Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 05:02 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,223,852 times

Advertisements

This is a list of best medical schools, not sure how that plays in with "best medical cities" as per OP, if at all.

Research Rankings - Best Medical Schools - Graduate Schools - Education - US News

I was surprised to see UofM - Ann Arbor so high on the list as well as University of Iowa, both ranked higher than UCI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 09:58 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Nope, I used to be employed with the tourism bureau tho ... I just recognize that Cleveland has such fantastic attributes and amenities that are secondary to none.
With the exception of the major cities in the country...Cleveland's not a bad city, but I shouldn't be surprised whatsoever that you were employed by the tourism bureau. I understand pride/hometown bias, but you take it to the next level. You try to make it sound like Cleveland is on par with New York City haha.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:06 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,254,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
With the exception of the major cities in the country...Cleveland's not a bad city, but I shouldn't be surprised whatsoever that you were employed by the tourism bureau. I understand pride/hometown bias, but you take it to the next level. You try to make it sound like Cleveland is on par with New York City haha.

Well ... I do recognize that Cleveland isn't New York City by any stretch of the imagination ... and I'm glad that's the case. ( LOL )

I love Cleveland for the city that it has been ... and for the city it is this very day.
It's a beautiful and viable metropolis that holds all of the amenities and merits of other "esteemed" cities like ... Chicago, Philly, NYC ... even Boston.

We have sooooooooooo much to celebrate here in Cleveland, I will always proclaim these "truths"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgwVM...eature=related

Old 10-26-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Well ... I do recognize that Cleveland isn't New York City by any stretch of the imagination ... and I'm glad that's the case. ( LOL )

I love Cleveland for the city that it has been ... and for the city it is this very day.
It's a beautiful and viable metropolis that holds all of the amenities and merits of other "esteemed" cities like ... Chicago, Philly, NYC ... even Boston.

We have sooooooooooo much to celebrate here in Cleveland, I will always proclaim these "truths"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgwVM...eature=related
I know Cleveland has some great museums, playhouses, and orchestras...but other than that I can't really think of an area where it can stack up to the other major cities.

The Cleveland Clinic is fantastic, but Cleveland as a whole isn't considered a major live sciences center.

I don't think ill of Cleveland...I think it's just a bit of a stretch to compare it to some of the cities you have mentioned. If Cleveland is so fantastic, why is it losing population? Is everyone so blind to what the city offers, or are you just not admitting to some of the problems the city might have? Cities like San Francisco, New York City, Washington DC and Boston are all absurdly expensive at times, yet they continue to grow...

Old 10-26-2010, 10:27 AM

976 posts, read 2,242,569 times
cleveland is not a first-tier city, but it does have infrastructure that keeps it a major player in many categories. unfortunately the economy has not been kind to cleveland, as it is an aging industrial city that is struggling with obsolescence. however, it continues to offer a very high quality of life at a low cost of living. i can see how clevelanders would be proud if their city. it, like so many older midwest cities, is extremely underappreciated in the psyche of most americans. it really is a fine city.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:29 AM

I can accept the pride...it's the comparison to major metros like NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Boston that makes me raise an eyebrow.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:39 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,277,582 times
Quote:
Nope, I used to be employed with the tourism bureau tho ... I just recognize that Cleveland has such fantastic attributes and amenities that are secondary to none.
Cleveland should be a top tier city considering that it has the medical facilities, a top 10 world orchestra, and many other things.

Why isn't it?

Old 10-26-2010, 10:46 AM

976 posts, read 2,242,569 times
Quote:
I can accept the pride...it's the comparison to major metros like NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Boston that makes me raise an eyebrow.
well places like philadelphia, boston and chicago are routinely compared with new york, and i don't see how that is any more acceptable. there is a bigger disparity between those cities and new york than there is between those cities and cleveland. look at metro population, for one.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
well places like philadelphia, boston and chicago are routinely compared with new york, and i don't see how that is any more acceptable. there is a bigger disparity between those cities and new york than there is between those cities and cleveland. look at metro population, for one.
Well John is also comparing Cleveland to New York...

But I don't think there is really ever a comparison between those cities in New York? The only one I can really think of is skyline comparisons between Chicago and New York (which are appropriate)...and there was a comparison of Chicago & New York's downtown areas.

Other than that I haven't seen the comparisons you're talking about...

Old 10-26-2010, 05:43 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,254,520 times
Quote:
I know Cleveland has some great museums, playhouses, and orchestras...but other than that I can't really think of an area where it can stack up to the other major cities.

The Cleveland Clinic is fantastic, but Cleveland as a whole isn't considered a major live sciences center.

I don't think ill of Cleveland...I think it's just a bit of a stretch to compare it to some of the cities you have mentioned. If Cleveland is so fantastic, why is it losing population? Is everyone so blind to what the city offers, or are you just not admitting to some of the problems the city might have? Cities like San Francisco, New York City, Washington DC and Boston are all absurdly expensive at times, yet they continue to grow...

The primary reason that Cleveland has continued to bleed population is mainly because it was always an industrial powerhouse type of city that had a reliance upon factories ... then when the economy began to change dramatically and companies began shifting more towards the high tech industry, Cleveland had a later start ... with a "transitional phase" away from heavy industry.

The result ... people were unable to locate sustainable employment and thus was the beginning of a mass exodus of population away from Cleveland. To be accurate, there were also racial tensions in the 1960s that also created what has been referred to as "white flight", where caucasians abandoned the inner city and escaped to the surrounding suburbs, as has been witnessed in other large cities such as Detroit, Chicago and Philadelphia.

The Cleveland of "today" is dramatically different from what it was 30, 10, 5 and even 3 years ago ... the population "has now begun to stabilize" and the city and region are experiencing a healthy building boom ... major construction projects are changing the landscape of our proud city. Cleveland is also a major leader in the emerging field of biosciences ...

Cleveland can "very much" stand in good company with the likes of New York City, Chicago or Philadelphia ...

We have museums that are secondary to none, top knotch medical institutions that are world renowned ... and spacious, opulent suburbs, some of which could make the residents of Beverly Hills or Westchester "green with envy"

Cleveland also has the 2nd largest performing arts / theatre district "outside of Broadway" in New York City ... so these comparisons are
very bonafide on many levels.

As I experience my city, it is baffling to me that more people have no concept ... or any abiding appreciation of such an amazing "World Class City"

Last edited by JohnDBaumgardner; 10-26-2010 at 05:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.