Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should names and locations of sex offenders be made public?
Yes. They are special menaces to society 20 51.28%
Yes, but only the ones that abuse young children or are convicted of violent rape. 13 33.33%
No, if they have served their time, they have served their debt to society. 4 10.26%
No, not unless murderers and other violent criminals are treated the same way. 5 12.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 07:11 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,798,116 times

Advertisements

I agree, I would MUCH rather know about a burglar in my neighborhood, but just think about it, "registered burglar", not very sensational sounding at all, burglaries are sooooo 80s! Sex offenders are all the rage in the media. Don't get me wrong, any form of violent or theft related crime is horrible, but some just "sound worse" than others...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 07:44 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,477,769 times
I had to go with the "children and violent" Option.

I have a friend that has a son that when he was 17 and his gf was 16, they let things get out of hand and got pregnant. Well her daddy decided the bf wasn't good enough for his little "angel" and had the boy arrested for statutory rape and he had to register as a child molester. Fast forward 5 years...they are married and guess what he gets harassed on a daily basis because of this charge. He also legally can't be around his own children.

So not every story is cut and dry.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:57 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,402,941 times
As a mother of three children, I think the names and locations of sex offenders has been helpful in California for knowing who really lives on your street. For parents that do live in communities with sex offenders, it is important for keeping an extra eye on your child. Imagine never knowing your neighbor had committed this type of crime!

Also, I would let my car get stolen 100 times before I risked my child playing in the street in front of a sex offenders house and not even know about it. California has a map system from Megan's Law showing where sex offenders live:
Search California Registered Sex Offenders- California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

I'm not so sure there should be tons of restrictions with work and stuff, but I only think it is fair to protect the innocent citizens and the community with at least the knowledge of who is living in their neighborhood.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:10 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,982,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I agree, I would MUCH rather know about a burglar in my neighborhood, but just think about it, "registered burglar", not very sensational sounding at all, burglaries are sooooo 80s! Sex offenders are all the rage in the media. Don't get me wrong, any form of violent or theft related crime is horrible, but some just "sound worse" than others...
If you are a father, I wonder how you may feel if someone abuse your two-year-old sexually!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-11-2008, 09:12 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,798,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
If you are a father, I wonder how you may feel if someone abuse your two-year-old sexually!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Of course it would be different, but when I was in Atlanta I felt pretty violated when someone felt the need to enter my car for a pack of gum. Burglars affect ALL PEOPLE. I'm not saying that the names of violent rapists or child rapists should NOT be released, but what I AM saying is that burglars cause an almost ubiquitous level of damage to our society and also deserve to be labeled that way for life in ADDITION to sex offenders. ANYONE can have their home burglarized and you know you would feel pretty pissed and violated if you did. Also, some burglars break in with the intention of a sexual crime...sometimes burglars break in just to sniff underwear...

Old 07-11-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I'm more interested in burglars and car thieves.
NO personal attacks!!!

Last edited by Crew Chief; 07-12-2008 at 05:04 AM.. Reason: Personal attacks not allowed

Old 07-11-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Of course it would be different, but when I was in Atlanta I felt pretty violated when someone felt the need to enter my car for a pack of gum. Burglars affect ALL PEOPLE. I'm not saying that the names of violent rapists or child rapists should NOT be released, but what I AM saying is that burglars cause an almost ubiquitous level of damage to our society and also deserve to be labeled that way for life in ADDITION to sex offenders. ANYONE can have their home burglarized and you know you would feel pretty pissed and violated if you did. Also, some burglars break in with the intention of a sexual crime...sometimes burglars break in just to sniff underwear...
My house has already been burglarized and multitude of property was stolen, but it makes me feel better now, that you have changed your stance.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert29 View Post
Should names and locations of sex offenders be made public?
DEFINITELY SO, pedophiles are miscreants of society, and therefore, their whereabouts need to be monitored and made public. The State of Florida, having one of the highest sex offenders rate in the nation, makes all this information public in the internet. This is an excellent idea, for all these tourist that are travelling there, from many other countries, that otherwise would be in the dark and allow their little children to wander freely. Recently, I took a trip to Davenport, Florida, near Disney, and before I went to my rented house, I checked all the pedophiles in the neighborhood, and found out two of them, less than a mile from where I was. That did not stop me from going, but made me be more alert and protect my children even more. Besides we travel with this huge German Shepherd every where we go........and it is very protective of all of us!

Old 07-11-2008, 10:47 PM

27 posts, read 65,698 times
Well as a father of course a want to know if a sexuall predator lives next door. As far as the thiefs go I would help them load the stuff before i would want a child to endure a life time of pain and emotional distress. Most predators have been abused themselves. But frankly I thin casteration would be a great punishment for the child molestors. Cut their balls off and a make necklace for them to wear.A big tattoo on the forhead. Who cares the only right they need is the right to die. And for the people on here that take up for them makes me think youj might be one yourselves.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:21 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,652,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaemployeenky View Post
Well as a father of course a want to know if a sexuall predator lives next door. As far as the thiefs go I would help them load the stuff before i would want a child to endure a life time of pain and emotional distress. Most predators have been abused themselves. But frankly I thin casteration would be a great punishment for the child molestors. Cut their balls off and a make necklace for them to wear.A big tattoo on the forhead. Who cares the only right they need is the right to die. And for the people on here that take up for them makes me think youj might be one yourselves.

Why so angry? You were making some sense in a low-rent sort of fashion until the last sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.