Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 09:29 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COSMO1 View Post
I'm not surprised Houston is at top. I was just there for a wedding and every other license plate seemed like was from an out-of-state (particularly California, Illinois and NJ)

So NYC is the only city in the East Coast that's growing? NYC's spot and its high growth rate is very impressive since it's a very expensive place.

I'm happy for New Orleans!
Well NYC's growth rate isn't very high (0.3%). It ranks high in the list of growth by numbers because 0.3 percent of over 8 million equals a large number of people. Most east coast cities are growing at similarly low rates or even declining because they're built out. Generally speaking, east coast cities tend to be small geographically so they do not include faster growing suburban-like areas within city bounds. Most downtowns have been seeing rebirths and population growth, but in all too many cases that growth in the core doesn't make up for continued losses in other urban neighborhoods that are still decaying.

Jersey City is an example of this. People are surprised to see such modest population growth in spite of thousands upon thousands of new housing units constructed and occupied downtown in the past few years. BUT, many neighborhoods outside of downtown continue to deterriorate and lose population, so city-wide the population figure is quite stagnant. Also, household sizes are getting smaller. So if you have 500 units on a block in 1960 and the avg household size was 3.9, the population was 1,950. In 2000 the avg household size was 2.3, in which case (assuming no new housing units) the same block would house only 1,150 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 09:39 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
The big three are getting bigger (NYC, LA, Chicago), while Houston seems to be swelling. I'm curious to see how Houston does next year as it was hit hard by the housing crisis. We will have to see.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:42 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,919,071 times
I don't know...Texas is one of the few states where the economy is continuing to thrive. It actually made national news other day...just how strong the economy is there.

I see a super-power in the making. CA's economic title as "the most important state" may be coming to an end in the next decade. Who knows?

Old 07-10-2008, 09:46 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,959,271 times
I'm surprised Atlanta was not in the top 5. The town I used to live in (McDonough, GA), which is 35 miles South of ATL, doubled in Population since 2000, I find that interesting.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:03 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Yes it was in the newspaper link I provided. But thanks for bringing up Omaha again. I think you did it in record time this time.

Omaha is still the country's 42nd largest city (no change from last year) while Lincoln moved up a spot and is now the country's 73rd largest city, surpassing Saint Petersburg FL which is losing population.
Actually, we just recently annexed 9,600, so we are 40th now.
I also just looked at your link, which doesn't included the 8,300 people from a city we officially annexed in 2005 (there was a long court battle that dragged into 2007 but it was over by the estimate.)

Old 07-10-2008, 10:55 PM

415 posts, read 506,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
The big three are getting bigger (NYC, LA, Chicago), while Houston seems to be swelling. I'm curious to see how Houston does next year as it was hit hard by the housing crisis. We will have to see.
Houston wasn't hit hard at all with the housing crisis. Also, most of the growth in Houston isn't from suburban communities. There isn't much land left in Houston's city limits. Most of Houston's growth came from densification and redevelopment.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:36 PM

167 posts, read 492,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I don't know...Texas is one of the few states where the economy is continuing to thrive. It actually made national news other day...just how strong the economy is there.

I see a super-power in the making. CA's economic title as "the most important state" may be coming to an end in the next decade. Who knows?
I don't think any state will ever take over CA's status as the nation's #1 economy.

TX: oil, wood, chemicals.

CA: crappy Will Ferrell movies that get recycled every few months that mindless drones go to see both in the U.S. and the world.

No contest.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:54 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
I'm surprised Atlanta was not in the top 5. The town I used to live in (McDonough, GA), which is 35 miles South of ATL, doubled in Population since 2000, I find that interesting.
That particular ranking has Atlanta lower because in terms of numerical growth its smaller due to its population. But as a percentage of its current population it is at the top.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:48 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
I am so glad for N.O.!

Old 07-11-2008, 04:50 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Wow we actually lost population! I am suprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.