Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:22 PM

129 posts, read 250,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I don't know if I'd go that far in characterizing upstate inner cities. True, there have been more drugs the last several years leading to many of these murders. Mostly they're in certain ghetto neighborhoods.

I'm sure places like Phoenix (AZ), LA (Watts), Houston and others are much worse even when they were smaller.
Just this past year Ive seen 2 people shot, Ive known others that have been shot and I have stories about crime.

But if you want hard numbers then here you go

City Crime Rankings by Population Group

Albany, New York CITIES OF 75,000 TO 99,999 POPULATION: (126 cities)

number 10 Albany, NY

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0934323.html

2005 Murder Rate in Cities
(rate per 100,000 population)

Rank City Murder rate

21. Rochester, N.Y. 24.9

Ranking of least, most dangerous cities - USATODAY.com

Ranking of least, most dangerous cities

340. Buffalo (out of 371 cities)

(So switch the list around and Buffalo becomes number 32 most dangerous city in the country)

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Niagara Falls

(everything was worse than the national average except car thefts)

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: Offensive language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 11:24 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
Where the heck do you live that you've seen so much shooting, the inner city?

These statistics reflect the fact that in NYS the larger cities are mostly the inner cities. The close suburbs are not included and this is where most of the population lives. If they were the figures would be entirely different.

This is not the case in most states where all of the surrounding areas of a city have been incorporated within their parameters for governmental and statistical purposes. You have to read these things with a critical eye, they're not always as they seem.

Most people realize that an inner city has crime, ghetto areas, etc. Your experience is not the norm for upstate.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:40 PM

34 posts, read 36,835 times
Upstate NY has the best scenery in the East. Once you get out of the inner cities, the people are all great. The suburbs are very nice. The small towns have beautiful architecture. The rural people are into NASCAR, country music and Jesus, just like the South.

The problem is that upstate is lumped in with rich, liberal NYC. They don't mind lots of taxes, regulations and high utility bills.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:49 AM

129 posts, read 250,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Where the heck do you live that you've seen so much shooting, the inner city?

These statistics reflect the fact that in NYS the larger cities are mostly the inner cities. The close suburbs are not included and this is where most of the population lives. If they were the figures would be entirely different.

This is not the case in most states where all of the surrounding areas of a city have been incorporated within their parameters for governmental and statistical purposes. You have to read these things with a critical eye, they're not always as they seem.

Most people realize that an inner city has crime, ghetto areas, etc. Your experience is not the norm for upstate.
I live on the border of the hod but Im all through the hood all the time.

As a matter of fact someone was shooting near my house like 2 weeks ago

Old 05-15-2007, 02:52 PM

89 posts, read 564,780 times
I'm not going to lie. Elmira does have gangs, and most of them did move from NYC. I live in Elmira and see them all the time because I go to One of the high schools here.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:34 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,080 times
Tupelo Mississippi just logged their 1st murder of the year, I think that must stand for something. Yes, drugs are plentiful, but the local police are pretty on top of things and have some great undercover guys.

The economy is about to be on an upswing. Furniture jobs have been leaving for overseas the past couple of years, but...
Toyota announced in February they were going to build their 8th plant here in Blue Springs.

That is an automatic 2000 jobs when the plant is built. Plus the suppliers that will move in and now we have the construction going on, land selling for development, growth potential is very positive.

Our climate is pretty good. Hot summers, mild winters with rare snowfall. The occasional ice storm every 7 to 8 years and tornados.

People are friendly, and there are wonderful schools around.

Don't overlook Elvis's birthplace our even Faulkner's in New Albany or Grisham's in Oxford, all these places are on the rise.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:35 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
I have heard that Saratoga Springs, New York is quite a nice place. It is the gateway to the Adriondack north country and Lake George. The county that Saratoga Springs is located in also has one of the highest average median incomes of any county in upstate New York.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:21 PM

217 posts, read 845,193 times
Well, I don't think Toledo OH is in danger of becoming overcrowded (in fact, lots of people and businesses are leaving the city, like my brother put it today 'it's one of those cities that's just kind of 'there'), and as a result our home prices are dropping (we're not as bad as Detroit where you can get a house cheaper than a car, but it's getting there), so we don't have those two issues.

But, like everywhere else we've got high gas prices (saw 3.29 on the way to work), a measurable amount of crime (though I'm nowhere near fearful every time I go out or anything; I work third shift and consider myself to be pretty safe), etc.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:57 PM

653 posts, read 3,408,309 times
The Western Part of the Dakotas still have a sense of "Civility">>>something that is becomming rare most everywhere in this country.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:29 PM

413 posts, read 2,560,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh891 View Post
I have to go with Upstate NY also. I was born and raised there but moved out in my mid 20's. My family is still there and do not experience all the crime, horrible prices and overcrowding that I do in the south. Luckily, my dad is in law enforcement and make very good money for the area so that we always lived well. The reason I left was the lack of good jobs for a college graduate but my brother found a good job there (thanks to dad).
Horribles prices and overcrowding in the South. Wow you have it good there buddy.

The South has a great booming economy unlike Upstate NY and the prices are even better than in the Chicago area or further up North. Overcrowding -- you're in Atlanta one of the biggest cities in the United States. what about Greenville? Charlotte? Birmingham? Mobile? Am I missing something or are there just a whole lot of southern cities?

The South offers the best standard of living and friendly people. Come on down and I'll be your tax attorney/real estate broker :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.