Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 07:43 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,766,988 times

Advertisements

No, I am not a student at UNR, but here are some pics:

Morrill Hall, the first building on campus:

Mackay School of Mines:

Mackay Science Building with snow;

Palmer Engineering:

Clark Admin:

Frandsen Humanities:

Honor Court:

Journalism:

Manzanita Lake:

The other side:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 07:57 PM

105 posts, read 476,774 times
It looks beautiful. Thank you for the pics bigdave.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:06 PM

Brian are you deciding between NAU and UNR? Are you in hs? I am also a HS student thinking about UNR.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
Brian are you deciding between NAU and UNR? Are you in hs? I am also a HS student thinking about UNR.
Yes I'm looking at both schools although I may go to a smaller school(preferably 3,000-5,000 students). I haven't been a hs student for some time now. Im not even a traditional college student anymore. I'm guessing you live in the reno area?

Old 07-15-2008, 12:29 AM

No I live outside of Sacramento, but because of the WUE program I can go to UNR for relatively cheap. I visit Reno fairly often, and know a fair amount about the area and school. What do you plan on majoring in? I know that UNR is known for engineering and journalism mainly, and Reno doesn't have the best job market. UNR is still fairly unknown for a school its size, and being the flagship of the state. I do think it has a lot of potential to grow as a university. There are a lot of commuters, although supposedly about 40% of students live within 1 mile of campus which is actually pretty good. I am a big college sports fan, and love Nevada's teams if you are into that.
If you like the outdoors Reno is also a great place to live. There is excellent skiing, dirtbiking, boating, camping, hiking, etc all very close.

One cool new development is that the city of Reno is revitalizing the NE section of downtown to become a mixed-use university type district. Something that I think the university is desperately lacking. Throughout the past few years downtown Reno has really been getting improving, and is continuing to do so. With the University so close to downtown it seems smart to make it more attractive to students.

Callison : Our Work (http://www.callison.com/ourWork/index.cfm?display=project&Project_ID=87 - broken link)

If you have any other questions I will answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
No I live outside of Sacramento, but because of the WUE program I can go to UNR for relatively cheap. I visit Reno fairly often, and know a fair amount about the area and school. What do you plan on majoring in? I know that UNR is known for engineering and journalism mainly, and Reno doesn't have the best job market. UNR is still fairly unknown for a school its size, and being the flagship of the state. I do think it has a lot of potential to grow as a university. There are a lot of commuters, although supposedly about 40% of students live within 1 mile of campus which is actually pretty good. I am a big college sports fan, and love Nevada's teams if you are into that.
If you like the outdoors Reno is also a great place to live. There is excellent skiing, dirtbiking, boating, camping, hiking, etc all very close.

One cool new development is that the city of Reno is revitalizing the NE section of downtown to become a mixed-use university type district. Something that I think the university is desperately lacking. Throughout the past few years downtown Reno has really been getting improving, and is continuing to do so. With the University so close to downtown it seems smart to make it more attractive to students.

Callison : Our Work (http://www.callison.com/ourWork/index.cfm?display=project&Project_ID=87 - broken link)

If you have any other questions I will answer them to the best of my knowledge.
I really appreciate all the help dude. If you live in Cali you might wanna consider going to school there. I know out of the 11 states I've lived and gone to school in Cali had the best public schools.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:00 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,968,010 times
I've been to both many times. While Lake Tahoe is nice, I didnt find Reno that appealing. It's desert, and while Tahoe is picturesque, Reno is NOT.

Flagstaff has some pretty cool pine trees and ski resorts, and a mountain looming over it...plus you can go to the Grand Canyon (gorgeous), in addition, you can drive right out of it towards Phoenix if the winter snow needs a temporary break. Plus cities like Sedona are not too far away, which is beautiful.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:35 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,326,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian21 View Post
So I'll rephrase my question and include reno, flagstaff and there surrounding areas(say within a hours drive).
I think the heart of the comparison is this: what is more scenic, the Grand Canyon or Lake Tahoe? Both are beautiful, but the nod should go to the Grand Canyon. It is absolutely staggering and completely merits its status as one of our country's premier national parks (Tahoe is part of a national forest area but does not have NP status). This is not a slight to Lake Tahoe, a special place in its own right.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:38 PM

10 posts, read 52,211 times
As a grad student, recently having moved to live on the UNR campus from Yonkers, NY - I can say that Reno has its fair share of beauty. The mountains surrounding Reno are brown and full of sagebrush and other "high desert" vegetation but if you like desert scenery it is stunning. And the mountains offer breathtaking views of the downtown area and the entire valley from different points in the city.

I think one of the most beautiful parts of Reno is the UNR campus. I think it has the most lush, green grass concentration anywhere in the city.
It really is an underrated school for its education value and campus beauty.

I would choose Reno over flagstaff because Reno has major amenities that a big city would have (parks, airport, attractions, tourism) but with a small town feel (read less traffic and no lines at stores). It also seems to be a city on the move. Could be the mass influx of californians who are settling here, but it seems that the local population really wants to improve their city's image and reshape it for this century.

Being a tourist town is great for the local economy and I think it helps keep the crime in the downtown area down since they want to keep it safe for the tourists to keep coming back. I always see RPD patrolling the areas near UNR and downtown in their cars, and bicycycles.

I was amazed by the number of stores and things to do in this "small town". It seems to have every conceivable chain department store and restaurant in the US. It really is the "biggest little city in the world"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.