Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 09:18 PM

3 posts, read 4,006 times

Advertisements

Many states are experiencing issues: rising crime, rising home prices, too many people at once, etc.

My question is - is ANY state exempt? Which states aren't part of the madness? Which ones are not in trouble of becoming overcrowded, over crime-y, etc? It's really weird to find there's negs. for every single state - I want one with less problems!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 09:48 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,426,438 times
Upstate New York, but there's other negatives in Upstate like lack of jobs and a lot of snow.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:41 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
In short, nowhere is immune from today's problems. Want a place that is affordable and not overcrowded? Chances are, the economy is on the skids, the weather is glum, and many conveniences (shopping, etc.) are hard to come by. Want a place with great weather? It will be expensive. Low crime and good schools? Expensive as well, as everyone else wants to move there as well and these areas will soon become overcrowded too. You have to pick your poison in a sense.

There's no such thing as paradise. No place is perfect. Except maybe New Zealand .

Last edited by dullnboring; 01-19-2007 at 12:05 AM..

Old 01-18-2007, 10:57 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Upstate New York, but there's other negatives in Upstate like lack of jobs and a lot of snow.
I totally agree with this one. If you can work from home (internet) then move to upstate NY. I have family up there and they keep telling me that the snow isn't that bad. (And these are people that had lived in AZ for decades and moved back to NY about 10 years ago)

Old 01-19-2007, 10:41 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,732,227 times
Default It is too general to consider it at an entire state level

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityseeker View Post
Many states are experiencing issues: rising crime, rising home prices, too many people at once, etc.

My question is - is ANY state exempt? Which states aren't part of the madness? Which ones are not in trouble of becoming overcrowded, over crime-y, etc? It's really weird to find there's negs. for every single state - I want one with less problems!
There are areas that are generally exempt from the type problems you list but I doubt you can find it at an entire state level. Must home in a bit more to particular regions.

Counties in SE Ohio will fit very well. Can find super low crime areas, low housing prices, you do not have the sprawl, traffic and conjestion type situations that so many areas in the USA have experienced. In SE Ohio you have a good number of counties to choose from, go from Monroe down the Ohio River to about the southern tip of Ohio. Adams county out in the SW part of the state can be prime get away from it all territory.

It can be a different World that most people don't know still exists. The economy in those different counties will vary. As will shopping and your access to goodies. You need a good selection criterion to find what might exactly suit your situation.

Every place has its own problem sets. Those SE Ohio counties generally will tend to be toward economic type issues. There are good high paying jobs available, all depends on your skills. Other issues trend toward finding good shopping close by, location is everything. In general you find the county seat, that will usually be the larger town and work out from there. It is best to have a major metro type area within an easy days shopping drive for most good picks. Monroe county fits well in that type of scheme. One of the best places around to get away from it all. The government actually is a bit on the sane side.

Plus those areas will also give you a decent weather situation. A good four season area with few extremes and can avoid most major type disasters that will ruin your life. I picked Monroe county after a very long search.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:15 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,757,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityseeker View Post

That is a reasonable question and one that has crossed my mind as well. However, if I had the perfect answer to that question, I don't think I would share it publicly. That magical place would then end up being infiltrated by the very problems we are seeking to avoid.

Cityseeker, if I ever find an answer to your question, I'll PM you!

Old 01-19-2007, 11:37 AM

612 posts, read 2,778,545 times
I have to go with Upstate NY also. I was born and raised there but moved out in my mid 20's. My family is still there and do not experience all the crime, horrible prices and overcrowding that I do in the south. Luckily, my dad is in law enforcement and make very good money for the area so that we always lived well. The reason I left was the lack of good jobs for a college graduate but my brother found a good job there (thanks to dad).

Old 01-21-2007, 05:56 PM

850 posts, read 3,158,632 times
Hi guys - have to ask a question - I have lived in Kentucky all my life - only visited New York City once - but I have family upstate that I am not close to.

My garndmother lived there when she was little - ended up here in the 40's.
What are the best qualities about up state New York? I habe heard it is beautiful.

Truly curious - what type of job opportunities?

KimmieyKY

Old 01-21-2007, 06:01 PM

338 posts, read 1,445,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
Hi guys - have to ask a question - I have lived in Kentucky all my life - only visited New York City once - but I have family upstate that I am not close to.

My garndmother lived there when she was little - ended up here in the 40's.
What are the best qualities about up state New York? I habe heard it is beautiful.

Truly curious - what type of job opportunities?

KimmieyKY
best qualities: the beautiful area...trees and fields, dairy farms, horse farms. Niagara Falls, State Parks, small towns, farmers markets, LOW crime, beautiful lakes and rivers, 4 seasons...BAD: NO JOBS and HIGH taxes!

Old 01-23-2007, 07:06 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,820,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
I picked Monroe county after a very long search.
What kind of economy does Monroe county have? Are jobs plentiful?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.