Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City(Cities) is/are Most Overhyped on This Forum? Why?
Atlanta, GA 30 16.76%
Charlotte, NC 20 11.17%
Chicago, IL 36 20.11%
Des Moines, IA 4 2.23%
Houston, TX 38 21.23%
Los Angeles, CA 23 12.85%
Louisville, KY 6 3.35%
New York City, NY 29 16.20%
Oil City, PA 11 6.15%
Omaha, NE 52 29.05%
Raleigh/Durham, NC 8 4.47%
Saint Louis, MO 1 0.56%
Scranton, PA 25 13.97%
Other (Please Specify Below) 7 3.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:52 AM

343 posts, read 932,279 times

Advertisements

I think I'll credit this poll for slowing down the hype of some of the cities. Well done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 12:02 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Bitter and retarded? You're one to talk.

Some of you guys in southern Cal appear to be completely clueless about Houston. Obviously never lived in Houston, and obviously have very little experience in Houston.

I could name every negative about San Diego or southern Cal, name zero positives, and would you consider that fair? Because that's all you guys do in regards to Houston. It boggles the mind...

Be fair about your judgements, then maybe we'll take you seriously.

And I won't be surprised to see more negative talk about San Diego, because by pushing the buttons of the Houston people (in unfair bashing of the city) you're really just asking for it and shouldn't be the least bit surprised.
So apparently it's okay for someone to start bashing my city but not for me to come and defend it?????? In case you didn't notice I didn't just start bashing Houston for no reason. Sweetclimber didn't name any positives about San Diego either and even made up some of the negatives, like earthquakes. So it that fair somehow? talk about a DOUBLE STANDARD! Maybe if people in Houston don't want their city bashed then they shouldn't do the same to others, take a look in the mirror pal.

and btw I did name one positive, IT's CHEAP!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:19 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And you have arts, culture, and museums just like every other big city, big deal..... It's so funny and pathetic to see people from Houston try to boast about the crap they have that pretty much most major cities have, there is nothing special or unique about any of that crap you listed.
It is special when it has the 2nd largest theatre district after NYC's Broadway; has the most visited natural science museum in the country; ranks 3rd in the country in fine arts museum space; attracts traveling exhibits from overseas that only a handful of cities do. I could go on. Point is as far as culture/arts, Houston has more and higher quality than many other major cities. Add a Texas flair to that, and it is very unique. And certainly better than the dump you and other detractors would like to make it out to be.

Here's more (I realize it's Wikipedia but I think this could all be verified)

Houston, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These may also be of interest to all you haters:

Top 10 underrated U.S. cities - US and Canada - MSNBC.com

America's best restaurant cities - ForbesTraveler.com

GaWC - Inventory of World Cities

Polishing Houston's image a matter of pride - Houston Business Journal:

"it appears as though Houston is better understood by the international community than by Americans who take their impressions of the city from television programs, movies, advertisements and the national media, which seems intent on portraying Houston as a graceless coastal plain where people are still tying up their horses to hitching posts downtown."

"Houston is one of only three American cities with standing, year-round symphony, opera and ballet. Even if this sort of entertainment is not your cup of tea, it's nice to know it's there if you want it."

"Esquire magazine and The Wine Spectator perennially name Houston as the fourth best restaurant city in the nation, rating ahead of cities such as Boston, Washington, New Orleans, Dallas, and Los Angeles, and just behind New York, San Francisco and Chicago."

"Only three cities in North America rank ahead of Houston in terms of the volume (square footage) of fine arts museum space, and the city ranks second in the nation with respect to the number of theaters and performance stages for dramatic plays and other forms of live entertainment."

"Houston boasts the full complement of professional sports franchises, and is home to fine universities where Nobel Prize and Pulitzer Prize winners choose to teach."

"The world's largest medical center and NASA make significant contributions to the space and medical sciences from their locations in Houston."

"Other than New York, no city in the United States is home to the world headquarters of more Fortune 500 companies than Houston."

"How is it that none of this gets out? Why is it that the rodeo is one of the first things that people think of when Houston comes to mind?"

