Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City(Cities) is/are Most Overhyped on This Forum? Why?
Atlanta, GA 30 16.76%
Charlotte, NC 20 11.17%
Chicago, IL 36 20.11%
Des Moines, IA 4 2.23%
Houston, TX 38 21.23%
Los Angeles, CA 23 12.85%
Louisville, KY 6 3.35%
New York City, NY 29 16.20%
Oil City, PA 11 6.15%
Omaha, NE 52 29.05%
Raleigh/Durham, NC 8 4.47%
Saint Louis, MO 1 0.56%
Scranton, PA 25 13.97%
Other (Please Specify Below) 7 3.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 06:47 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times

Advertisements

It is kind of funny that 3 of the great world cities are 2 3 and 4 in the poll here. I think it is jealousy of the pride NYC Chicago and Houston residents have in our world class cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 07:19 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Default Shedding A Little Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
That was the city where we had the first, and so far only, City-Data conference. We should try to have another one this year or next.
Well, thanks, Lucidus. Glad we got that straightened out.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:05 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I could also add San Diego to the list of overhyped cities on this forum. Why? Because I never met a person with class there, polluted, wildfires every year, sprawl, crappy food, no nightlife, earthquakes. I mean really what is there to like about it unless you are a girlie man surfer or valley girl?
Never met a person with class in all of San Diego? Um, ok. Pollution? Compared to Houston. Allright. Crappy food? I agree it's not NYC, but it isn't bad by any stretch of the miagination. Girlie man surfer? Huh? Valley girl? That's LA. San Diego has more in common with Denver than it has with LA.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:32 PM

938 posts, read 4,093,697 times
It's a double edged sword, alot of people complain about new-age sprawl cities such as Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Raleigh, Charlotte, etc (usually moans about lack of mass transit/density/culture)..but ALOT of people do hype these places up too.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:35 PM

304 posts, read 904,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Never met a person with class in all of San Diego? Um, ok. Pollution? Compared to Houston. Allright. Crappy food? I agree it's not NYC, but it isn't bad by any stretch of the miagination. Girlie man surfer? Huh? Valley girl? That's LA. San Diego has more in common with Denver than it has with LA.
sweetclimbers just a troll that hates on anything in california...dont mind her

this poll exposes no one but you boosters give a rats ass about chicago or houston

Old 07-16-2008, 12:33 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
sweetclimbers just a troll that hates on anything in california...dont mind her

this poll exposes no one but you boosters give a rats ass about chicago or houston

And you're a troll that hates anything but California. Give them a break.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:49 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I could also add San Diego to the list of overhyped cities on this forum. Why? Because I never met a person with class there, polluted, wildfires every year, sprawl, crappy food, no nightlife, earthquakes. I mean really what is there to like about it unless you are a girlie man surfer or valley girl?
What a bitter and retarded comment. How the hell can you complain about San Diego's sprawl and pollution when you live in HOUSTON, the most polluted and sprawled out city after Los Angeles. Despite having NO mountains and plentiful rainfall Houston has some of the worst air quality in the nation. I can't believe anyone from Houston would actually complain about the sprawl of another city, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Earthquakes??? when was the last time San Diego had a major earthquake? when was the last time someone died from an earthquake in SD? the answer: NEVER. SD is hundreds of miles away from the San Andreas fault unlike LA and SF.

No nightlife? does Houston even have anything comparable to the Gaslamp or Pacific Beach?

Yes we have some wildfires but hurricanes and tropical storms do a hell of lot more damage to Houston than wildfires do to San Diego. Take a look at the damage of both the 2003 and 2007 wildfires in San Diego County then compare that to Tropical Storm Allison in 2001. Far MORE homes were damaged and more people died from Allison than BOTH of SD's wildfires combined. Allison did a lot more damage to Houston than the 2003 and 2007 wildfires did to San Diego.
Tropical Storm Allison - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is there to like about Houston unless you like being stuck indoors b/c of the stifling heat and humidity, stuck in traffic, and love strip malls. Houston's greatest attribute is that it's CHEAP, as it should be. Quantity over quality, that is what Houston is about.

Last edited by sav858; 07-16-2008 at 01:04 AM..

Old 07-16-2008, 06:11 AM

415 posts, read 506,261 times
I'm thinking Houston gets a lot of votes from defending. People don't know a thing about this city. The latest exhibit, sav858.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What a bitter and retarded comment. How the hell can you complain about San Diego's sprawl and pollution when you live in HOUSTON, the most polluted and sprawled out city after Los Angeles. Despite having NO mountains and plentiful rainfall Houston has some of the worst air quality in the nation. I can't believe anyone from Houston would actually complain about the sprawl of another city, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
Uh...no. Houston is not the most polluted and sprawled out city after Los Angeles. Let's check the stats/facts, and not by your pure opinion:

Pollution: City Mayors: The most polluted US cities

Sprawled: USA Urbanized Areas: 2000 Ranked by Population(465 Areas)

Quote:
No nightlife? does Houston even have anything comparable to the Gaslamp or Pacific Beach?
First, Gaslamp is just a tourist trap. Second, yes Houston does. Downtown and Richmond for starters. Then you have some sprinkled throughout the Inner Loop.

