U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 09:09 PM

10 posts, read 52,921 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I live in Huntsville, Alabama. After visiting Seattle in October I have fallen in love with mountains and wide-open spaces. Any ideas of where to move? Seattle would be ok as long as I was out of the city and didn't have to commute... man, that traffic is freakin' nuts. I love the outdoors especially hiking, camping, etc. I'm "done" with the heat and humidity here in the South.

Brad & Angelina are moving to New Orleans? Get real. After a week there in July they'll leave. Mark my words... they won't be there long. I've been to N'Orleans a few times in the summer and they were awful experiences due to the high temps and high humidity. Uggh...

I think I'm gonna avoid Wyoming and Montana due to the windy and cold winters. I don't think I want to live in California.

Is there really a lot of rain and cloudy skies in Western Washington?
Right now I'm looking into:
North of Seattle
Spokane, WA
Denver area, CO
Boise, ID

Thoughts on those cities? Other places you suggest?

Last edited by 2flyabove; 01-18-2007 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: Added comment about N'Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 09:25 PM

11,254 posts, read 44,604,174 times
You can go months on end without ever seeing blue skies and the sun in that area.

The humidity hangs in the air; or sometimes it's raining. Only it's coming down so slowly and in such fine droplets that you have to stand outside in it for 20-30 minutes before your mind says "its raining".

If you like a lot of sunshine, you're going to be disappointed with all the "grayness" of it all. The tradeoff is the very lush growth and forests that the moisture supports ....

Old 01-19-2007, 11:41 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,842,759 times
Try the Lake Tahoe region. OMY, BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!! If you like outdoors activities this place is heaven all year long. The buildings/houses do not have a/c as they only get about 3-4 days a year of temps reaching 90 and that is w/o humidity. And they were complaining too. HA!!!!!!!! It is warm and sunny during the day w/ nights and mornings being cool and crisp during the summer months. Are you retired or going to be needing just a small p/t job or do you need to be in a place w/ jobs? There are not a lot of jobs in the Tahoe region except for the tourism industry. It is all geared towards tourism. Reno, NV is about an hour away and offers more "industry" jobs. But the winter drive up to the lake can be brutal in bad weather but you still have tons of outdoor activities in Reno to take advantage of. If you want a small city closer to the lake then Truckee. Sacramento is about a 1 1/2- 2 hour drive from the lake depending on weather and traffic. Much larger than Reno but it also has many downsides. I'd probably stay in the foothills of the Seirra Nevada's and out of the main city but close enough to the mountains.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:07 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,890,058 times
Reno, You have fine mountains all along 395 and Tahoe is fine, the drive is actually never brutal, it is snowy sometimes. Don't know what brutal is. I have commuted the other direction on I80 for twenty years. Seldom is there a problem. The problems that occur are infrequent mudslides and the occasional wreck.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:02 PM

483 posts, read 1,800,275 times
Default The Berkshires

Have you considered northern Berkshire or western Franklin county, Massachusetts? How about Bennington county, Vermont? They have mountains, 4 seasons, lots of open spaces, wildlife, and rural life. The only downside is the lack of jobs.

Last edited by Hatless Wonder; 01-19-2007 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: more information

Old 01-19-2007, 05:22 PM

17,424 posts, read 21,445,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2flyabove View Post
Hello everyone!
Is there really a lot of rain and cloudy skies in Western Washington?
Right now I'm looking into:
North of Seattle
Spokane, WA
Denver area, CO
Boise, ID
I'd be very careful living anywhere near Seattle. Even places like Everett and Bellingham are having major crime problems. If you want to live in Western Washington, I'd suggest somewhere out on the peninsula, like Port Angeles or Port Townshend. The Olympics are much prettier than the Cascades anyway.

Western Washington is definitely gray and gloomy, but not nearly as bad as its reputation suggests. The summers are actually quite sunny. There are times we don't see a raindrop and very few clouds from early July to early September. The downside is that with all the traffic and no rain, air quality goes downhill.

Spokane is sunnier, but you're also going to get harsher winters there. Same with Boise and Denver.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:15 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,343,334 times
Lots of nice mountains in Arizona, specifically N. Arizona. Really nice places to live, small cities like ShowLow, PineTop, Preston--or over west toward Flagstaff and Sedona.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:48 AM

10,189 posts, read 25,149,665 times
And you might consider New Mexico--it is one big beautiful mountain. You can't avoid the site--in the best way!

Old 01-20-2007, 06:01 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,476,138 times
For whatever reason, Denver has always seemed to me to be a good alternative to Seattle for those who can't deal with the grey and rainy weather. It seems like they share a lot of similar attributes.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:20 PM

5 posts, read 129,569 times
Bellingham is very well located in terms of skiing, rock climbing, hiking, pretty much whatever you're interested in.

People have commented that crime is a big problem. That has not been my experience at all. Many people we know never lock their houses (not that I think it's a good idea to leave your house unlocked, but it's an indication that they feel safe). There is one neighborhood that is pretty dicey, and the most common crime you hear about overall is that cars get broken into when they are in remote parking areas, such as trail heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.