S. military guys 'out on the make', and it gets a bit tiring).

OTHERWISE...outside of that, Honolulu could be pretty cool!

Old 07-09-2008, 02:24 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Well, let's see... depending on which part of Michigan you're in, in a few hour's drive you can be in Chicago, Toronto, Niagra Falls, Ottawa, the Wisconsin/Minnesota Northwoods (or the Michigan Northwoods for that matter), Twin Cities, Algonquin Provincial Park, The Finger Lakes, any of numerous beaches on Lake Michigan, Lake Superior or Lake Erie; not to mention Michigan is a fine road-tripping state in its own right.

Within a day's drive you can be in Adirondack Park, The Smoky Mountains/Blue Ridge Mountains, Memphis, Nashville, The Catskills, New York City, Philadelphia, New England, Washington DC....

So, uhm... yeah. From a road-tripping perspective, I can certainly think of worse places for a home base than Michigan. Such as Hawaii.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:23 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I grew up in Michigan..and technically you could be in Minnesota, Finger Lakes NY, etc. However, I have never met anyone who actually did go to those places. For most Michiganders, they wouldn't conceive of taking drives to NY or MN.

They DO drive around Michigan to the beaches (and the woods, not any mountains to see)...but would you rather have Michigan beaches or Hawaii beaches? When its too cold for Michigan beaches, they DO take the long drive to Florida for...ahm..warm weather and beaches yet again.

Technically you could drive from Michigan to the other neighboring states..but what are you going to see? Just a bunch of McDonalds, Targets, Burger Kings off interstate exits. I think I'd rather be driving around Hawaii's gorgeous beaches than just looking off highway interchanges at fastfood restaurants.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:27 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I thought this was about could you or couldn't you live in Hawaii, not how many people you knew who have been to X place. MY preference for road-tripping dictates my preference, not how many people you know who have ever driven to X places from Michigan. I've driven to many of the places I listed, using Chicago as my home base. That's what I like to do on my time off. That's why I can't conceive of living in Hawaii. If all you've ever seen when visiting neighboring states is McDonald's, then you don't know how to road-trip.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:35 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
They DO drive around Michigan to the beaches (and the woods, not any mountains to see)...but would you rather have Michigan beaches or Hawaii beaches? When its too cold for Michigan beaches, they DO take the long drive to Florida for...ahm..warm weather and beaches yet again.
Michigan does have mountains, in the UP. The Porcupine Mountains are considered mountains geographically.

I would still rather live on the main land.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:41 AM

311 posts, read 1,057,997 times
It's a bit too isolated for me. Very nice... but isolated.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:07 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,924 times
I could probably take it for a month in the dead of winter, but full time on an island? No way. Especially an island 2000 miles from the mainland. I'd go stir crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.