Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 08:27 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times

Advertisements

Try Midland Tx, Lafayette La, both cities are oil hqtrs of their respective regions. Houston is another place that really has the oil and gas jobs. I am a former geologist caught in the bust of the mid 80's. Don't know the demand for these anymore, but there should be some.

Yes, a lot of the best positions require masters or better. I am only a BS myself, but did work in oil and gas in Louisiana (which for many years was the number 2 state in production) Don't know where we rank now, but still it is a major industry here. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 09:42 PM

101 posts, read 295,911 times
Smile I'd say Texas

Look at the oil companies. Here in Houston Shell is looking for geologist to survey the oil shale in Colorado. I heard....

Old 07-10-2008, 09:43 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
When I think of quarrying I think of Upstate NY, Pennsylvania, West Virginia. Lots of that type of activity happening there. I don't know much about the industry, but U.S. Gypsum is certainly one of the larger companies on the East Coast. I see their trucks and some of their facilities in many parts of the region. Tilcon also has a lot of facilities around.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:43 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,919,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josehernandez017 View Post
Look at the oil companies. Here in Houston Shell is looking for geologist to survey the oil shale in Colorado. I heard....
I was actually about recommend Houston. I know that NASA uses geologists quite a bit. Landing a job there may be tough, but it would be pretty amazing.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:47 AM

4 posts, read 42,345 times
Wow--I didn't expect so many responses so quickly. Thanks for all the advice.

That said, I do wish my husband had gone to school for Civil Engineering. One of the biggest job barriers for him is that because he did not study hydrogeology and he does not have an interest in petroleum exploration (a dying field anyway), a civil engineer is qualified to do the same things he can and more...he has a lot of experience with CAD software and ArcGIS, but most of those jobs are for civil engineers and architechts. He has some interest in remediation, but the last job he had doing that was pretty terrible...

Thank you again for all the posts!

Old 07-11-2008, 10:13 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimstol View Post

That said, I do wish my husband had gone to school for Civil Engineering. One of the biggest job barriers for him is that because he did not study hydrogeology and he does not have an interest in petroleum exploration (a dying field anyway), a civil engineer is qualified to do the same things he can and more...he has a lot of experience with CAD software and ArcGIS, but most of those jobs are for civil engineers and architechts. He has some interest in remediation, but the last job he had doing that was pretty terrible...

If he's actually good at ArcGIS then a job working with county/city planning may well be a possibility. Geologists tend to be an outdoor breed (I say that as one) and working in a cubicle 8-5 often isn't our thing.

Civil Engineers have a much better "union" than geologists, and the ability to stamp things is extremely important for insurance liability. There are several school which have an Engineering Geology program in conjunction with a state license that actually gives an Engineering Geologist some of the same abilities.

Look into the AEG:
Home - Association of Environmental & Engineering Geologists (http://www.aegweb.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1 - broken link)

Old 07-11-2008, 11:00 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
Quote:

Petroleum exploration is hardly a dying field as of late. Some activity like we haven't seen in years is going on in this part of the world. Of course the media won't brodcast the good news about energy; only the negative. Just thought I would set the record straight.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:20 PM

10 posts, read 20,499 times
Quote:
Hello,

My husband is currently employed as a Geologist for a mid-size quarrying company. He has a B.S. and 3 years of experience. He commutes 1.5 hours each way every day to get to work. The city that the company is located in is an industrial town (low-income, not v. good schools, etc.) and we don't want to move there. When he has searched for other jobs, there really aren't any for a geologist in our state (Iowa). We are young and adventurous and willing to move pretty much anywhere in the U.S., as long as the town is comfortable and safe, with good schools for our daughter. Does anyone know of a state with a lot of jobs for geologists, or have any job leads for a mid-size town with a quarrying company? Thank you!
If you're truly adventurous and willing to make lots of $$$, head to the western U.S. (Alaska, Colorado, California,etc.). Mining and energy companies are looking for geologists so they can give them lotsa cash and work them many long hours. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.