Quote:
Yes we have some wildfires but hurricanes and tropical storms do a hell of lot more damage to Houston than wildfires do to San Diego. Take a look at the damage of both the 2003 and 2007 wildfires in San Diego County then compare that to Tropical Storm Allison in 2001. Far MORE homes were damaged and more people died from Allison than BOTH of SD's wildfires combined. Allison did a lot more damage to Houston than the 2003 and 2007 wildfires did to San Diego.
Yeah, because Houston is built up in the city and not on top of mountains, so of course more damage would have been done. Houston is the larger and more diverse city. All you have recently is Allison though. Rita didn't hit the Houston area, and instead, Beaumont, Texas.

Quote:
What is there to like about Houston unless you like being stuck indoors b/c of the stifling heat and humidity, stuck in traffic, and love strip malls. Houston's greatest attribute is that it's CHEAP, as it should be. Quantity over quality, that is what Houston is about.
You don't know a thing about Houston.

There is plenty to do in Houston. For example, the Barker Resevouir is home to the sixth largest city park in the nation. Then you have parks like Memorial Park, Hermann Park in the Museum District, Discovery Green in Downtown, and a lot of others. Then down by the bay, you have the third largest concentration of pleasure boats in the nation near Clear Lake. Add to that, you have Kemah and its attractions, as well as Galveston and the coast.

Then, you have to arts/museums/culture of Houston. Then in 2012, a 500-acre theme park is opening up in the woods in the Houston suburb of New Caney. You already have waterparks like Schlitterbahn in Galveston, etc.

Oh yeah, then you can go shopping at places like The Galleria.

Speak what you know, not what you think you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
And you're a troll that hates anything but California. Give them a break.
As is JakeDog.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:39 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post

Uh...no. Houston is not the most polluted and sprawled out city after Los Angeles. Let's check the stats/facts, and not by your pure opinion:

Pollution: City Mayors: The most polluted US cities
Ok it's the 4th most polluted city for ozone, nothing to brag about.
Thanks for proving my point that it is sprawled out. It has a lower population density than most of the metro areas listed above it and is bigger than several of them despite Houston's lower population. LA is only 400 sq miles larger yet has 3x the population.
Quote:
First, Gaslamp is just a tourist trap. Second, yes Houston does. Downtown and Richmond for starters. Then you have some sprinkled throughout the Inner Loop.
not really but I wouldn't expect someone who can't even get into a bar or club to know anything about nightlife.
Quote:
Yeah, because Houston is built up in the city and not on top of mountains, so of course more damage would have been done. Houston is the larger and more diverse city. All you have recently is Allison though. Rita didn't hit the Houston area, and instead, Beaumont, Texas.
Yeah Houston is in a swamp and gets hit by hurricanes and tropical storms, which CA does not get. And despite Rita not actually hitting Houston 31 deaths still occurred from the evacuation and cleanup. That is so pathetic, you didn't even get hit by the storm and still had deaths.
Quote:
You don't know a thing about Houston.

There is plenty to do in Houston. For example, the Barker Resevouir is home to the sixth largest city park in the nation. Then you have parks like Memorial Park, Hermann Park in the Museum District, Discovery Green in Downtown, and a lot of others. Then down by the bay, you have the third largest concentration of pleasure boats in the nation near Clear Lake. Add to that, you have Kemah and its attractions, as well as Galveston and the coast.

Then, you have to arts/museums/culture of Houston. Then in 2012, a 500-acre theme park is opening up in the woods in the Houston suburb of New Caney. You already have waterparks like Schlitterbahn in Galveston, etc.
oh my god, you have lakes and parks!! wow, that makes Houston the only place in the country with those. And you have arts, culture, and museums just like every other big city, big deal..... and waterparks too, gee I bet no other city has waterparks. It's so funny and pathetic to see people from Houston try to boast about the crap they have that pretty much most major cities have, there is nothing special or unique about any of that crap you listed.

Quote:

Oh yeah, then you can go shopping at places like The Galleria.
WOW, you have malls too???!! I'm so impressed. who cares about some stupid mall? but you're a teenager and there is probably nothing else to do in Houston, especially outside with all the heat and humidity, so I guess malls is a big deal to you and others in Houston.

Quote:
Speak what you know, not what you think you know.
pretty ironic coming from someone who doesn't know the differences in how to measure population growth.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:51 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Thumbs down Here we go, more Houston-bashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What a bitter and retarded comment.

Bitter and retarded? You're one to talk.

Some of you guys in southern Cal appear to be completely clueless about Houston. Obviously never lived in Houston, and obviously have very little experience in Houston.

I could name every negative about San Diego or southern Cal, name zero positives, and would you consider that fair? Because that's all you guys do in regards to Houston. It boggles the mind...

Be fair about your judgements, then maybe we'll take you seriously.

And I won't be surprised to see more negative talk about San Diego, because by pushing the buttons of the Houston people (in unfair bashing of the city) you're really just asking for it and shouldn't be the least bit surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.