Old 07-16-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
So apparently it's okay for someone to start bashing my city but not for me to come and defend it?????? In case you didn't notice I didn't just start bashing Houston for no reason. Sweetclimber didn't name any positives about San Diego either and even made up some of the negatives, like earthquakes. So it that fair somehow? talk about a DOUBLE STANDARD! Maybe if people in Houston don't want their city bashed then they shouldn't do the same to others, take a look in the mirror pal.

and btw I did name one positive, IT's CHEAP!
Why return bashing with more bashing? It goes nowhere.

Last time I checked, Jakedog and a few others were bashing Houston here first. I'm not surprised it gets a reaction. But why make it worse yourself?

I have yet to bash San Diego/southern Cal.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
So apparently it's okay for someone to start bashing my city but not for me to come and defend it??????:
Which is EXACTLY what Houstonians feel they have to do. All the time. Thus... I don't consider it "overhype" on this forum - I consider it correcting outsiders on their exaggerations, negativity, bias, ignorance, and failure to acknowledge the vast number of positives. Houstonians are pointing out how the city really is, and they feel passionate about it. What's wrong with that? If the city actually sucked, like so many outsiders would like to think, we wouldn't bother.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:40 PM

^^ I seriously could care less about arts/culture/ballets/operas etc..... Most people don't even attend that stuff, but i guess it's nice for that small group of people who want to. Some museums are cool but still don't go that often. Good food and restaurants can be found in most major cities, either way I don't care b/c I don't go out and eat expensive dinners often anyways. I like nice scenery and great weather so I can be outside, two things that Houston doesn't have.

Honestly I could care less about Houston, it's seems like a nice city to me with a lot of things going on but none of it really interests me at all. I'm sure it's special or whatever in TX and it's not a bad city overall, but it just doesn't appeal to me, mainly for it's horrible weather and lack of scenery. I don't care what others posters did before me, I saw a comment that was BS so I responded to it. If you don't like that well that's a personal problem and I could care less.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:54 PM

So I just went though the previous posts. All Jakedog said was "Houston" and nothing else but you got all bent out of shape just b/c he mentioned it. How is typing the word "Houston" bashing it? Get over the fact that some people don't care or give a rats a*s about Houston, people in TX have wayyy to much pride and big ego's. Some people just don't like or care for the city and think it's overrated. If some people think San Diego is overrated then fine and I could care less why they feel that way, but if they start bashing it then I'll respond. It seems to bother you the fact that some people think Houston is overrated, get over it.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
^^ I seriously could care less about arts/culture/ballets/operas etc.....
I like nice scenery and great weather so I can be outside, two things that Houston doesn't have.
That's fine if you don't care about the culture - I only brought it up because you said Houston's culture was no better than anywhere else. So I pointed out that's not true.

Scenery and weather are a little subjective. Having no winters is considered by many to be good weather. The only time Houston has bad weather would be in the height of summer... the rest of the year outdoor recreation is easy. Why the idea that you have to stay inside in the a/c all year long? That's just wrong. There is a reason Houston ranks 3rd in the country in number of pleasure boats (probably no one knew that either.) And Houston is very green with lots of large trees and lush scenery. There is also waterfront on the southeast side. Not what everyone is looking for, but certainly better than the barren strip-mall wasteland some make it out to be.

http://www.careavan.net/images/Downtown-Houston.jpg

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI...ck_840-229.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3082/2374507648_6d1c8f5835.jpg?v=0 (broken link)

http://www.bcm.edu/molvir/images/houston/south-blvd.jpg (broken link)

http://www.cottageneighborhood.com/Portals/0/blogphotos/treelined.jpg (broken link)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1011/...0c5dea.jpg?v=0

//pics4.city-data.com/cpicc/cfiles6135.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...arkHouston.JPG

http://k53.pbase.com/u33/lwh/large/21511110.KemahWaterfront001.jpg (broken link)

//pics4.city-data.com/cpicc/cfiles4218.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/80/27...3c2ba8.jpg?v=0

Old 07-16-2008, 01:13 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,889,940 times
^^^^ This kinda makes me glad my city doesn't get noticed that much.

Guys... they're just cities.... nothing to get too worked up about.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
So I just went though the previous posts. All Jakedog said was "Houston" and nothing else but you got all bent out of shape just b/c he mentioned it. How is typing the word "Houston" bashing it?
Look at his post history and you'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.