Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is TX the best state of USA ?
YES 57 28.36%
NO 144 71.64%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 09:17 PM

611 posts, read 1,458,890 times

Advertisements

I've been to Texas more times than I can count. One of my favorite vacations ever was a trip to San Antonio about ten years ago - I love that place.

As for the original question, if I thought it was the best state in the country, I'd probably live there. It's a great place to visit, but I think the same applies for all 50 states in some form or fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 09:21 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times
No. Why not? Lame cities without vibrant urban historic cores. No skiing areas. No surfing areas. Ugly landscape. Outside of cities backwards folks. Summer heat. Bugs. Humidity. States I prefer- California, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, New York, Mass., North Carolina, Maryland, Virginia, Florida, Georgia, Nevada, Montana, Alaska, Penn., Utah, Idaho, I could go on. Texas rates very low for me. Better than Kansas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, and some other nothing states, but pretty lame. Austin is nice, San Antonio is OK, Dallas is OK, Houston blows, and the rest of the state is basically a wasteland.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:25 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
as a Texas resident in El Paso from 1993-1995 and a North Texas resident, current Dallas resident since October of 1995, with an astounding, very loud, HELL NO. I wouldn't include this state in the top 3 best states, much less the best.

Weather? It's hot everywhere in this state. Everywhere. Hot....so hot.
Scenery: you have a desert with some of the smallest mountains in the west, the flat north Texas area and the barren landscape that takes up the area between DFW and El Paso. Austin area is green, but not pretty green like some of the areas in the deep south. No beautiful tree's like you'd find in the New England area.
People: Most of my friends in this state are transplants. As I have found over the years that there is a fake hospitality amongst the locals, although, there are a few people born and bred here that I really love. I just find that most of the people here are smiling at your face, while sliding the knife in your back.

I'm sorry if i've offended anyone but thats how I see it. As to anyone wondering why i've been here as long as I have if I dislike it so much, well, it's a long story. Lets just say, i'm finally getting out.
I have 51 days left.

Hopefully next time the topic of Texas comes up, I can tell ya'll how I really feel.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:57 PM

415 posts, read 506,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I lived in Texas for a short while. I've been there too many times since then. Don't see the appeal in it.

The climate???? It's HORRIBLE!!! My goodness! Can they throw a few more coals on the fire down there??
The people only make it worse. The attitude of "we're the best!" is very sad and pathetic. They can be a bit rude and snobbish, too.
Texas is just another place on the map. Nothing more. There is nothing special about it. Think of it as South Oklahoma, or West Arkaniana, or North Mexico, or... you get the point.

Wait for it..................
May I ask what paradise you are living at now?

Old 07-09-2008, 10:26 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
The biggest appeal and draw of Texas for outsiders is that IT'S CHEAP! Quantity over quality is what TX is about. They by far have the biggest ego's of any other state it's laughable.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:27 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,919,071 times
I do know that TX has the best economy of all the states right now...it was just featured on the news.

I don't know about other factors.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:42 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,782,438 times
Quote:
We also have absolutely no problems that the other states have such as crime, lack of education, teen pregnancy and rates of preventable chronic disease. I have never visited or lived in other states, but trust me when I say they are not worth a second of your time!
Sounds like a typical Texan.

First of all, Texas has the 5th highest teen pregnancy rate out of every state in the nation. Only behind Nevada, Mississippi, New Mexico, and Arizona.

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/2006/09/12/USTPstats.pdf

Also, Texas has the 12th highest violent crime rate:

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/tables/08s0301.pdf (broken link)

Lastly Texas' public education was ranked 25th in the United States. Now obviously, these kind of rankings can be biased, but it is clearly not the best:

Smartest State 2006-2007

Maybe it would do some good to leave Texas and see the rest of the world, rather than have blind, unjustified patriotism.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:18 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,753 times
As a native, in my opinion I'd have to say "No" as well. Though for some it is the best state and for some it isn't. Best is defined by personal choices and preferences and there are no statistics that can attest to best or worst because of that.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:58 AM

415 posts, read 506,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
Sounds like a typical Texan.

First of all, Texas has the 5th highest teen pregnancy rate out of every state in the nation. Only behind Nevada, Mississippi, New Mexico, and Arizona.

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/2006/09/12/USTPstats.pdf

Also, Texas has the 12th highest violent crime rate:

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/tables/08s0301.pdf (broken link)

Lastly Texas' public education was ranked 25th in the United States. Now obviously, these kind of rankings can be biased, but it is clearly not the best:

Smartest State 2006-2007

Maybe it would do some good to leave Texas and see the rest of the world, rather than have blind, unjustified patriotism.
And vice versa, as people haven't even been to Texas and saying all of these things about it.

And just as well, I can pull up stats on California, too.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:00 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Now we are starting to see some ignoranance from a few people regarding Texas. Does Texas have problems? Yes of course it does, but you could do alot worse for quality of life (CALIFORNIA!!!!!). Texas has the best people and I love living here and it is tied for my favorite state (with New York) and I have been to every state multiple times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.