Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wal-Mart or Target?
Target 90 67.67%
Wal-Mart 25 18.80%
Neither, I hate corporate America! 18 13.53%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 09:52 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,981,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Which do you prefer and why?
WALLMART has much better prices, their return policies are more lenient, and Target has all these security people chasing everyone around whether they steal or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 09:50 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,817,690 times
Tried going to Wal-Mart last night. Don't know why. Wife thought they might have something, so I played along. After meandering around all the stuff in the aisles, and the hoards of people, and the off-leash children, we find something we might would buy. Get to the check-out area (again dodging all the stuff). EVERY lane is 6-7 deep, in spite of 9 or 10 lanes that were closed?. We put the stuff back on shelf, and left being reminded why we avoid the place like the plague it is.
Went straight to Target (across the street), and had a most pleasant experience. Clean aisles, pleasant people, no long lines. Got in, got out, no problem.
Wal-Mart was stocking shelves while we were there. They could do itself a huge favor by letting the drug stores, and the occasional grocery store, have the 24 hour biz. Stocking all those shelves in a store like that, should not be something customers should ever have to witness or be a part of.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:26 AM

21,144 posts, read 41,993,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I try to avoid both due to their practices of putting mom and pop stores out of business. Especially Wal-mart, which comes in at #4 on my axis of evil list Unfortunately there are times when money overrides ideology (i'm an actor=starving artist). In that case, even though I consider Wal-mart a far greater evil entity than Target, I will pick up what I need there over Target as I have found that Wal-Mart is generally cheaper than Target.
Wal-Mart, etc. do not put anybody out of business: it is the customers who abandon the Mom 'N' Pop places that do the deed.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Target stores are generally cleaner, less crowded and annoying, and their prices are just as low. I've lived in and been to several different places that have both stores, and this seems to be the situation across the board. I've heard from other people on this forum that Target stores can be pretty bad in some places, though. Wal-Mart is bad everywhere.
Target definitely.

In fact: I will drive past a Wal-Mart to go to an Albertsons or similar grocery store despite the latter being 5-10% more expensive-----that is how much I hate most Wal-Mart stores.

I swear; after being in a Wal-Mart (I may go in one about every 3-4 months), I feel 'unclean' in that I need to take a shower------that comment coming from a big man who resembles a cross between a cowboy and a biker.

Now: turn my ass loose in a Costco-------I (rather my American Express card) can get into lots of trouble!

Old 07-12-2008, 10:31 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
I pick Wal-Mart! I've never had a bad experience at Wal-Mart and has always found everything I needed there.

Also if Target was as cheap as Wal-Mart,they would be the same.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:37 AM

This I will say:

It seems that the Wal-Marts located in rural areas are not as bad as the suburban ones.

The one in Bullhead City, Az is not bad but I still avoided it for the most part.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:38 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,272,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Wal-Mart, etc. do not put anybody out of business: it is the customers who abandon the Mom 'N' Pop places that do the deed.
In a small town it's kinda like you have been living on scraps for years, and suddenly a buffet moves to town, so obviously you eat at the buffet despite the fact the food isn't thuroughly cooked and the employees are part of a chain gang, you disreguard that because the place has everything you want and for cheap. Why would you ever go back to the mom and pop stores that gave you the scraps? When Wal-Mart is offering a buffet? In a sense Wal-Mart took advantage of a situation that didn't have healthy competition, because they knew well in advance that smaller stores would never manage to match their prices or selection. You'd have to either be well off financially, an idiot, or very idealistic to still shop at the older stores in this situation. So in a sense I do blame Wal-Mart for not going to larger markets where they can compete with larger chain stores so there is a legitimate competition there.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:45 AM

343 posts, read 929,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Actually, Wal-Mart is responsible for putting these stores out of business. Consumers (customers) have only so much power to effect the market. They only have their individual means and can only make choices based on the budget at their disposal. Wal-Mart on the other hand has a budget which vastly surpasses any single individual, taking in hundreds of billions annually. Customers are not a single, unified entity that makes unitary decisions about purchasing. Wal-Mart IS. And for this reason, it is possible to blame wal-mart for the consequences of their business model. Even if I don't shop at Wal-Mart, Wal-Mart still has the power to impact my life. This is an undemocratic situation.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:26 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,549,919 times
Target! More clean friendly staff.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:09 PM

24,281 posts, read 25,780,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
Actually, Wal-Mart is responsible for putting these stores out of business. Consumers (customers) have only so much power to effect the market. They only have their individual means and can only make choices based on the budget at their disposal. Wal-Mart on the other hand has a budget which vastly surpasses any single individual, taking in hundreds of billions annually. Customers are not a single, unified entity that makes unitary decisions about purchasing. Wal-Mart IS. And for this reason, it is possible to blame wal-mart for the consequences of their business model. Even if I don't shop at Wal-Mart, Wal-Mart still has the power to impact my life. This is an undemocratic situation.
Sorry, but I think your wrong. My town has 2 WalMart's and no Mpm N Pop stores have closed due to WalMart being in town. The C o C in there investigation found that the Mom N Pops were floundering before WM showed up and had poor business plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.